1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Smoking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PatsyB, Aug 7, 2014.

1. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am interested to find out how many people with Diabetes smoke, I happened to take my mother to see my sister yesterday both of them smoke I do not...I found their smoke agrivated my eyes a little ...My brother has diabetes and smokes also and says he has no intention of stopping/ so am wondering if other people with diabetes smoke and have no affects from the habit??

2. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

I used to smoke before diagnosis but I got diagnosed with COPD the same day, so I needed to give up smoking. However my partner was in the surgical ward at the royal Glamorgan hospital for 2 weeks and the amount of amputees she saw from diabetics smoking actually had her in shock. It really is not worth smoking if we still smoked whilst she was in hospital we wouldn't now as it was enough to make you want to give up smoking

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
    NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

3. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

i smoked my whole life but thankfully switched to e-cigs 4 months before diagnosis, i mostly say thankfully as i definitely would have given up at diagnosis and that could have tipped me over the edge, I would of course like to be e-cig free too one day but for now i am a happy vaper

4. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to smoke and wont lie and say I occasionally steal one from my friends if I am drinking..........

I am overweight slightly and I am on BP meds to protect my eyes, I have no doubt the smoking has contributed to the higher BP....

5. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

well acording to my brother smoking has not affected his BP or sugars but hey might be somhting he likes to believe...

6. Anie

Anie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to smoke. I gave up 7+ years ago - put on 2 stone and got myself a diabetes diagnosis!!

7. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

He needs to worry about clogged arteries :eek: this builds up over years and combined with diabetes the risks are probably doubled.

I smoked for 35 years - gave up 7 years ago and thought I'd got away with it as I had no symptoms. But nope... I had a quadruple heart bypass last year.

8. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Smoking without being diabetic can lead to complications and amputations. One reason is that red blood cells carry carbon monoxide just as well as they carry oxygen. That's why you hear about people with faulty boilers dying of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A diabetic who does not smoke can have problems leading to amputation since the high sugar levels cause circulation problems.

A diabetic who smokes just has a double whammy and is that much more likely to end up in a hospital like the one mentioned above.

• Like Like x 4
  9. 2131tom

2131tom Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I stopped smoking last May, a few months before my diagnosis, but I have found that my eyes are often a lot sorer now than they used to be before I was T2.

That's become so sudden and frequent that I've taken to using eye drops, which I'd never had to before, and I now keep a bottle at home and another in the fridge at work.

For me the drops work well but I'd just as happily not have the problem at all. I've mentioned it to the GP but it got rather lost in the welter of other symptoms at the time. I think I need to raise it again ...............

10. johnboy412000

johnboy412000 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I gave up smoking 19 months ago long before diabetes came along.2 of my mothers brothers were smokers and both were diabetic and eventually died from cancer.Not sure if the smoking affected their diabetes or not.
    I gave up cos i was fedup of coughing constantly and also fedup of being skint all the time.Since then i have switched to using inhalators which workout much cheaper than fags and i still get that nicotine hit without the 4000 chemicals that are in fags.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

This way he can blaim the cigarettes for the gangrene when they start chopping off toes. Instead of the uncontrolled diabetes

• Like Like x 4
  12. Y3MBailey

Y3MBailey Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My mother smoked and growing up I always found it abnoxious even as a small child

These days I come into so little contact with smoke I really hate having to even walk past someone in the street or be behind another car smoking.

• Like Like x 4
  13. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

I gave up when the smoking ban came in. It also cut my alcohol intake as I used to go the pub next door (I know) every night as I didn't smoke in the house (husband sings in his band and gave up in about '74 when it started affecting his voice) so not only did I save a fortune on cigs, I also saved money on booze. Now I find that I hate sitting outside in cafes/pubs etc because the smoke always seems to blow my way. I did sneak a crafty cigar a couple of weeeks ago at the races when I won £20 on a horse, though the celebration was a bit premature - none of the other horses won. Ho hum!

• Like Like x 2
  14. johnboy412000

johnboy412000 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Same here we hardly ever drink

15. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

Only thing is because I don't drink (much anyway) I always get to be the designited driver on nights out. My "drinkypoos" night is normally a Tuesday, feet up in front of the telly and a bottle of Canadian Club rye with a diet lemonade. Very few pubs seem to keep CC behind the bar

16. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

Could it be the diabetes that's aggravating the eyes? Might be worth checking out with doc or diabetic nurse.

17. Twinks

Twinks · Well-Known Member

I stopped smoking not long after a year after i was diagnosed been on my ecig for 10 months now nd slowly weenin ma self off it, the only problem my DN had with me was that i smoked but the fort of coping with diabetes and quitting smoking at the same time was too much! Glad iv stopped now though the smell of cigs turns my stomach

• Like Like x 2
  18. Janiept

Janiept · Expert

Have any of you vapers gained weight when changing from 'normal' cigs to ecigs?

19. Aldebaran

Aldebaran I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I haven't Janiept and I believe one of the reasons is because I'm occupied using the ecig instead of picking at food. I'm not searching for something to chew on and replace the cigarette, if that makes sense. I can pick it up and put it down throughout the day. E cigs definitely give you the feel of a smoke but without it being a normal cigarette.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Twinks

Twinks · Well-Known Member

I havent put weight on too much like a real cig to make me want anything else

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook