So confused ........food....... Walking

Annpanz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys I'm so confused with food and walking .......... I never lose a lb not one !!!
I have 35gms dry porridge strawberries with half and half almond milk and water made into a smoothy for breakfast
Home made veg soup or broth for lunch
Some new potatoes for tea and sometimes a little meat or fish
I walk min 3 miles briskly daily
I drink a min of 2ltrs of water daily
I'm 13st9lb and 5'4
I can't shift this weight :(
Been walking 9 mths now with groups as well as with my Whippet

I get so despondent ..... But my bp is normal for the first time since I was 19 (56) now. My bloods are under 7 so I'm much healthier and defo fitter but still got my belly

Please advise

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi guys I'm so confused with food and walking .......... I never lose a lb not one !!!
I have 35gms dry porridge strawberries with half and half almond milk and water made into a smoothy for breakfast
I'm 13st9lb and 5'4

I get so despondent ..... But my bp is normal for the first time since I was 19 (56) now. My bloods are under 7 so I'm much healthier and defo fitter but still got my belly

Please advise
Get your doc to check vitamin d levels and your thyroid!
Have you read

http://www.dietdoctor.com

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
It is a common misconception that you exercise to lose weight.

You exercise to increase fitness.
You eat less to lose weight.

Random Google link
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/information/walking-to-lose-weight2.htm
"So a brisk walk, covering three-and-a-half miles in an hour, burns about 280 calories. When repeated each day, this excellent habit burns about 3,900 calories -- more than a pound of fat -- every 2 weeks."

So you have to be eating more or less the minimum number of calories to maintain your body weight without the walk, and then use the walks take your calorie expenditure up above your calorie intake continuously for two weeks to lose a pound in weight.
From the example above, if you are 280 kcals above your minimum each day then you are unlikely to lose any weight.

The good news is that your overall health seems to have improved enormously - better blood and blood pressure - which is almost certainly down to the exercise.

To lose weight (which is a sensible thing to aim for) you need to review what you are eating and how much.
Then reduce your intake in stages until you start to lose weight, perhaps a pound a week.
This should put you on target for long term sustainable weight loss.

Personally I would cut out the porridge in the morning and the potatoes in the evening - and if you are eating any bread, pastry, or pasta even every now and then I would try and stop. Carbs are the things that can quickly put the pounds back on as they transit very quickly from the gut to fat cells.

Cheers

LGC

Annpanz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the replys . What do you suggest I put in my smoothy instead of raw porridge ? Please

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not have a complete change and have a full fat natural Greek yogurt with a few berries? I am currently having 75g to 80g of fresh strawberries in my yogurt because they are so delicious at the moment, but I also have raspberries or blueberries.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Flaxseed (linseed) would be ok in a smoothie. It's also nice with berries and Greek yogurt.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Have you thought about a different kind of breakfast?

Egg and bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes?

Eggs scrambled in butter?

Protein and fats are (counter intuitively) often better for you than carb based meals.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Do you need to lose weight all over or is it just the stomach ? As others have mentioned, weight loss starts and ends in the kitchen. Keep a food diary, some people under estimate their intake which can mount up. There are some good apps that can help, MyFitnessPal being one. It will record all your food/exercise and helps a lot of people. If it is just your stomach that is loose, it may need exercises to strengthen the abdominal muscles as well. This won't lose weight but it may firm up the area slightly. Good luck and don't give up. You can already see the other benefits regular exercise makes.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 13st9lb and 5'4

Please advise
I have lost a stone so far. For breakfast I have, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, with full fat yogurt, or bacon, eggs, sausages.in my diet I have salads, mackeral, greens, nuts. No carbs.

I have noticed you are having carbs, maybe knock them out of diet and see what happens but increase your meat/fish consumption.

See how you get on,

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I agree with Pixie you are very high carb and lack of fat in your diet. If there is no health reason why you can not do low carb high fat then you need to look at that that. You are very restrictive in your fat and that is what will help with your weight loss... eat more fat lose more weight. Scroll down the forums to the Low Carb Forum and also go to dietdoctor.com.
Eat lots more extra virgin olive oil and coconut oils and full fat foods

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Pixie you are very high carb and lack of fat in your diet. If there is no health reason why you can not do low carb high fat then you need to look at that that. You are very restrictive in your fat and that is what will help with your weight loss... eat more fat lose more weight. Scroll down the forums to the Low Carb Forum and also go to dietdoctor.com.

Yup.

And the amazing thing is how satisfied and energetic you feel when eating enough fat.

