Small amounts of insulin?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Does anyone know of any pens/ needles/ any way of delivering insulin in smaller doses?
I gave an echo pen so that's 0.5 but can you get it in 0.1 unit increments?
Thanks x

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
....correction. There are human pens that delivery 1/2 units and are generally used for those with a high insulin sensitivity. Tis in that link :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
:)[/QUOTE]

That's right, I have a NovoRapid pen, which is great for me, as that 1/2 unit is a so much better. Breakfast was the worse, I unit not enough, 2 units far to much. I couldn't do with out it now :)

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yea I so appear to have become quite sensitive to insulin. There are times (many) when I could do with less than 0.5 or more but not as much as 1? I'm having to add carbs to round up. Or go low, I'm hypo loads at the moment so thought smaller amounts may help. Thanks x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That's right, I have a NovoRapid pen, which is great for me, as that 1/2 unit is a so much better. Breakfast was the worse, I unit not enough, 2 units far to much. I couldn't do with it now :)[/QUOTE]
Ooo just saw this comment . I have a novo rapid pen aswell mine does not go up in 1/2 units .
Do you have the pens where you throw the whole pen away or just change the cartridge .
:):):)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's right, I have a NovoRapid pen, which is great for me, as that 1/2 unit is a so much better. Breakfast was the worse, I unit not enough, 2 units far to much. I couldn't do with it now :)
Ooo just saw this comment . I have a novo rapid pen aswell mine does not go up in 1/2 units .
Do you have the pens where you throw the whole pen away or just change the cartridge .
:):):)[/QUOTE]

Hi my pen is the change cartridge type and is so beneficial, as I am so busy and active most mornings, I need to take just a small amount. Hope that's helpful and I asked my GP .if there was a 1//2 unit pen and luckily there was:) Take care and good luck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yea I so appear to have become quite sensitive to insulin. There are times (many) when I could do with less than 0.5 or more but not as much as 1? I'm having to add carbs to round up. Or go low, I'm hypo loads at the moment so thought smaller amounts may help. Thanks x

Hi that's what I was doing, I did think a few weeks ago' I wish they did a 1/4 dose pen, that would be even better':) Donna, just wondering why you appear to have become so sensitive? Have you been tested for Coeliac disease by any chance? As it's a cause of concern as to why you keep hypoing so much, which as we know is not good. Have you mentioned this to your DSN, could your Insulin be changed to another one possibly?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dsn is not very er...helpful? She didn't even want me to carb count and she will just say I'm not eating enough carbs and that I need to eat lots more. My carb count dsn is much better but can't prescribe anything. Maybe I'll e-mail her.
I've lost a lot of weight and am taking about 1/3 1/4 of the insulin I was a year ago typically 3,1,2 of bolus and 9 and 5 of basal. Last year it was 8,6,16 and 24 basal. Could this be why? Also the heat?
Thanks guys x

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am quite sensitive to insulin too and did have the 1/2 unit pen novopen echo which was great, but I am now on a pump - and insulin does absorb differently on pumps - for me it is a lot more gradual I don't get so many of the peaks and troughs and my sugar level is lots more stable (I wear CGM all the time too so it is really visible the difference between a pump and injections for me). I think the fact that you can manage the basal makes it better...so anyway I would definitely look at a pump - it is also fab for doing exercise as you can do temporary basal reductions which avoids hypos too.

Another thing to ask your DSNs about is I have heard of people on diluted insulins - but I don't know anything about that, just heard talk on here - so it is something to ask about too.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think I'd qualify for a pump, my last two HBA1C's were 6 and 5.7. Dsn got a bit confused by that. X

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you would be able to argue under the basis that you have frequent hypos or if you are anxious about hypos and if they effect your life (which I am figuring they may do, so if you fit into those categories then you have a case for one)...and in all fairness logic would suggest that if multiple daily injections is not working then a pump may well be something that should be considered - you don't need a high HBA1c to get a pump. A great place to talk to about pumps and how you get them and what you need to know is INPUT http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/ - it has the NICE guidelines on who can qualify on there and they are really helpful.

Have a chat with the hospital about it and see whether they'd consider it or whether you can look into it...and if not whether there are any other options that they could do to help you with your sensitivity and how to manage it.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Donna, how high does your blood sugar go if you stop all insulin for a day or so? Don't try this if you feel there is any risk, of course. How was your T1 diagnosed i.e. was it via GAD and c-peptide tests?

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just thinking out loud...weight loss is meant to improve sensitivity which could explain the change in doses...do you have 14 units of basal altogether to the 5 units of quick acting?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My dsn is not very er...helpful? She didn't even want me to carb count and she will just say I'm not eating enough carbs and that I need to eat lots more. My carb count dsn is much better but can't prescribe anything. Maybe I'll e-mail her.
I've lost a lot of weight and am taking about 1/3 1/4 of the insulin I was a year ago typically 3,1,2 of bolus and 9 and 5 of basal. Last year it was 8,6,16 and 24 basal. Could this be why? Also the heat?
Thanks guys x

Hi again, I mentioned Coeliac because one of the symptoms I had ( I had a few) was loss of weight because the Villi in the stomach can't absorb the nutrients from the food( normal villi are vertical (upright)l and the villi in a Coeliac is horizontal ( flat). Also some people have no symptoms at all, so I hope you don't mind me mentioning this. Do you know how many carbs you consume in a day? As some members are on a low carb diet.
Sorry to hear of your unhelpful DSN, not good. try and get it checked out with your GP as the weight loss would seem to be unintentional. Good luck.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat somewhere between 50-80g carbs a day.
Yep, 15 units of Lantus altogether. 9 at 8 am and 5 at 8pm.
I have no idea what tests they did to confirm my diagnosis.
I remember them taking blood gases from my wrist and lots of blood tests and that my blood was in the 30's. My brother had been diagnosed 8 months before so they took no chances.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I eat somewhere between 50-80g carbs a day.
Yep, 15 units of Lantus altogether. 9 at 8 am and 5 at 8pm.
I have no idea what tests they did to confirm my diagnosis.
I remember them taking blood gases from my wrist and lots of blood tests and that my blood was in the 30's. My brother had been diagnosed 8 months before so they took no chances.

Hi Donna I do think that whatever the problem is, It's better to get it checked out by your GP, also mention Coeliac ( as a process of elimination) , that's what I said my GP as we were getting no where with a diagnosis of my symptoms. Type 1 and Coeliac are connected and both are autoimmune conditions, Take care and would you please let us know how you get on? All the best..

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Donna - has your hospital offered anymore advice? Have you tried adjusting your basal insulins or just your pre-meal insulins...also with the hypos do they come about 2 hours after a meal (when your basal is peaking) or is it 3 or 4 hours after which would make me think it might be more basal. Have a chat with the hospital and see whether they are happy for you to have a go at some basal testing - you get to skip a meal and your sugar level is meant to stay static during that time (well reasonably static) - there are a series of conditions for accurate basal testing like no alcohol etc. and you need to test every hour - but they'll let you know. If you went low during that testing then it would say that your basal might need adjusting. The only reason I am wondering about whether it might be basal is 'cos healthy pancreas' tend to do a 50:50 split of basal insulin to bolus insulin - though your basal might be 40-50% and bolus 50-60% - that's the way they set it all up on pumps initially for you too. There is loads of debate on it and from having a quick google some people just need more basal everyone is different and you might just be at a phase where you need more basal and less bolus. Just another idea to throw into the mix - chat it through with your nurses and see what they reckon is best - I'm just trying think if there is anything else that can help you avoid having too many lows. Also check out coeliac etc. I got tested for that, and they routinely test my thyroid at hospital too.