Snacks

jasperc

Could anyone give me ideas for snacks?
So far cream crackers are proving a godsend, 3 as a snack. Also a small portion of fruit.
Also is there a safe soft drink as an alternative to water? I know juices are to be avoided, especially as we are only a week after diagnosis, could anyone recommend anything else? Our doctor said diet coke was fine to drink, which has my son thinking he can drink a can daily, but it's not the most healthy of drinks!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im adult diabetic but my snacks:
nuts (but check the carb content), humous with veggies, thin smoked sausages, cheese (babybell for kids great), peanut butter, apple, greek yougurt with few blueberries.
Alternative to soft drink can be tea. There are many flavours available and if you add ice cubes and a slice of lemon or orange (and maybe a little bit of pure stevia or agave nectar) it should taste great.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink a large glass of zero cal, zero carb diet supermarket lemonade but with the juice of one freshly squeezed lemon in it. That'll quench any craving for a fizzy drink.

For snacks, the best crispbread is the rye with sesame seed from Lidl, better than from Aldi and better than Ryvita. It just thin and very cispy and sesame seeds are within the crispbread mix, not on top. I invariably have this with a sardine paste, it just goes well, or with very thinly sliced cheese with thin slices of pickled onion. Better than any packet of crisps.

jayne15

Hi my little girl was diagnosed in October and has snacks twice in school and 1 before bed. snack wise she has 1 of the following 1 round of best of both with ham or cheese on it, a banana, pack of mango, 1 round of toast, cereal bar (check the sugar content first) basically items that slowly release carbs. We have found that strawberries and peaches tend to spike so we save those items for when she is a tad low.

her BM was 4.1 tonight so her bed time snack was a bowl of tinned peaches.

in relation to drinks we have found a small glass of fresh orange or apple (not from concentrate) has little effect on her overall sugars so she usually has a glass with her breakfast and with her evening meal ( these class as 1 of her 5 a day also so bonus!)

some no added sugar drinks do spike her (fruit shoots and cordial) however the sugar free vimto and ribena (in cartons) have generally been fine in fact no spikes after these.

she currently has a very healthy diet with around 10 fruit or veg a day- this will prob change when she stops honey mooning however hopefully she will be on a pump by then. I have to say she hasnt had 1 sniffle over winter where the rest of us have had colds and coughs !

she has had this diet since diagnosis and has been relatively stable, for a treat she has to do exercise first and then only if her sugars are below 7, so the odd ice cream or even chocolate cake (at school) had little effect on her sugars.

I suppose a lot of it is trial and error. she had never had fizzy drinks before diagnosis so I let her have a diet coke as a treat at the weekend !

she had her 2nd HbA1c on Wednesday it had reduced from 7.5 to 6.9 so I think what we are doing is ok.
good luck and take care x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What sort of juices do you think should be avoided?

I only advise that it is so importantt to ensure that a good quantity of fluids are drank each and every day.

I'm not a dietician, but do believe personally that fluif plays a vital part in our health.... Whether juice, water, caffeine etc.... It is getting the correct balance...

I regret my dislike for sugar free fruit squash..

CambridgeLass

Hi. We were advised snacks 10-15g were OK and didn't need a shot for. Sugar free jelly is very popular; Nuts -almonds, cashews etc. Rivitas with cheese/marmite; Crisps - like Sains cheese puffs or quavers -9.6g each; frubes, berries - rasberries, bluberries etc; small choc buttons - 8.6g; the other day I even weighed out some ice cream and grated shavings of choc which came to 10g; small fruits - tangerine, pear, apple. Re Juice, we cut that out completely, I only have a bottle or cartons that I use for hypos. We have low added sugar drinks, ribena ones are good; The new Trop50 isn't bad - we like the orange and mango one.