Skipping meals.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I decided not to eat this morning and my reading has gone up from 7.8 to 8.1.

Reactions: 6 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Well I decided not to eat this morning and my reading has gone up from 7.8 to 8.1.

Hi @learning2me. If you chose not to eat in the hope that your blood glucose would be lower, you're making a basic error. You eat to give your body the energy to build, repair & function as necessary. If your body can't get energy from the food you eat, it will release stored glucose from the liver. This causes BG to rise. It's best to eat regularly to prevent this from happening. Every 4 hours if possible. Not necessarily a full meal, but a healthy snack helps prevent the blood glucose ups & downs. Sometimes, there's just no let-up with managing Diabetes effectively. Try not to skip a meal. It really doesn't help long term. X

This link may help:
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com...dangers-skipping-meals-when-you-have-diabetes

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @learning2me. If you chose not to eat in the hope that your blood glucose would be lower, you're making a basic error. You eat to give your body the energy to build, repair & function as necessary. If your body can't get energy from the food you eat, it will release stored glucose from the liver. This causes BG to rise. It's best to eat regularly to prevent this from happening. Every 4 hours if possible. Not necessarily a full meal, but a healthy snack helps prevent the blood glucose ups & downs. Sometimes, there's just no let-up with managing Diabetes effectively. Try not to skip a meal. It really doesn't help long term. X

This link may help:
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com...dangers-skipping-meals-when-you-have-diabetes

FAO MODERATORS: This post is not derailing from the thread topic. It is replying to an FBG concern from learning2me.
Thank you for pointing that out,
Sometimes everything seems back to front and I can't quite grasp that I need to eat more not less,

Reactions: 4 people

Merrylizard1314

@learning2me, as AJ10 says, random skipping of meals may not bring your BGL levels down, but see Dr, Jason Fung on intensivedietarymanagement.com. for information on fasting. And in any case, remember to drink plenty of water, especially if eating less for any reason.

Reactions: 2 people

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday, 4.4mmol/L earlier today.

@learning2me, as AJ10 says, random skipping of meals may not bring your BGL levels down, but see Dr, Jason Fung on intensivedietarymanagement.com. for information on fasting. And in any case, remember to drink plenty of water, especially if eating less for any reason.

MODERATORS: this post is not derailing the thread topic. It is giving additional information to learning2me
Thank you for that.
I replied to AJ but my post seems to have disappeared.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Thank you for that.
I replied to AJ but my post seems to have disappeared.

That's ok @learning2me. The moderators obviously felt this topic needed a special thread of its own, so moved it from the Type 2: Fasting Blood Glucose thread. Probably a good call actually, as you'll get a more balanced set of opinions from far more forum members. If you ever decide to try fasting as a method to manage your diabetes, the link given by MerryLizard above is https://intensivedietarymanagement.com I personally haven't done it, but some forum members have with much success. I'm sure MerryLizard would be happy to pass on her knowledge about this strategy should you decide to give it a go. Good luck & best wishes however you choose to go forward. By the way, if you're having difficulty wondering what is ok to eat, why not take a look at the Food & Nutrition forum. Here is the link: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/food-nutrition-and-recipes.3/

AJ. X

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As pointed out you can see an increase in the morning due to a liver dump if you don't eat, but it would usually show as a bigger rise. I think that such a minor change in glucose levels is not particularly significant - meters are not 100% accurate - and the increase you've seen is within the margin of error.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people