Slow healing big toe

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Hey all , was wondering if other Diabetes are slow healers.

I really stubbed my big toe about 6 weeks ago, bruises formed on my big toe almost up to my ankle and there was also bleeding under the toe nail and my whole foot was very swelled.
Hospital said it wasnt broken just badly bruised and maybe chipped.

Anyway bruises have gone however my big toe is still aching constantly and it appears still to be quite a shade of red with the I dont know if its congeled or fresh blood underneath the toe nail.
Its also getting very warm and swelling as well.

Anyway went back to the docs with it two weeks ago and was given anti bs , but to be honest its still giving me jip - any thoughts?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Janieb,

I would go back and see your gp and discuss, he/she may refer you to a podiatrist for further investigation and treatment. Sometimes gp surgeries have visiting podiatrists, mine does so I usually have my annual feet check done whilst attending clinic for my diabetes check-up.

Anyway, hope your toe gets better soon, having diabetes does make the healing process a little slower than non-diabetics, but best to see your gp just the same.

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
You have my sympathies.

A couple of weeks ago, whilst sunning myself in the back garden, I had an insect bite on the top of my left foot. It went very red and angry and the swelling soon spread. Only a VERY strong dose of antibiotics got rid of it.

Same thing has happened this weekend, but with my right ankle this time. It's weeping, swollen, red and hurting like hell. I'm off to the docs first thing in the morning.

Come to think of it, I always get eaten alive with mozzies whenever I go abroad. I wonder if insects can detect our "sweet" blood?

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
I stubbed my big toe about 4 months ago. The nail went black and only now does it seem to be healing with new nail coming through. A pharmacist friend of mine said he did the same thing and it was almost a year before his healed completely & (to my knowledge) he is not diabetic.