Slimming World

She22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much
Hi folks, any thoughts on being with Slimming World? I just joined a couple of days ago as I felt I needed a bit of structure and support in loosing weight. I have lost nearly two stone since diagnosis 12 weeks ago but felt I needed a bit extra help. I haven't seen anyone in the clinic since my diagnosis and won't until July. Any thoughts on SW would be welcome, thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they do a Slimming World with diabetics in mind so you should get plenty of help with what to eat

Reactions: Pinkorchid

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think they do a Slimming World with diabetics in mind so you should get plenty of help with what to eat

My wife did the SW diet a few years back, there was a chap with type 2 diabetes on the course who lost 5 stone, not sure what meds (if any) he may have been taking to control his diabetes.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I could be wrong, but I think SW is a low calorie/low fat/relatively high carb scheme. If you stick to the plan, you will lose weight, but most people eventually gain it back and more.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to SW for 6 months last year, after a referral from my GP. I was put off by all the low fat foods that they were pushing; I knew low fat had always been my downfall in the past. I also didn't like the fact that snacks are allowed, particularly fruit or snack bars. I felt I needed to get out of the habit of reaching for a snack - especially one in a packet. I just used the weekly sessions for a weigh-in and I followed LCHF having 2 or 3 meals a day. If you follow the SW lowest carb plan (not sure what it's called - 'original' maybe?) it could work for you. Their diabetic leaflet is pretty bland and not at all helpful. To be honest I got better dietary advice from this forum and some low carb websites.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you will find SW has diets based around the low-fat/high'ish carb matra which we know is out-dated and wrong for diabetics. I'm sure it provides discipline but as a diabetic diet is a lifestyle change for life overall it is better to make that change yourself and avoid the cost of SW branded foods. Whatever you do keep the carbs down and don't worry two much about fats.

G

graj0

Any thoughts on SW would be welcome, thanks.

From what I see on their website and just googling "Slimming World low carb", it looks like there is no low carb option, it could be there somewhere but I couldn't find it. As you've lost 2 stone since diagnosis, well done, but you may want to continue doing what you're doing because it obviously works. If you've lowered your carbs you may have to "doctor" the recipes given. I've done it in the past, just fiddly sometimes. Also, they say that they don't have a forum because people misuse the message boards and give bad advice, something I've never seen of Tesco Diets when they were around, so unless that's changed, that is a shame, I think we all benefit from communicating with people in the same boat. As with anything that one reads on the internet, it's always worth checking what you read and never take anything as 100% gospel unless you're reading from a reliable source that you trust (99% reliable LOL).

The benefits are all the online recipes, being told what to eat, monitoring what to eat, all possible without Slimming World but more work. It provides the structure you seek and there are support groups that you can go to, which some find useful. Having said that, my wife use to go to Weight Watchers, get weighed and go back to work. She said the shame of not losing kept her on the straight and narrow. However, as we all know, even sticking to plan, weight loss will slow down and stop eventually. It does obviously benefit many people as do Weight Watchers who do have a low carb plan.

She22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much
Thanks folks, much appreciated

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The old "red day" Slimming World diet is lower carb, higher protein/fat but I think that they've recently changed the plans. I do have a friend who lost a considerable amount of weight using slimming world and has gone from T2 to prediabetic levels, and my sister has lost 3 stone so far using the plan. Sometimes I feel sorry for my parents when we're both at their house for dinner, as it's a case of Jack Spratt and his wife!

Reactions: Pinkorchid

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can still do red on slimming but you have to ask the consultant for the details as they don't really want to advertise it as they want everyone to do extra easy. I can email the details of the original diet as my friend does slimming world (she's non-diabetic by the way) and she will pdf the original plan if I ask her.

steppitoe

With Slimming World there are a number of different options and nobody makes you eat snacks if you do not want to!

You can choose to be high carb or low by deciding what to eat from within the plans.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With Slimming World there are a number of different options and nobody makes you eat snacks if you do not want to!

You can choose to be high carb or low by deciding what to eat from within the plans.
True, but they sell their own brand of 'healthy snacks' there, so it makes it harder to resist them. Nobody can make you eat low fat if you don't want to either :)

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do slimming world then everything has the fat taken off or it will be "synned" and high fat is high syns as well.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

If you do slimming world then everything has the fat taken off or it will be "synned" and high fat is high syns as well.
Depends which plan you follow. IIRC, on green days you have 4 healthy extras - 2 As and 2 Bs. For green days, full fat cheddar is on both lists so you could have 4 portions. 120g of cheddar is a big lump of cheese. Or have nuts as a B choice for healthy fats. Avocados are high fat and you still get change out of your daily syns if you eat one.

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been at SW off and on since it started on the original red, then red and green.
I stopped going last year for good end of last year..
It was a constant re invention of the ''business'' plan.
You could never mix red or green days, this was what the ''business'' was based on,along with a huge range of recepie books.
Over the years it was tweaked and changed,and old books made redundant, and new books printed.
Then they introduced ''easy extra'' which all of a sudden was hailed as the second coming, along with a whole new range of recipie books.
All of a sudden the RED / GREEN days which the ''business'' was started with,
was now relegated to the back of the book,and ask if your interested.
Easy extra,now enabled you to mix both red and green, something the original diet
would not allow, all of a sudden its fine, how is that.
I thought it a recipie for disaster,short term gain, long term lose, basically what the ''business'' is about I would say.
As a red only dieter,nearest to low carb, high protein, NOT fat,I was able to pay my fiver a week,but trated basically as an out cast as they were totally pushing the easy extra plan.
I decided if I was not getting support for my fiver, why go, after all once you weigh you go home and do the hard work, until you go to class and pay the next fiver.

clairelv

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks, any thoughts on being with Slimming World? I just joined a couple of days ago as I felt I needed a bit of structure and support in loosing weight. I have lost nearly two stone since diagnosis 12 weeks ago but felt I needed a bit extra help. I haven't seen anyone in the clinic since my diagnosis and won't until July. Any thoughts on SW would be welcome, thanks.

one of my good friends has lost 40 pounds with this plan . i love it because i wouldn't feel hungry . ok .here it is .
breakfast : one egg with a glass of milk (low fat ) one apple
and you need to eat eggs( white) or beef or fish 70g per 2 hours .
lunch time : one glass of water 500ml first . and 250g vegetable .and 70g beef or fish or egg(white) .fruit (apple or orange)
sacks as same as above per 2 hours
dinner : water first .250g vegetable . one pear . 70g chicken (without skin) beef or fish .
snacks again till sleep
you must pick one day no fruit no vegetable during a week .
what you have to do else is walking . about 8000-10000 step every day .

this method is called "low calorie " treatment . you have to eat some snacks per two hours means : we need to eat something to stimulate insulin secrietion in order to decopose fat ! but the snack must be low calories .
i checked this on line .it is .
i tried 1week and it really useful . i lost 5pounds . and didn't feel hungry and hard .so i will continue .............
if you like .try it .
and more
chicken : chicken breast is better
beef: do not cook it too greasy
fish : do not eat too much . 70 g
fruit : one apple .or one orange . half banana . or 120ml watermellon
vegetable: lettuce.green paper. cabbage....
and you have to get a scale : small and accurate . i got one from amazon which is very friendly to use .you can search "carelove" on amazon ,pick one suit you ...
and a passometer . Omron is better .

Pugfugly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could be wrong, but I think SW is a low calorie/low fat/relatively high carb scheme. If you stick to the plan, you will lose weight, but most people eventually gain it back and more.
I think regaining the weight usually happens when people stop going to group. If you continue to go to group then you get hints, tips and fellowship of other members in the same boat.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Any thoughts on SW would be welcome, thanks.

I am a type II diabetic and I'm overweight and that means I have two problems. SW might help solve one of them if weren't for the fact that the more carbs I eat, the more insulin my body produces (c-pep shows my insulin production is in the normal range) and the more insulin I produce, the more likely I am to store fat.

While I was eating carbs, strongly recommended by my GP at the time I had to take Rosiglitazone and then Gliclazide and Januvia which enabled my pancreas to produce even more insulin which resulted in weight gain. So cutting carbs for me was a no brainer.

I think the basic principles of the likes of SW and WW are sound, but as we're diabetic needs some tuning to restrict carbs as well as calories. I have heard several people say that calories don't matter, it's not a principle that applies to all of us.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not always so my daughter got to her target weight on SW and two years on she still hasn't put the weight back but she does still eat the SW way. That is why SW say it is not a diet it is a life change way of eating She is not diabetic but says there were some in her group and it was adapted to suit them

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed