1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Small NHS breakthrough

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Jacqui_Jay, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Jacqui_Jay

Jacqui_Jay Type 2 · Member

I went to see my diabetes nurse today for the first time since I adopted a LCHF diet. I went armed with a chart showing all my positive readings, ready to fight my corner. To my amazement, she was delighted for me, said whatever works for you - carry on. She agreed there was no need for me to resume medication as I had everything under control. :) Delighted? Just a bit! :)

• Like Like x 41
  2. Patricia21

Patricia21 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great news,congratulations.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chri5

chri5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It`s so refreshing to get an enlightened one isn`t it, my GP was just the same. I just have to convince him that I`m really not going to take the statins that he keeps trying to foist off onto me now:meh:.

• Like Like x 4
  4. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Isnt it great not having to go into battle at every turn, she sounds exactly like my lovely nurse. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Good to hear that. Well done! :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done! And it sounds like your nurse is a gem too - it's brill when they're not closed minded!

• Like Like x 2
  7. bkr

bkr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thats wonderful news! Well done, thats inspiring & a real boost for us all to read Im sure :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jacqui_Jay

Jacqui_Jay Type 2 · Member

Thank you all ...... yes, I'm still having to dodge the statins, but she didn't push it.

9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Kind of the same for me as well this morning. Went to a Diabetes Clinic at my local surgery and had 2 diabetes nurses..
    They were pleased that my HbA1c had gone from 8.6 on 30/10 to 6.3 on 11/12 and that I'd lost 10kg in weight. One did say that as diabetes was a "progressive disease".. which I picked her up on. but overall they were positive that my low carbing and fasting had had such speedy results. I was a bit surprised however when she said that I was the first person they had seen this year who had actually done something like this after diagnosis.. and that everyone else was just taking their meds as prescribed.. crazy. Told them I had only taken metformin for three weeks before dumping it (metaphorically and literally) which made them even more impressed. I put it down to following the lead of many others on here who are proponents of the LCHF diet which has produced some great results for me. I would like to say thanks to everyone here for leading by example.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 3
  11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes indeed @bulkbiker

Well done!

It isn't always easy, and takes a lot of determination and endurance to turn your eating habits on their head and stick with it.

:D

• Like Like x 4
  12. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Perhaps they should be advising their other patients that there are other ways of reducing BS particularly as you have proved to them that it works. Well done on your good results.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cl1ve

Cl1ve Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all just thought I'd share my first experience with my diabetic nurse . I have to say she was so helpful my hba1c was to low so she suggested I change my medication . And was told that if I felt that I needed to test my blood sugar levels I should carry on . It's so sad that some people are having a problem getting test strips on prescription . While others have no problems at all So starting my new medication from today and have been told if I have any issues to give her a call. So all in all a really positive experience
    Clive

• Like Like x 4
    #13 Cl1ve, Dec 21, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  14. Phlogiston

Phlogiston Gestational · Well-Known Member

My health centre were delighted when my Hba1C was well down last time I was tested. My GP rang me up to congratulate me.
    They're happy for me to remain on my sustainable diet while the results are good. They seem to be being successful with several other folk I know.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook