Snack for exercise that wont make me feel sick during?

annamillhouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've posted before about exercise... it's something I do find tricky to manage!

With a pump I've got to a stage where I can just about keep BG levels steady and around 6-7mmol during intense exercise (though it shoots up afterwards quite drastically!), BUT to achieve that I drink juice during the exercise and it makes me feel really sick. Same with eating anything within an hour beforehand - banana, cereal, both have caused me to feel really nauseous. Even water tends to slosh around and is quite uncomfortable.

What do you guys eat that works for you to get BGs as level as possible? Just curious to see what other people's experiences are!

Thanks

Anna

glucosegirl

Dislikes
diabetes
I have exactly the same problem! Anything that I eat or drink during or before exercise makes me feel really sick. So far I've tried mango,raisins,Ribena,orange juice,apple juice,cereal bars and pretzels. My latest find though is chocolate milk. The full fat kind. The sugar in it is a mixture of lactose(which is slow) and sucrose(which is quite quick). The fat also prolongs the rise in blood glucose that it causes and holds me steady for a while. It is quite sweet and it still makes me feel sick but it doesn't tend to "slosh" as much when you move around. 100ml is 15g carbs. I get the Belgium chocolate one from Waitrose.

I'm on multiple daily injections, but if you're on a pump surely you don't need to eat anything for exercise? Can't you set a temp basal rate so that it is reduced before you exercise, to push your blood sugar up a bit and then increase it when you Finnish exercising to counter the rise that you experience after exercise?