ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,m a heavy smoker and want to stop. I,ve just bought a vype pen and cartridges to go in it. I will stop smoking tomorrow.the thing that I, m worried about is that I, m worried that I will start comfort beating and eating all the wrong things

Reactions: 5 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ally. I gave up around April time last year with the help of a vaper.
I'm going to try and choose my words carefully as I don't want to sound like I found it easy as it is hard. I tried to keep bits of celery and ham to nibble on to keep my hands busy (the vaper does help with this too!). I won't lie I did put a bit of weight on but, and it's big but, I feel so much better for it.
I wish you good luck and please keep posting. I'll be more than happy to try and help keep you motivated!!

Reactions: 9 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi ally. I gave up around April time last year with the help of a vaper.
I'm going to try and choose my words carefully as I don't want to sound like I found it easy as it is hard. I tried to keep bits of celery and ham to nibble on to keep my hands busy (the vaper does help with this too!). I won't lie I did put a bit of weight on but, and it's big but, I feel so much better for it.
I wish you good luck and please keep posting. I'll be more than happy to try and help keep you motivated!!
thank you for you imputation. I will try my very best to stop

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi ally1.:) I began using a vape last year and although I am still using it, have cut down drastically on cigarettes. Since Tuesday I have only smoked 4 in total. Week before I smoked 7 cigarettes, each and every week it varies - but I used to smoke 15 to 20 EVERY day. On a medical point of view my Asthma is the best it's ever been - gone is the wheezing for good. Good Luck - You will do it.:)

Reactions: 10 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi ally1.:) I began using a vape last year and although I am still using it, have cut down drastically on cigarettes. Since Tuesday I have only smoked 4 in total. Week before I smoked 7 cigarettes, each and every week it varies - but I used to smoke 15 to 20 EVERY day. On a medical point of view my Asthma is the best it's ever been - gone is the wheezing for good. Good Luck - You will do it.:)
thank you Liam. I,m smoking 40 a day and just cannot afford to smoke that much

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi ally1:) - An expensive habit!! How much do you pay for a 20 pack? If I can be of any help? Just say. :) What is the nicotine strength of your vape?

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi ally1:) - An expensive habit!! How much do you pay for a 20 pack? If I can be of any help? Just say. :) What is the nicotine strength of your vape?
my packet of cigarettes are 7.98 so 15.96 aday

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi ally1:). Look at it this way = the money (£15.96) per day put in a tin or pot each day and you will soon see it mount up! I call it "my treats" and from that money saved I have bought a year membership with the National Trust, a new Kindle HD, New mobile phone -( ok, so it was in the sale for £75). My only concern is that I enjoy the taste of food - and I did put on 2stone - but, was it going on Insulin that did it? Or not smoking cigarettes? I BLAME the Insulin!!! But, I have managed to loose 1 stone 4lbs since last May (2015):)

Reactions: 8 people

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good luck to u

my hubby was a heavy smoker and gave up when he was in hospital waiting for major surgery. they were very good with him there and put him on patches, which were reduced by the surgery nurse when he was back home. It is hard so dont beat urself up if u have a blip :)

Reactions: 6 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Go for it Ally, you can do it. My dad was a 40 a date man, Senior Service, and he went cold turkey to stop. You have the help of valine so will be OK. I love Liam's idea of saving the money and getting treats, weekends away,hairdos or clothes maybe?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I gave up in August after being rushed into hospital with not being able to breathe, my blood oxygen levels were 65% and my heart had enlarged on the left hand side. I was already using nicotine gum at the time to try and cut down as I was diagnosed with COPD in the July, I started on the patches and gum in hospital and after I got out 8 days later I bought a vaper and it does help alot. I was nibbling on celery, carrots etc and I only put a few pounds on. Just try keep busy and when you get a craving (which only lasts a few minutes) just go mad with the vaper :)

I was a heavy smoker for 30+ years, so be strong and I'am sure you will manage it, also buy yourself a treat every week with some of the money that you will save ging the smokes up

