Slimming World

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: food

Hi Chrissie.
Have noticed your posts about your favourite slimming world ? Unfortunately the advice given to Diabetics at SW follows DUK advice. This is explained here taken from the SW site after I asked for a diet profile for a Diabetic ?

Q. Do you have any dietary requirements or preferences?
Diabetes-friendly
Food Optimising provides a healthy, balanced diet. Diabetes UK suggests that people with diabetes follow the same healthy, balanced diet recommended for the population as a whole. In general it is recommended that people with diabetes base meals and snacks around plenty of starchy foods.
This is easily achieved when Food Optimising. As with all medical conditions, it is important to follow the medical and dietary advice given by your health care team. For example some people with diabetes may be given specific advice on the amount of certain foods they should eat, so it is important to bear this in mind when choosing your Free Foods. Our Consultants cannot give specific advice relating to medical conditions, but they will be able to help you incorporate any dietary recommendations into your Food Optimising and support you in your weight management. Many of our members with diabetes have found their blood glucose levels and general health have improved significantly since following Food Optimising and a number also report that they require less medication now they have lost weight.

As someone who cannot tolerate Carbohydrates I wouldn't be able to follow their 'healthy' diet. It puts my Bg levels up into the stratosphere ! I hope you are able to achieve good Diabetic control of your numbers if you follow this SW diet. There may be someone along later who also uses SW.

Ken.

saintsarah

Happy New Year everyone.

I am comtemplating trying Slimming World diet - any advise from from fellow diabetics as to h ow this has worked for you? is there anyhting I should be careful of? I have about six stone to loose so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care

Sarah x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My wife did Slimming world and there was a type 2 in the group who lost 5 stone following the diet. I am told that there are individual diet plans set for people with diabetes but do check with your gp/diabetes nurse before enrolling, even then check that the diet sheets are suitable to your needs.

Nigel

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
Hi Sarah,

I am currently attending slimming world meetings, and have found the support and encouragement great.

I'm very competitive and have so far not lost any of the slimmer of the week awards.

Now for the nutritonal stuff - I'm a follower of low carbing and low GI based diets, Slimming does not take this into account and actively encourage the starchy carb with every meal line - when I asked my doctor this he replied with the often used phrase in a doctor's surgery - b****s.

If you take this into account slimming world can be extremely helpful in gradual and healthy weight loss.

Good luck,

Have lost 3 Stone with Slimming world and 5 stone overall - so it works.

Ben.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
before I was diabetic/knew I was diabetic*, I followed the Slimming worl ddiet for a few months. lost nearly 2st, mainly using the "Green" diet.

Looking back, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that actually contributed towards me developing T2 diabetes. I ate a LOT of pasta on that diet, while cutting the fat completely.

*Delete as appropriate

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
BPM said:
I'm very competitive and have so far not lost any of the slimmer of the week awards.

My wife has a fridge door full of magnets which she won for her achievements whilst with Slimming World, there some very amusing sayings written on them, one is:

''Little pickers where big Knickers''................... :shock:

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:
Looking back, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that actually contributed towards me developing T2 diabetes. I ate a LOT of pasta on that diet, while cutting the fat completely.

I despair at times Patch, eating carbs does not cause diabetes, neither does being overweight.

If eating Pasta caused diabetes then every Italian would have diabetes.

If being overweight caused diabetes then about half the western world would be diabetic.

daintytweety

I am doing slimming world for 4 to 5 weeks ,its 1 week down and 1 week up.I am diabetic on insulin,Lantus 44.metformin 500mg 3 times a day.Simvastatin,and Ramipril.
I want to continue slimming world but when will I crack it?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem wth Slimming World and Diabetes, is that your insulin requirments will vary wildly whether you are on a Red Day, or a Green Day. There is the potential for hypo's on a Red Day, and then High BG's on a Green Day...

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have done Slimming World a couple of times, each time losing a fair amount of weight. First time I was a teenager and lost nearly a stone, last time was a couple of years ago and I lost about a stone and a half. I am a Type 1 and did find that on red days I would hypo because of the lack of carbs, and on green days my bg would be okay as it kind of fitted in with the carbs I was used to eating. Having said that, you can now do a mixture of red and green on one day, providing you cut out some of the Healthy Extra's and I find this very useful (mmm, spag bol or cottage pie for tea!!)

I have also done WW but found this too restrictive. I've just started SW again this week (I have all the bumpf and do it from home), and am already feeling better in myself for cutting out all the rubbish.

:lol:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
noblehead said:
do check with your gp/diabetes nurse before enrolling, even then check that the diet sheets are suitable to your needs.

Isn't it funny how we are always told to check with our GP before undertaking a diet, when the only dietary advice most T2 Diabetics get from their GP or Dietitian is "Eat more carbs, eat less protein, don't test your blood, and come back in 20 years to get your feet amputated"?

Maybe I'm cynical, but have the distinct feeling that most of them wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a diabetes friendly diet and a packet of Chocolate Hobnobs.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
Maybe I'm cynical, but have the distinct feeling that most of them wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a diabetes friendly diet and a packet of Chocolate Hobnobs.

Maybe you are................certainly not for me to say! :)

Nigel

roxy44

Hi
i am joining slimming world on monday, got some vouchers of the practice nurse for a free 12 week course...i need to lose about 5 stone, has anyone tried the diet with diabetes? many years ago i lost 2 stone on it!!....but i mainly had to be on the green days..ie, potatoes, rice and pasta etc,
any advice from anyone thats done the diet please?
many thanx

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
Hi again Roxy,

At slimming world atm, 3 stone in 2 months, you need too tailor it too your own needs and diabetic requirements, ignore the standard line of eating starchy carbs every meal, find your balance, be proactive, go that extra mile and you will lose the weight.

Good luck,

Ben.

roxy44

well done Ben on your 3 stone loss in a short time too, can i ask what you might have on a green day instead of mash, past or rice?. thanx

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Don't know if this is any help or not but when I went into an independant health food shop they suggested millet, it's boiled in same way as cous cous but I was told it's protein not carb. I haven't had any myself yet as I'm still new and looking to learn what changes I need to make. But I'd always go to an independant as I feel they're more knowledgeable.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Sorry but according to this, Millet does have carbs !

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup (200.0 g)
Amount Per Serving Calories 756 Calories from Fat 7 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 8.4g..................................................... 13%

Saturated Fat 1.4g .................................................7%

Polyunsaturated Fat 4.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g

Cholesterol 0mg ................................................. 0%

Sodium 10mg ..................................................... 0%

Total Carbohydrates 145.7g ............................. 49%

Dietary Fiber 17.0g.................................................. 68%

Protein 22.0g