1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sleep problems and diabetes

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Wurst, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is probably unrelated to Diabetes but it's worth asking just in case. For almost 1 month i've been having chronic sleep problems, waking up in the middle of the night either a 1 pm or 3 pm and unable to go back to sleep. Needless to say i am now exhausted.

I cannot find any posts or web information on this being linked to Type 1 diabetes, other than hypos.

I check my BS when I can't go back to sleep and it's always between 4.5 and 5 which is where i like it. I am at these levels during the day. My last HBA1C was 5 %. With these results in mind i'm ruling out midnight hypos. I strenuously exercise daily so i've also ruled inactivity.

Any thoughts ? Or should i join a sleep forum?

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Is there a possibility that you've had a hypo before you woke? There's probably a 100's of reasons for disturbed sleep, for example stress and worry to name a few, might be worth having a chat with your doctor Cblake843.

3. antmos

antmos Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Could also be your insulin. Lantis has quite a few nasty side effects. I also struggle with sleep :(

4. barnfluff1

barnfluff1 · Member

Hi I would suggest having a word with your gp...you may have sleep apnoea or some other sleep disorder. I know there have been studies regarding sleep apnoea and diabetes...and also know there are many people with diabetes that also have been diagnosed with sleep apnoea. good luck

5. lauratype110032011

lauratype110032011 · Newbie

hi cblake, I know how you feel I can have 1 hours sleep at night and then im awake all night and ive tried everything a bath before bed a hot drink nothing works for me my diabetes aint as well controlled as yours tho mine are between 10 and 20mml im thinking about going to the doctors about it iv also looked every were on net with no luck

6. clcunningham89

clcunningham89 · Member

I have had trouble sleeping but i just went to the doctor and he has given me a tablet to take at 10pm every night to help me sleep

7. janabelle

janabelle · Well-Known Member

Hi Cblake843
    As Antmos said, Lantus can cause terrible sleep distubance; including vivid dreams so you feel like you've had no sleep the next day. In my experiencee,this sleep disturbance atttributed to me feeling drugged up, constantly foggy headed & the rest:(. If you're on an alalogue, suchas Lantus, It's possible it could be the cause, as it was with me, and it's definately worth doing some research/internet searches.
    all the best
    Jus :)

8. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on Insuman basal and don't see any info on this causing sleep problems. I went to my GP and basically he wouldn't give me anything and referred me to a psychiatrist which i thought was a bit extreme and turned down the offer. I've tried every tablet known to man to help the problem , vitamin d3, magnesium , calcium , zinc , valrien root extract , meltonin etc etc
    A few days ago I didn't take my basal before bed and slept like a log so i'm now convinced it's the insulin. As i'm not sleeping well i get high reading on getting up (already awake hours before the alarm goes) even with the basal, i guess this is body releasing cortisol in response to lack of sleep. When I didn't inject before bed my readings were normal on waking (actually the alarm woke me).

All very confusing. I still need to inject basal and will attempt to inject earlier in the evening to see if this helps. Can anyone recommend a revised time to inject basal to avoid sleep disturbance?

9. pippin2345

pippin2345 · Member

Don't bother chnanging insulin times(Lantus) l take mine in the morning and still have a lousy nights sleep. If doctor will not prescribe sleeping tablets take 20mg of antihistamine about an hour before you go to bed and you'll sleep like a log. Best one Phynegon, can buy over the counter in 10mg and 20mg tablets. Or any of the old type antihistamines that have a drowsy side effect, although never take this much during the day as you'll be asleep on your feet. Good luck.

10. Ruth3

Ruth3 Type 2 · Member

For years now I sleep only 3 or 4 hours a night and have dark bags under my eyes as a result. I use my DS or now my Kindle Fire to while away the hours when all I would do is listen to my loved one snore from the moment he hits his pillow until the alarm goes off. The amount of books I read is phenomenal. I do sometimes doze off. I fell asleep in my porridge one morning, and toppled over into the cat litter when I I went to the loo one night (no I don't use the cat litter) we had a poorly cat,

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook