Slimming World

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I am being pressed to join Slimming World with friends who already attend because they say that there is a new diet especially for type 2 diabetics that has been designed in conjunction with Diabetes UK!
Has anyone experienced this diet? I left Slimming World when they abolished the Original diet (red days) which suited my low carb approach very well.
The Extra Easy diet which allows unlimited carbs is no good for me - the "syns" are geared towards this diet too now.
I also found the desserts allowed too much sugar - Muller Lights are a no-no for my BG (I buy my own strips and test all the time.)
Can anyone tell me about this new diabetic diet? I would be very grateful.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I am being pressed to join Slimming World with friends who already attend because they say that there is a new diet especially for type 2 diabetics that has been designed in conjunction with Diabetes UK!
Has anyone experienced this diet? I left Slimming World when they abolished the Original diet (red days) which suited my low carb approach very well.
The Extra Easy diet which allows unlimited carbs is no good for me - the "syns" are geared towards this diet too now.
I also found the desserts allowed too much sugar - Muller Lights are a no-no for my BG (I buy my own strips and test all the time.)
Since DUK doesn't seem to have gotten the memo about low carbing, I'd be surprised if this "diabetic diet" was any good for T2s.

But it's nice that your friends want you to be included :)

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure almost !!! That the diabetes uk site advocates the gov. Eat well plate ..with tons of carbs . So I wouldn't want to join any affiliation or guide lines linked to them .. Sorry if this sounds harsh ..but I had my life almost trashed by the eat more carbs now you have diabetes lot :banghead:

Reactions: 6 people

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for these comments - what a beautiful dog you have for your avatar btw Enclave!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. All you have to do is read the recipes on DUK to see what foods they advocate for diabetics. I also found this Slimming World site with the diet on it http://www2.slimmingworld.com/useful-features/losing-weight-with-diabetes.aspx

Eat regular meals every day
Aim to eat a regular breakfast, lunch, evening meal (and healthy snacks when you need), this wil help control your blood glucose level and appetite. The flexibility of Food Optimising means you can choose when and what you want to eat making it easy to meet your individual needs.

2. Enjoy starchy, carbohydrate-rich food at each meal
With Food Optimising you can eat regular amounts of starchy carbohydrates at each meal. Pasta, potatoes, rice and noodles are Free Foods, which means you decide how much you want to eat, and when you want to eat it!*

Wholemeal bread and wholegrain cereals are Healthy Extras, so you can enjoy them every day too. Filling up on fibre-rich foods is great for weight loss because they help keep you feeling fuller for longer.

3. Easy ways to eat less fat
When you're Food Optimising you automatically reduce your fat intake:

• high-fat foods are counted as Syns, so they're limited, while oily fish, which is rich in ‘good’ fats is Free
  • you're encouraged to choose low-fat and fat-free versions of dairy produce, such as milk, yogurt and cheese
  • trim off fat from meat, bacon etc. and remove skin (the high-fat bit) from poultry
  • cook using healthy, fat-free methods such as grilling, steaming or baking instead of frying.
4. Fill up on fruit and veg
The Department of Health recommends we eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day; with Food Optimising you can eat as much as you like*. This is because fruit and vegetables are super-healthy, low-energy foods to fill up on.

5. Include more beans, peas and lentils
Following Food Optimising means it’s easy to include more pulses in your meals. Foods such as butter beans, cannellini beans, kidney beans, chickpeas and lentils are all Free, and can be added to make satisfying casseroles, stews, soups or salads.

6. Include more oily fish
It is recommended that you aim to eat at least two portions of oily fish a week such as mackerel, pilchards, salmon and sardines. Rich in healthy polyunsaturated fats, oily fish are Free on Extra Easy and Original, and Healthy Extras on the Green choice.

7. Easy ways to eat less sugar
Like high-fat foods, sugary foods count as Syns and so are automatically limited when you are Food Optimising. There’s no need to go without sweet tea or fizzy drinks: artificial sweeteners are Free Foods and can be used in drinks and in cooking; diet and sugar-free versions of fizzy drinks are also Free.

8. Keep an eye on salt
It's easy to monitor your salt intake when you’re Food Optimising because you’re encouraged to prepare meals using fresh foods, rather than eating a lot of ready-made and convenience dishes. Herbs, spices and garlic are all Free Foods.

9. Keep an eye on alcohol
All alcohol counts as Syns, so is limited when you're Food Optimising. A small glass of wine or half-pint of beer are both around 5 Syns, so with a typical daily allowance of 10 to 15 Syns, you can enjoy one or two drinks a day.

