Sleep Apnea (OSA) and T2

mobrien

I have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea in 435 minutes of sleep I stopped breathing 449 times for a period of 15 seconds or more :shock: and now I look like Darth Vader when I go to bed either that or an alien has escaped from the pod and has latched itself on to my face :D

Now after reading as much as I can about this problem it appears that T2 diabetics maybe prone to the problem but in another web site it states that sleep apnea can contirbute to the onset of T2 or T3 diabetes anyone else heard of this or do any of you have T2 + OSA

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was tested for sleep apnea last year, but it was ruled out after closer examination of a questionnaire and a consultation. My gp and diabetes consultant both said it is a common condition associated with both types of diabetes.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is a short extract from this American website all about Sleep Apnea, in particular OSA.
http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_apnea.htm

Primary causes and risk factors of obstructive sleep apnea

1. Being overweight or obese (although 50% of people with sleep apnea are not obese)

2. Large tonsils or adenoids

3. Other distinctive physical attributes (deviated septum, shape of head and neck, receding chin, enlarged tongue)

4. Nasal congestion or blockage (from cold, sinusitis, allergies, smoking, etc.)

5. Throat muscles and tongue relax more than normal during sleep (possibly due to alchohol or sedatives or age)

6. Obstructive sleep apnea does seem to run in families which may be a result of anatomic abnormalities or medical conditions that are genetic.

As some Type 2 Diabetic's may be overweight, not all, then the first comment about overwight and obesity is pretty relevant. Most of the ones I have met with it fall into that category.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband has one of those mask things. At least he's getting some useful sleep now.
Hana

mazbee

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea 3 years ago. I have a full face mask.
I have just had my annual visit to the sleep apnoea clinic, and they have changed my face mask to a new type but I am having difficulty with it fitting properly, as I tend to toss and turn in my sleep, and the new mask keeps slipping.

This causes my poor hubby to get blasts of cold air which escape from my mask.
I have another appointment for next week to see if my problem can be remedied.

charlie73

My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnoea about 18 months ago and was diagnosed with type 2 last week, I too had read somewhere that you are more likely to get diabetes if you suffered from sleep apnoea. My hubby has the mask that goes over the nose and mouth, he had trouble with sneezing and dry nose but that was remedied by the addition of a humidifier, his mask occasionally slips but it makes him snore, so I wake up and tell him to sort his mask out. Keep going with the mask, they are a revolution, my hubby and I had separate rooms his apnoea was so bad but for the first time in 7 years, we now share a bed again, which is worth the strange looking mask and the odd little problem, persevere with the appointments and they will find the right mask for you.

mazbee

Thank you. I had another mask given to me last week, it is a better fit than the one before.
The CPAP clinic have also lowered the pressure on my machine.

I go back Tuesday 1st June to see if this has helped. :)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but having lost a stone in weight things are much better.
I also use some nose drops most nights to open my nasal passages and sometimes use those nose strips. It is a most frightening experience and I'm really glad I've not had to resort to the use of a mask as I don't know which would be the worst.

outdoorgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got obstructive sleep apnea.I'm overweight but pretty fit, walking 5-6 miles at a time and swimming half a mile every day.I've been diagnosed with Diabetes 2 for about five years now but reckon I had it for at least five years before that. The OSA was diagnosed a year ago and I use a CPAP machine. It took some getting used to but now it's fine. Funny thing is, I've always slept incredibly well but would get suddenly dog tired during the day and HAVE to close my eyes, if only for five minutes. I've still got the tiredness. Told my GP so he wrote TATT on my blood test! It was fine, he reckons it me age (!). Where have I heard that one before!