smoking

daisyjane63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anybody given up smoking following being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes - did it have a positive effect on your daily blood sugars and your HbA1c test results?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have given up, since my diagnosis but I had a COPD diagnosis at the same time, I can't say it has had any effect on my reading, however from a health point of view it's different at the moment my partner is on the surgical ward and she has seen 5 different people with diabetes come through the ward that smoke and every dingle one has had amputations, it's really scary she has been on the ward since last Wednesday. I am so glad I have given up smoking

Sent from my iPad

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they say that it was because of the smoking that they had the amputations?

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure to be honest, but is it really worth taking the risk? Please don't get me wrong this isn't me starting an anti smoking campaign, and if anyone wants to smoke it's your own choice, but I'm glad I gave up now as I'm at a lower risk of this happening to me

Sent from my iPad

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The bottom line is that smoking is really bad for you but everyone knows this and has to come to their own decision. This is probably the perfect place to ask this question as you won't get lectured at! I hope you manage to give up for the sake of your health but I know it can be really hard, having several close friends who have tried, started again, tried etc! Good luck whatever you do!

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Not sure if it affects BG levels but it certainly hinders circulation which is not a good thing for diabetics. I have not smoked for over 4 years now and was shocked when I recently saw my old fave Benson & Hedges were £9 for 20 !!!!!!! Amazed !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not sure if it affects BG levels but it certainly hinders circulation which is not a good thing for diabetics. I have not smoked for over 4 years now and was shocked when I recently saw my old fave Benson & Hedges were £9 for 20 !!!!!!! Amazed !

Think of all the clothes you could buy if you gave up. Not to mention the shoes. Shoes! And don't forget the hand bags! By the way, this is directed to OP but feel free to wear high heels if you like or they might get in the way of your hose. Should imagine that they might be tricky when sliding down the fire station pole. Do they still have poles in fire stations these days?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Think of all the clothes you could buy if you gave up. Not to mention the shoes. Shoes! And don't forget the hand bags! By the way, this is directed to OP but feel free to wear high heels if you like or they might get in the way of your hose. Should imagine that they might be tricky when sliding down the fire station pole. Do they still have poles in fire stations these days?
Lol ! I actually own 2 "man bags" too !

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I smoke and am deeply disappointed with the diabetes care at my surgery. At diagnosis I was in shock and eager to do anything. I have seen the DSN two times, first time to get a monitor, second time to discuss my diet and readings. Now my willingness to stop smoking is fading away.

Nothing whatsoever on lifestyle. I can handle all of it apart from quitting the fags. I need help there, and a lot of support.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I smoke and am deeply disappointed with the diabetes care at my surgery. At diagnosis I was in shock and eager to do anything. I have seen the DSN two times, first time to get a monitor, second time to discuss my diet and readings. Now my willingness to stop smoking is fading away.

Nothing whatsoever on lifestyle. I can handle all of it apart from quitting the fags. I need help there, and a lot of support.
I failed about 20 times before I finally quit. I tried everything, patches, Zyban. I finally succeeded with help from smoking clinic and Champix. Extremely hard but well worth it. When the time is right, you'll succeed. If you're not 100% committed it won't work. It wasn't even the money with me, I'd have paid £20 a pack lol !

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried a couple of times. Last time was 20 years ago. I have been thinking about it, and at diagnosis I thought this is my chance to really do it! I still wait for the support to life style change I expect.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having elevated BGs leads to an increase in clotting. As you probably know, so does smoking. The combination of the two significantly increases the risk of CVD. Smoking doesn't affect BG levels.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

As you know - this is the place to come, it was and still is my lifeline - despite the fact that I am lucky enough to have a very supportive other half. My advice is to take one day at a time. Do what you can and if you slip, put it behind you and try again! I guess one of the things I've learnt from this website is that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself because there is always some git out there waiting to take a pop! Here, there will always be help on hand as we are all united trying to fight diabetes. Anyway, shouldn't you be focusing on forthcoming birthday celebrations?!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Smoking is bad for health. Diabetes is bad for health. Diabetes and smoking together is twenty times worse.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I smoked since I was 16 (peer pressure at college) and apart from when I was pregnant and didn't smoke at all, I was on 30 a day. I went cold turkey out of sheer terror following a major heart attack in 2000. By then I'd been diabetic for 6 yrs. I don't know if it improved my BGs but it sure as hell improved the rest of me..... Including the contents of my purse! I don't understand how anyone can afford to smoke these days let alone actually want to. Hope you give up soon, it's not easy but you'll be amazed how quickly you will start to feel better.... and think of all that extra spending power! ;)
Good luck.
Geri :)

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always said I'll quit for good when I have kids.
Until then, I shall enjoy my life and do what makes me happy before having to put someone else before myself!
I will never smoke whilst pregnant or around a child so I'll quit when I start trying. I'll carry on until then.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
If you have type2 you should be exercising. If you smoke , you won't be able to exercise properly or enough. So take up vaping e-cigs. Wake up and smell the coffee.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Smoking is bad for health. Diabetes is bad for health. Diabetes and smoking together is twenty times worse.

Totally agree! Smoking sucks! I sure wish I had never started and got hooked!:(

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you know - this is the place to come, it was and still is my lifeline - despite the fact that I am lucky enough to have a very supportive other half. My advice is to take one day at a time. Do what you can and if you slip, put it behind you and try again! I guess one of the things I've learnt from this website is that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself because there is always some git out there waiting to take a pop! Here, there will always be help on hand as we are all united trying to fight diabetes. Anyway, shouldn't you be focusing on forthcoming birthday celebrations?!
I haven't started to stop yet.

As to celebrations, yes, we should focus a bit on them as we need to do a thorough cleaning first. And do some baking. But I have been very busy with the poly-tunnel work and other things. Have decided on a low-carb Schwarzwald gateau for cake.

It is only 51, so no big deal.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree! Smoking sucks! I sure wish I had never started and got hooked!:(
I know. When I started to smoke in 1977 or there abouts I knew it was a bad idea. It didn't stop me however.