*NB: Some people with diabetes may be given specific advice on the amount of carbohydrate-rich foods or fruit to eat. If you’ve received this advice, it’s important to bear it in mind when choosing your Free Foods.

- See more at: http://www2.slimmingworld.com/useful-features/losing-weight-with-diabetes.aspx#sthash.qsLwd3Ju.dpuf

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. All you have to do is read the recipes on DUK to see what foods they advocate for diabetics. I also found this Slimming World site with the diet on it http://www2.slimmingworld.com/useful-features/losing-weight-with-diabetes.aspx

Aim to eat a regular breakfast, lunch, evening meal (and healthy snacks when you need), this wil help control your blood glucose level and appetite. The flexibility of Food Optimising means you can choose when and what you want to eat making it easy to meet your individual needs.

With Food Optimising you can eat regular amounts of starchy carbohydrates at each meal. Pasta, potatoes, rice and noodles are Free Foods, which means you decide how much you want to eat, and when you want to eat it!*

Wholemeal bread and wholegrain cereals are Healthy Extras, so you can enjoy them every day too. Filling up on fibre-rich foods is great for weight loss because they help keep you feeling fuller for longer.

• high-fat foods are counted as Syns, so they're limited, while oily fish, which is rich in ‘good’ fats is Free
  • you're encouraged to choose low-fat and fat-free versions of dairy produce, such as milk, yogurt and cheese
  • trim off fat from meat, bacon etc. and remove skin (the high-fat bit) from poultry
  • cook using healthy, fat-free methods such as grilling, steaming or baking instead of frying.
The Department of Health recommends we eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day; with Food Optimising you can eat as much as you like*. This is because fruit and vegetables are super-healthy, low-energy foods to fill up on.

Following Food Optimising means it’s easy to include more pulses in your meals. Foods such as butter beans, cannellini beans, kidney beans, chickpeas and lentils are all Free, and can be added to make satisfying casseroles, stews, soups or salads.

It is recommended that you aim to eat at least two portions of oily fish a week such as mackerel, pilchards, salmon and sardines. Rich in healthy polyunsaturated fats, oily fish are Free on Extra Easy and Original, and Healthy Extras on the Green choice.

Like high-fat foods, sugary foods count as Syns and so are automatically limited when you are Food Optimising. There’s no need to go without sweet tea or fizzy drinks: artificial sweeteners are Free Foods and can be used in drinks and in cooking; diet and sugar-free versions of fizzy drinks are also Free.

8. Keep an eye on salt
It's easy to monitor your salt intake when you’re Food Optimising because you’re encouraged to prepare meals using fresh foods, rather than eating a lot of ready-made and convenience dishes. Herbs, spices and garlic are all Free Foods.

All alcohol counts as Syns, so is limited when you're Food Optimising. A small glass of wine or half-pint of beer are both around 5 Syns, so with a typical daily allowance of 10 to 15 Syns, you can enjoy one or two drinks a day.

*NB: Some people with diabetes may be given specific advice on the amount of carbohydrate-rich foods or fruit to eat. If you’ve received this advice, it’s important to bear it in mind when choosing your Free Foods.

- See more at: http://www2.slimmingworld.com/useful-features/losing-weight-with-diabetes.aspx#sthash.qsLwd3Ju.dpuf

Ye Gods @Bluetit1802 that quote is scary! Made more so because chunks of it make sense, while simultaneously pushing some really irresponsible advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ye Gods @Bluetit1802 that quote is scary! Made more so because chunks of it make sense, while simultaneously pushing some really irresponsible advice.

It was this sentence that got me:

Pasta, potatoes, rice and noodles are Free Foods, which means you decide how much you want to eat, and when you want to eat it!*

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

8. Keep an eye on salt

OMG!!!!!!

That's the similar advice I received that had me so bad in hypo hell.

It's a recipe for disaster!

It's a death warrant for us RH ers!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Even my diabetic cat's vet knew to advise me to cut back on her carb intake, and that was several years ago.

(Commercial cat foods have way too many carbs and that is why feline diabetes rates have increased. They shouldn't be eating carbs at all but, you guessed it, the manufacturers use grains as fillers.)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I can't tell you anything about slimming world but I don't think slimming world is a good idea anyway. If you want to lose weight and keep your BG normal I'd vote for LCHF. Your friend might think you are crazy though.