Slimming world type 1..

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi are there any type 1's on here who follow slimming world?
I have tried following it myself over a year ago but didn't really get anywhere when doing it. I have googled for some meal plans but they all have like egg, salad in etc and I'm fussy... I don't like salad... Apart from cucumber and hate eggs!
Does anyone have any tips please?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ohitsnicola I tried SW and failed, I gave up as I went with 4 other ladies who lost weight every week and i was pound on pound off, I gave up in the end/ Exercise has been my go to in keeping the weight in check so running, cycling, swimming and walking, as long as you're eating healthy then the weight should drop.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried following it myself over a year ago but didn't really get anywhere when doing it. I have googled for some meal plans but they all have like egg, salad in etc and I'm fussy... I don't like salad... Apart from cucumber and hate eggs!

Nicola, it's that age old, different horsesfor different courses. Aren't there plenty other options, not involving salad?

I like a decent variety of foods, and almost always have a salad at lunchtime, but being frank, that's as much for the crunch, AND mouth feel as a love of iceberg lettuce.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi there,
Would not touch it with a barge pole personally. If you subscribe to zoeharcombe.com she has an article on it which explains its faults.
What is wrong with going low carb or keto instead?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, what about fish, meat, casserole's or curries ? I am making meat balls for dinner tomorrow night and some GF lemon shortcakes biscuits, made with almond flour.
I must admit I absolutely love salad and eggs too :hungry:
Good luck Nicola, how's the baby ?

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi, what about fish, meat, casserole's or curries ? I am making meat balls for dinner tomorrow night and some GF lemon shortcakes biscuits, made with almond flour.
I must admit I absolutely love salad and eggs too :hungry:
Good luck Nicola, how's the baby ?
Hello, oh yes I like them! I know I'm weird for not liking salad or eggs or sauces haha! She is good thank you... She was 3 last week!! They grow so fast!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello, oh yes I like them! I know I'm weird for not liking salad or eggs or sauces haha! She is good thank you... She was 3 last week!! They grow so fast!

Oh my goodness, 3 already !!, my newest grandchild will be 1 at the end of the month, they grow up so fast :wideyed::happy:
Good luck finding something you can eat x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nicola - cute photo btw! I did SW (or Fat Club) and just followed the general guidelines e.g. low fat, free foods (veg and fruit at the time) but it did not work for me and I've since found it easier to maintain my weight and blood sugars doing low carb and high fat (fish, meat, butter, cheese but much less bread, pasta and rice).
Slimming World made me feel permanently starving and I vividly remember heading to the pub for chips and mayo following the dreaded weigh-in. At the time I wasn't massively overweight but after initially losing a little weight, I just plateu'd.
Why did you choose SW by the way and are you doing it for the social support/motivation rather than the actual diet?

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi Nicola - cute photo btw! I did SW (or Fat Club) and just followed the general guidelines e.g. low fat, free foods (veg and fruit at the time) but it did not work for me and I've since found it easier to maintain my weight and blood sugars doing low carb and high fat (fish, meat, butter, cheese but much less bread, pasta and rice).
Slimming World made me feel permanently starving and I vividly remember heading to the pub for chips and mayo following the dreaded weigh-in. At the time I wasn't massively overweight but after initially losing a little weight, I just plateu'd.
Why did you choose SW by the way and are you doing it for the social support/motivation rather than the actual diet?
Hello, Thank you! I don't know how to go about starting low carb or I would... I think that would probably benefit me more to be honest because that would then mean eventually reducing the amount of insulin that I take daily. I chose slimming world because of the idea of "eating what I want" but I was doing it and just not losing any weight. My main issue though is lack of motivation and support!

D

Deleted member 83869

I am 6ft and about 17 stone now I need to lose weight desperately, but I have depression and tend to turn to food as a comfort :(

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi there,
Would not touch it with a barge pole personally. If you subscribe to zoeharcombe.com she has an article on it which explains its faults.
What is wrong with going low carb or keto instead?
The idea of still being able to eat what chocolate etc appealed to me because I love them too much lol. Low carb seems too expensive for me? And when I did try it before I was still feeling hungry on it, made me feel rubbish

D

Deleted member 83869

Oh my goodness, 3 already !!, my newest grandchild will be 1 at the end of the month, they grow up so fast :wideyed::happy:
Good luck finding something you can eat x

They sure do - she is at Nursery now too....but she is the height of a 5 year old haha - but her parents are 6ft and 6ft 5 haha!

Thank you x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, Thank you! I don't know how to go about starting low carb or I would... I think that would probably benefit me more to be honest because that would then mean eventually reducing the amount of insulin that I take daily. I chose slimming world because of the idea of "eating what I want" but I was doing it and just not losing any weight. My main issue though is lack of motivation and support!
In my own experience, I could not bear the idea of having certain foods that I craved being banned! So I eased in and converted 1 meal at a time to low carb. If you do it all at once you will feel rubbish as your body hasn't adapted and obviously if taking insulin it would mean you had some adjusting to do with your bolus/basal regime. You are a mum to very small people and need plenty of energy but as you already know, I suspect you wont' get much energy either from going to extremes (cutting all carbs at once or the SW low fat approach) or hitting the biscuits. Knowing this is easy but actually changing is a lot harder but does get easier with practice.
Getting consistent with 1 meal e.g. lunches over a week with 1 day when I allowed myself chocolate worked well for me. Scales just depress me so I avoided the judgement of the 'naughty step' and went by how I felt (energy levels, cravings, clothes fitting better?). Taking the pressure off helped but I did have to accept that getting in shape would be a slower process and I wouldn't get the thrill that rapid weight loss brings but after years of on/off dieting misery I was happy to aim for something longer term.
If SW works for you because someone is holding you accountable and the weigh in isn't depressing you then you could experiment with your own tactics and just go along for the support and motivation perhaps?

D

Deleted member 83869

In my own experience, I could not bear the idea of having certain foods that I craved being banned! So I eased in and converted 1 meal at a time to low carb. If you do it all at once you will feel rubbish as your body hasn't adapted and obviously if taking insulin it would mean you had some adjusting to do with your bolus/basal regime. You are a mum to very small people and need plenty of energy but as you already know, I suspect you wont' get much energy either from going to extremes (cutting all carbs at once or the SW low fat approach) or hitting the biscuits. Knowing this is easy but actually changing is a lot harder but does get easier with practice.
Getting consistent with 1 meal e.g. lunches over a week with 1 day when I allowed myself chocolate worked well for me. Scales just depress me so I avoided the judgement of the 'naughty step' and went by how I felt (energy levels, cravings, clothes fitting better?). Taking the pressure off helped but I did have to accept that getting in shape would be a slower process and I wouldn't get the thrill that rapid weight loss brings but after years of on/off dieting misery I was happy to aim for something longer term.
If SW works for you because someone is holding you accountable and the weigh in isn't depressing you then you could experiment with your own tactics and just go along for the support and motivation perhaps?
Sorry I thought I replied to this!
Scales depress me too but I get addicted to standing on them if that makes sense? I started low carb today... Kind of.

winelover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I sometimes use SW recipes as a guide then reduce the amount of carbs in the recipe. Their amount of pasta, rice etc is too much for me so i count carbs for everything else then work out a smaller amount of pasta, rice or potato for me. Seems to work and the rest of the family enjoy the food. Have you looked on this diabetes website at the free recipe books? There are some really nice books to download.