1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Skipping Breakfast

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by ShyGirl, Aug 13, 2012.

1. ShyGirl

ShyGirl · Well-Known Member

Are your levels ok if you skip breakfast? Or worse?

2. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't eat breakfast. Never really have, I did as a kid. But can't stomach food 1st thing in a morning.

3. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When we get up and start flapping around showering, getting dressed etc our muscles are suddenly working and burning energy after a long period of rest (sleep) even our brains use more energy when we are awake, this sudden request for energy needs to be fuelled, either by food, eating breakfast, or our bodies will step in and do it for us via the liver dumping glucose into our blood steam for our muscles to use.

So its important to try to eat something, it needn't be a full English, just a piece of fruit, a slice of toast - Burgen/Nimble etc, some cold meat cuts and or cheese like a continental breakfast.

Not every diabetic is affected badly by the dawn phenomenon, and eating breakfast can stop a liver dump.

4. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I got up at 7.30 this morning, my bg was 6.0, I have just had a cup of tea since then. No strenuous activity and after grabbing a shower, I felt a bit off so tested again - 7.7

Says it all really doesn't it?
    :roll:

5. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I never used to eat breakfast - but I do now, and definitely feel better for it. I usually just have 1 microwave scrambled egg. Sometimes with a little cheese for taste.

I believe not eating breakfast as a kid (from about the age of 7) cntributed to my Type 2 developing.

P.S - "Busty" days? :wink: :thumbup:

6. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I have to agree Patch, I just couldn't function on a morning without breakfast.

8. Alliballi

Alliballi · Member

I'm exactly the same...Can't even face a cup of tea....But as I don't eat breakfast, I make sure I keep a check on my blood sugar, until I fancy something, which is usually 3 hours after waking...Then I just eat fruit, and that first cuppa :p

9. CathyN

CathyN Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Most important meal of the day!!

Almond porridge with soy milk ??? It takes seconds to make. is incredibly low carb but high on filling you up. Keeps me going till lunch :)

10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi shygirl I have never skipped breakfast, to me its the most important meal of the day, even pre diabetes. I too am very busy and even at times I am run off my feet then I would eat a piece of fruit,a yogurt drink, or a wholemeal bread roll, I'm type 1. Remember the liver dump, it can cause havoc with the BS. Take care and best wishes RRB

11. angua

angua · Well-Known Member

Haven't eaten breakfast since starting to low carb - just not hungry, so if its all the same, I'll eat lots of fat and protein, whenever it is that I do feel hungry

12. ShyGirl

ShyGirl · Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I believe that not eating breakfast can lead to T2 but i've not read much about it.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

Breakfast literally means ‘breaking the fast’after a long night with no food intake. Energy levels fall increasingly in the duration between dinner and the next morning’s breakfast which can last for as long as 12 hours. Therefore, breakfast is especially important as the first meal of the day as it rejuvenates the body and brain with the crucialnutrients they need after a night’s sleep.

14. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I don't eat breakfast. I have some coffee to wake me up, then switch to Chai tea and the first meal I have is lunch. It may not be the best way to deal with this, but there is no way I could face food even fruit when I get up. Horses for courses I guess.

15. keepinglean

keepinglean · Member

Hi, well for me. Skipping breakfast is not really advisable. I prefer skipping lunch because breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You are not advised to skip that meal, it is where you get the whole day energy for all of your school, work and sports activities. And please be reminded that the breakfast meal helps you to be more active, attentive, participative and happy all day long. Proper intake of meal is a must.

16. AMBrennan

AMBrennan · Well-Known Member

Whilst I generally prefer to have breakfast, skipping it does not have any noticeable effect on my BG.

@phoenix's quote:
    Where did this guy get his doctorate?

17. gem23:D

gem23:D Type 1 · Newbie

I sometimes skip breakfast and my sugar are normaly the same but I suppose it also depends on the type of insulin your using!!!! I have lantus and rapid so the lantus keeps my sugars level even with out food(obv not for to long) and the rapid is used when I do eat, but if you don't find the time to eat you could always use cereal bars I do that way you can eat on the go and take your meds!! :D

18. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find that if I eat breakfast, I just get hungry the rest of the day. I've always been an eat to live rather than live to eat type of person. If I could take a pill instead of food I'd be happy.
    I was never overweight until I put on 2 stone after a hysterectomy so I think thats what got me diabetic.

19. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I'm doing the 5:2 fast, and will be skipping lunch as well as breakfast today as I have decided to have my calories at dinner this evening. My BG's do rise slightly during a fast but nothing major, so would assume they would be the same due to me skipping breakfast?

20. Neicy0412

Neicy0412 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I too am not a breakfast lover, however I do have a banana, I find this helps, if I don't,I find my BG rises, which I find odd, but a banana and my insulin seem to do the trick. It's quick and easy :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook