SKIPPING MEALS

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Is it ok to skip meals? Lately i just haven't been hungry until tea time and seem to be falling back into my old habbits. When i used to to the gym i had to eat but now i dont go anymore i dont feel the need. The way i see it is, if your not eating you cant be eating the wrong things so your sugars should stay low! I cant test coz i'm out of strips for now. If i got it right it's only bad for type 1's to skip meals?

While i am eating tea times and supper times i have only been taking one lot of meds and it's only been just a few days i haven't been eating properly so i think it is a bit to early to tell anything yet.

Any opinions welcome

Elc1112

I'm a type 1 and I do skip meals occasionally. I dot make a habit of it bur there are tines, like you said, where you just aren't hungry, don't feel like eating or whatever. As long as my sugars levels are under control I honestly don't see the harm in skipping a meal every now and then. Just make sure it doesn't happen all the time and that skipping one meal a day doesn't turn into skipping two meals a day etc - not a route you want to go down, trust me!! Em

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I have a lie-in at the weekend and don't get up until gone 11 am, then I tend to only have two meals in that day. A few years back I mentioned this to my doctor and he said it was ok as long as I took all my meds (3 x 850 mg metformin).

Defren

I never eat breakfast, I just can't. I will eat enough at lunch time to take my meds with no dicky tummy (usually a few slices of ham with a little Philly in the middle, wrapped up and that is is. The ham and philly rolls I read about here, and they are perfect for me. Then dinner is really not a huge meal either. I am now eating about a quarter of what I did pre diagnosis, mostly because now in the evening I will not give in to a snack attack unless I have just a small handful of nuts, or a sugar free jelly. My calories today are around 644.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Defren said:
I never eat breakfast, I just can't. I will eat enough at lunch time to take my meds with no dicky tummy (usually a few slices of ham with a little Philly in the middle, wrapped up and that is is. The ham and philly rolls I read about here, and they are perfect for me. Then dinner is really not a huge meal either. I am now eating about a quarter of what I did pre diagnosis, mostly because now in the evening I will not give in to a snack attack unless I have just a small handful of nuts, or a sugar free jelly. My calories today are around 644.

Def, why are you eating so little? You've done brilliantly getting your BG under control, but 600kcal a day is a starvation diet, and you won't be able to sustain it forever.

Why don't you add some more protein and fat into your diet? You can do that without spiking your blood at all, and still end up posting weight.

I'm a big fan of sugar jelly too, but I eat mine with cream. Same with cheese, I've never really eaten it before, but when I am VLCing I find myself devouring it for energy (blue cheese salad is one of my lunchtime staples).

I know it isn't easy, I did exactly what you are doing when I was first diagnosed to get my BG under control. Now you've proved you can do it, I think that it would be a good idea to start eating some more food. This is a marathon not a sprint, after all.

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Defren, do you watch supersize v's superskinny? Someone was on there the other day eating the amount you do and was shown all the damage that it can cause. Go carefull.
On a lighter note, you seem to have great will power to do that and do you have any spare? :lol:

Defren

Hi Boro and Mistee. The amount I am eating really isn't a choice. I just can't manage any more - truthfully. I have popped a little single cream onto jellies, but totally unlike me pre diagnosis I start to feel sick very quickly. I was advised to speak to my Doctor and ask for Metformin SR which I plan to do. So not eating as little through choice, but purely as much as I can manage at this time. I will admit that I did have a fresh cream meringue my daughter brought home, it spiked me a bit, but the reason I am saying this is to show I am not intentionally cutting calories. :D

When I have salad I always have a good chunk of feta cheese, as I love it. It just seems at the moment my system can only tolerate limited amounts. My Doctor did mention gastric bypass, I genuinely don't think I need one :D I never ever feel hungry.

Defren

mistee71 said:
Defren, do you watch supersize v's superskinny? Someone was on there the other day eating the amount you do and was shown all the damage that it can cause. Go carefull.
On a lighter note, you seem to have great will power to do that and do you have any spare? :lol:

My secret tool is regular Metformin :mrgreen: