Slurred speech

Steven76

I've been diabetic now for 20 years,insulin controlled.my sugar levels are never stable it's uncontrollable.I've been running very high for weeks now then I panic shoot insulin and end up low then eat the food cupboard lol.what concerns me is at times,not neccessarily when my sugars are at extremes my speech gets slurred and my wife accussed me of drinking or taking drugs or something.I don't do either and really would like know what causes this slurred speech.thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As there are over 250 possible causes of slurred speech which can include side effects of some Medications it is important that you seek medical advice ASAP for this. Whilst it can be humourus to some it can be signs of a serious problem.

Please see your GP and discuss.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Steven,

Like Ken says, it's best to get this investigated as there are many other causes for slurred speech and may well not be diabetes related. Hypoglycemia can cause confusion and make some people talk disorientated, but as you say your levels are high when you slur this obviously isn't the case, so for peace of mind do see your gp.

Nigel

Steven76

I've been to doc got tested I'm on blood pressure mess but all else fine.my mouth gets very dry when bloods unstable.does anyone else experience this?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Steven76 said:
I've been to doc got tested I'm on blood pressure mess but all else fine.my mouth gets very dry when bloods unstable.does anyone else experience this?

Not particularly Steven, but could I ask you a question.......do you test for ketones when running high bg?

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Steven76 said:
No I've not tested for ketones in about a year.

Steven, as you say your is never stable and running high for weeks, it's important that you check regularly for signs of ketones. The dry mouth could will be due to your elevated blood glucose, when bg rises the body tries to get rid of the excess sugar via the kidneys and a increase of urination is the norm, this in turn leads to dehydration which will leave you feeling very dry and possibly muddled/confused, and when this does occurs it's important to bring bg levels down quickly whilst drinking plenty of fluids and monitoring regularly.

Another question, have you done a carb counting course such as DAFNE? they are brilliant at teaching patients the principles of accurately matching your insulin to the carbs you eat, so if you haven't done one already...........do ask your dsn about the DAFNE course or similar.

Nigel