If you still want to restrict your calories, you just substitute approx 45g fat for every 100g of carbs. So you get to have a knob of butter on your green veg for every potato you avoid. Or some grated cheese in your soup. Or full fat yog for breakfast. Or olive oil dressing on your salad. Marvellous, and so satisfying.

Annpanz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

thank you i have started today with the low carb diet Fingers crossed this works for me xx

Reactions: 4 people

Annpanz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well day 2 of low carbs feeling ok had
Bacon and eggs for breakfast
cabbage soup for lunch (cabbage and Onion)
scrambled egg with butter cheese and a tomato for my tea
5 bottles of water (500mls)
sliced ham as a snack with some mayo

Reactions: 6 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mo earlier mentioned using My Fitness Pal. Last year, I developed hypothyroid and got very demotivated, I became very sedentary and put on a stone in weight. So I'm trying to lose it with a combination of exercise and calorie control.
I spent a month putting calories in out to the test.

Last month I used MFP in conjunction with a pedometer.I have a vivofit which links to it (as does a fitbit which can be cheaper) . This means you can track both your calorie intake and to a certain extent your expenditure.
My vivofit has a heart rate monitor which you can wear for an activity and means that the calorie expended count may be more accurate than just steps alone. (did increase the cost though)

In June, I walked just under 200km (this was 'activity' ie in addition to normal walking for shopping or around the house)
I apparently expended 18,756 cals during these walks. This works out at 150 cals a mile That's a bit more than that mentioned above, I did walk relatively quickly and it's very hilly round here, my walks include 160- 240m of climb.
( I'm a gadget person and also have a GPS watch which measures that . It also shows me the vivofit distance is fairly accurate ).

I used MFP as it is set up There is a figure to lose weight gradually according to your BMR, mine if I am sedentary is 1200 cals. It then adds your exercise calories to your 'allowance' . This means that I normally end up with 1500-1600 cals . In theory , I should lose weight if I don't go above this figure
. It's working for me at the moment with a gradual weigh loss of about 0 .5kg a week.

Annpanz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mo earlier mentioned using My Fitness Pal. Last year, I developed hypothyroid and got very demotivated, I became very sedentary and put on a stone in weight. So I'm trying to lose it with a combination of exercise and calorie control.
I spent a month putting calories in out to the test.

Last month I used MFP in conjunction with a pedometer.I have a vivofit which links to it (as does a fitbit which can be cheaper) . This means you can track both your calorie intake and to a certain extent your expenditure.
My vivofit has a heart rate monitor which you can wear for an activity and means that the calorie expended count may be more accurate than just steps alone. (did increase the cost though)

In June, I walked just under 200km (this was 'activity' ie in addition to normal walking for shopping or around the house)
I apparently expended 18,756 cals during these walks. This works out at 150 cals a mile That's a bit more than that mentioned above, I did walk relatively quickly and it's very hilly round here, my walks include 160- 240m of climb.
( I'm a gadget person and also have a GPS watch which measures that . It also shows me the vivofit distance is fairly accurate ).

I used MFP as it is set up There is a figure to lose weight gradually according to your BMR, mine if I am sedentary is 1200 cals. It then adds your exercise calories to your 'allowance' . This means that I normally end up with 1500-1600 cals . In theory , I should lose weight if I don't go above this figure
. It's working for me at the moment with a gradual weigh loss of about 0 .5kg a week.

Hi i too use the vivofit my fitness pal and i also bought the Garmin gps 110 Love the Vivofit for my daily steps and the 110 for exact mileage ..... I walk as an extra 3 miles min every day and upto 8 miles Sat and Sun....... i had an allowance 1600 cals per day of which i have gave up and now on Low Carbs

Annpanz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
today I ve had 1 egg 2 turkey steaks a whole head of broccoli is this ok so far ?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Dont forget you can have full fat mayo or extra virgin olive oil and herb as a dressing or tumeric (good for you) or butter as dressings. Go mad on sensible veg be wary of underground veg test if you are ok slam that in
The importaint thing is to enjoy food :)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l assume the above egg turkey was lunch?. Or was it 1 egg brekkie then lunch? Eggs for the record are off every ones bad list from heart foundation to nhs to well everyone except vegans...enjoy

Annpanz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
l assume the above egg turkey was lunch?. Or was it 1 egg brekkie then lunch? Eggs for the record are off every ones bad list from heart foundation to nhs to well everyone except vegans...enjoy
Fried egg and turkey was breakfast. Broccoli was lunch. Full fat Greek yogurt A handful of ham and a cheese string. Just finished a 3 mile walk. 5 x 500ml bottle water. So far