Type 2 Sleeping

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

For as long as I can recall I have always had to get up at the most every 3 hours or so in the night to urinate; however last night I slept for over 9 hours without waking once and was not even that desperate when I did get up.

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed that very occasionally I have slept longer, the longest being 6 hours before I had to rise to answer the call.

I just wanted to ask if there is anything I can read into this or is it all just random effects.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be that you have changed something or the the times you drink fluids etc; without realizing. I stopped drinking Coffee many hours before bedtime and that help me tremendously.
Caffeine is a culprit that does not help.
lets hope it is a result of good control helping with results.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a subject in which I have an interest although I don't have the final answer.

What I have noticed is if I have been good and maintained my control then my weight will slowly get lower. In this mode I pee every couple of hours. I can make this worse by drinking wine for a couple of days and then stopping. For the following couple of nights I wear out the hall carpet going to the bathroom and back.

During a binge I sleep longer. It doesn't have to be wine. Yesterday I had a very high reading and discovered that the yogurt I had eaten had 13.5g/100g sugar in it. This works out to about 18 teaspoons of sugar per pot. Big mistake but I slept for five hours straight.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Hi I used to get up a lot through the night I thought it was because I drank to much but obviously now know it wasn't,i have been sleeping and not getting up through the night which has been great as it just makes for an irritable person the next day,I have noticed that if I do not drink past 9.00pm and watch by BS levels there is definitely an improvement.Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Squire Fulwood what you say is very interesting. I have just realized that when I used to drink alcohol many years ago ( about 3 years ) I slept slept log. Now that I am a controlled (freak) diabetic type 2 , I get up during the evening to go for a pee.( no major problem ,used to it )
The strange thing is I was diagnosed type 2 two years ago yet got up to pee over the last 3 years.
Must add that I was a moderate alcaholic if that is the reference to a drink in the evening after work stress etc;

My simple point is will a glass of recommend wine help you sleep.:)

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the answers.

My last drink as such is 3pm when I have a coffee (strong and black). After that have a small glass of water with tea about 5pm then during the evening I drink a pint of water - maybe I should cut that down and see if it makes a difference.

As a matter of interest I have been told by my diabetic nurse not to go to sleep if my BS is below 8; if it is under I usually have a few biscuits and sometimes a fizzy drink - but whatever my BS is when I go to bed it hasn't seemed to make a difference in my rising habits during the night till the one night I first mentioned. Since that night I have been sleeping for roughly 6 hours before rising to pee.

My BS are not that well controlled, I try to eat low carb but don't always succeed; on rising BS is anything from 6-12 and during the day doesn't often fall below 9.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must declare my lack of sound knowledge on this subject (and others) but I strive to understand and invent an analogy to explain things if it works for me.

My normal state is to get up for a pee in the night. This point is to explain to myself why sometimes I get up more and sometimes I get up less.

I think it is something to do with weight gain and weight loss. What is it that "weighs". I assume it is the water which must be a component of fat.

If my body is busy filling my fat cells then water is held back and used for this purpose. If my body is slimming then it sheds fat (water).

I am also a moderate (ahem) alcoholic so I think that could be a factor in what my normal position is.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even with my blood glucose down to 'non diabetic' levels, I still get up once or twice during the night for a widdle.

I don't have a problem with this.
It is a combination, I think, of
How much I drink during the evening (I aim for 2 litres during the day, before I get home from work, and 1 to 1.5 litres during the evening.
And
Habit. If I wake, or if something wakes me, I tend to get up without conscious thought, and bumble down the landing, to the loo.

This is very different from the endless-widdle-plus-thirst caused by high blood glucose.
It is also very different from the I've-just-stopped-eating-carbs-so-I'm-dumping-fluid-retention experience.