Slippery slope

titchvic

Hi,
I have only just registered on here so apologies if its inthe wrong place etc.
My husband has had type 1 for 35 years and at his eye appt today has been told that he cannot have any further laser. There are some small worsening bleeds but they wont treat them as they are right in the centre of his vision and he could lose his driving licence if they zap them as they cant guarantee the effect on his sight. They also warned him not to have any bangs to the head (including heading a football when playing withh is sons) as this may cause them to burst and then they would have to intervene, therefore risking his sight.
I'm sorry, I know this sounds trivial compared to some of the posts I have read on here, but we feel at the top of a slippery slope. I want to be strong for him, but just want to cry at the moment (which is really daft because it hasnt even happened, its only a maybe!) We have 2 small children and all I can see at the moment is what he could miss.
Anyway, I guess I just wanted to talk to someone who might understand. The consultant just put it in such a direct way that it has really affected me. He was quite blunt, and I guess we weren't ready for him to be so upfront about the effects and consequences.
Please dont shout at me for being trivial - I apologise for that already. Just need to get it off my chest so I can put it on the back burner and get back to normal again
I'll be fine by tomorrow.
If you've read this far, then thank you for your patience x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not trivial at all and sorry to hear of your husbands circumstances! :(

Did his Opthamologist say what they plan to do about the bleeds?.... there is a surgical procedure they can do called a Vitrectomy but unsure if this is appropriate in your husbands case.

titchvic

Thank you for replying
They aren't going to do anything - "come back in 4 months and we'll monitor it."
I will google vitrectomy - nobody has mentioned it to us? We were given to understand that we were at the end of the road as far as eye treatments could go?