Sleepwalking and night eating.

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
some mornings my blood sugars have been higher than expected, for no apparent reason. After a nasty fall last night whilst sleepwalking, it would appear I have been eating in My sleep. Has anyone heard of or suffer from this, and what is likely to be the cause? Apparently I have been doing this on and off for the past year or so, but this is the first time I have fallen, my OH says I was staggering and unsteady on my feet.
My forehead is very tender and a bit swollen this morning where I fell against something, and a large bruise if coming up over my right eye.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
some mornings my blood sugars have been higher than expected, for no apparent reason. After a nasty fall last night whilst sleepwalking, it would appear I have been eating in My sleep. Has anyone heard of or suffer from this, and what is likely to be the cause? Apparently I have been doing this on and off for the past year or so, but this is the first time I have fallen, my OH says I was staggering and unsteady on my feet.
My forehead is very tender and a bit swollen this morning where I fell against something, and a large bruise if coming up over my right eye.

Speak to your GP about this. I have a friend that gets up to all sorts of mischief whilst sleep walking...including eating. He's had to have a bed downstairs now because of the damage he does when falling downstairs...and as he crushed his spine many years ago he was causing himself a lot of damage. He has had broken arms and shoulders from stair falls.

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been to see the GP this morning,moot a same day appt, she has made some suggestions to help me, and changed the AD I was on. The wants to do some investigations into sleepwalking, and I have to go back and see her on Saturday.

Luckily I don't have any stairs to worry about.

Reactions: 2 people

niccolino

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Destruction to nature and wildlife.
Yes, I've been doing this for years and it drives me nuts. I don't know I've eaten until I see evidence of food wrappers in the bin the next morning. I also wake a lot during the night - never get a completely unbroken night's sleep. Sometimes I get tremendous sugar cravings when I wake during the night, and I'll do down and eat stuff I shouldn't, even though my intelligence tells me not to do it, the cravings are so strong it's hard to resist. I do try to eat regularly during the daytime, and have something before I go to bed, but it seems to make little difference. Then I'll go through a long stretch without night eating, until something triggers it again. It's very strange. I've tried to talk to my gp and dietician about it but my gp thinks it's purely psychological, and my dietician thinks it's down to not eating properly during the day. I do try to get everything right, I really do.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sleepwalk when I'm particularly stressed. Usually stropping about the house telling Mr B off, snapping at him when the poor man doesn't understand what is going on, and moving things (furniture, ornaments, etc.). For some reason, I once went round and flicked every electrical switch in the house. Go figure.

I have also left the house a couple of times. Fortunately, never beyond the garden gate.

And I have sleep-eaten a couple of times. One of them was about 25 years ago, and involved boiling a kettle, preparing and eating a pot noodle.

That STILL horrifies me.

But I am now convinced that each of the 'bad ones' was related to hypoing in the night. The carbs in the pot noodle (stolen from a flatmate!) are an obvious clue.

Most of my night hypos involve nightmares, which is when I am most likely to walk. Zombies under the bed, kind of encourage you to get OUT of bed...

Now my BG is under better control, things are much more peaceful.