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
good luck to u

my hubby was a heavy smoker and gave up when he was in hospital waiting for major surgery. they were very good with him there and put him on patches, which were reduced by the surgery nurse when he was back home. It is hard so dont beat urself up if u have a blip :)
in the past, I tried patches but found they didn't, t help ne

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi ally1:). Look at it this way = the money (£15.96) per day put in a tin or pot each day and you will soon see it mount up! I call it "my treats" and from that money saved I have bought a year membership with the National Trust, a new Kindle HD, New mobile phone -( ok, so it was in the sale for £75). My only concern is that I enjoy the taste of food - and I did put on 2stone - but, was it going on Insulin that did it? Or not smoking cigarettes? I BLAME the Insulin!!! But, I have managed to loose 1 stone 4lbs since last May (2015):)
I will do your suggestion and put the money in a pot.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi ally1:). Sorry, it's me again! Set yourself targets. I live in a 1st floor flat and I when I smoked it was only in my lounge. The 1st rule I made was to stop that and go downstairs to outside the shared entrance for a smoke - did that for 4 months. Now, you could make that same rule, you HAVE to go outside to smoke and don't break it?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found giving up smoking easy, I did it hundreds of times. Well, that was the joke at the time. I tried most things and failed. I learned a valuable lesson. If you need a crutch or a device to help you give up smoking then you are not really serious about kicking the habit of looking forward to a treat involving putting hand to mouth, especially after meals, drinks or any excuse really.

I decided NO. Didn't matter how much I craved I said NO. Smelled someone else's smoke and NO. No matter what I would not give in.

After about two weeks it got easier and then I started going through a phase of PHAW when someone else lit up. I used to commute to London and those old trains with smoking compartments were like fag end dustbins. I still wouldn't give in.

That was in 1979 and I only took one drag of a fag since then because someone dared me. It did nothing for me and that's all for 37 years.

I didn't do vapour and patches but if you use them you still have to give up the vapour and patches . Why give yourself double grief?

Reactions: 13 people

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave up October 2014 as after 30-ish years of smoking was finding that the stairs was making me breathless and so far this has been my most successful quit as have not had one since, which I put down to failing health being the motivation. I can't advise on the comfort eating but what I did was write a long list of everything I needed to do around the house from big jobs such as shifting furniture to clean behind to small jobs such as oiling door hinges. Then everytime I would have normally gone for a smoke or felt the craving I would get up and do something off of the list. The list kept me going for 2 months by which point I had broken the back of things.

Anyway good luck

Reactions: 13 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I gave up October 2014 as after 30-ish years of smoking was finding that the stairs was making me breathless and so far this has been my most successful quit as have not had one since, which I put down to failing health being the motivation. I can't advise on the comfort eating but what I did was write a long list of everything I needed to do around the house from big jobs such as shifting furniture to clean behind to small jobs such as oiling door hinges. Then everytime I would have normally gone for a smoke or felt the craving I would get up and do something off of the list. The list kept me going for 2 months by which point I had broken the back of things.

Anyway good luck
thank you, I like your idea of doing jobs.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ally; I wish you all the very best. When I was a student I was on 20 a day, then I met the future Mrs hay-char and she made it clear that she wouldn't kiss someone who smelt like an ash tray, so giving up was relatively easy for me :)

Her father was a 40 a day man and he gave up virtually overnight, 21 years ago. I attribute his success to the following:

- He is a very proud man and announced to all his colleagues that he was stopping smoking: the indignity of not succeeding would have been too much for him;
- He used nicotine patches;
- His daughter (i.e. Mrs hay-char) became pregnant and announced that she wasn't taking any child of hers into a smoke-filled house.

So - you need a strong motivator. Giving up smoking is going to help control your diabetes no end and for that reason alone you should do it. I guess vaping will help with withdrawal symptoms, and patches might also help. I wish you all the best .... :)