so disheartened

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
Diagnosed 10 May as T2, 2x metformin and 1x simvastatin. Started healthy eating from that date, have not eaten any junk food whatsoever, no choccy, crisps cake biscuits, cut out all pastry, white bread and potatoes and lived like a rabbit for the last month and I haven't lost any weight, I feel so disheartened about it, why haven't I lost at least a little weight, am I just being impatient. I am seeing DN next week, I hope she can help me with some answers. I bought my first BG meter today and my reading two hours after breakfast of bran flakes and raspberries was 8.8 is this good, not to sure what it should be.

Grazer

Sometimes the weight takes a while to start shifting, dont be disheartened. The most important thing is to get your BGs under control, and I'm sure your diet will be helping with that.
The 8.8 after brekkie was a little high; should be less than 8.5, and hopefully below 7.8. You had bran flakes for breakfast - a lot of diabetics can't eat cereal at breakfast at all, far too high in carbs. Also, quite a lot of sugar in Bran flakes. Try a smaller portion, and see if BGs are better. I have bite-size shredded wheat; just as many carbs but no sugar. A lot of people have scrambled eggs, or an omelette, or something like that for breakfast with almost no carbs.
You say you've cut out white bread, which is a good step, but ANY bread is pretty bad. About the safest is Burgen soya and linseed bread. Even then, only one or two slices in a day.
Why don't you post up a typical day's diet, then we could comment and point out any issues with it.
Cheer up, it takes a while, but you'll get there!

A

Anonymous

Hi Alison

Now you have your meter you will have a much better idea what is safe for you to eat. Do you like yoghurt? I buy the Greek one from Lidl. A massive tub is less than £2, and it is the lowest in carbs I have found. You could mix your raspberries in with it, and a little sweetener if it is to tart.

Like Grazer said, you will get there. Chin up x

josie38

Hi,

I would take grazer's advice and post a typical days intake and maybe you could get advice from other T2's who have/had similar problems as yourself.

When i wrote down everything I ate in a day i was dismayed at the amount of things that i ate. I bought Rosemary Conley's scales which give me carb, fat etc info and now weigh my portions before eating. I also keep sugar free polos on me in case i get munchies when i'm out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't give up - like grazer says it can take a while and your body has to adjust to things that are going on x

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Josie

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
Thanks all, a typical days intake of food are as follows:
Brekky, cup of coffee no sugar, bran flakes with either strawberries or raspberries
mid morning piece of fruit apple, tangerine or a banana
lunch small chicken pasta salad, small portion of pineapple chunks in natural juice, diet coke
mid afternoon slice wholemeal toast, cup of tea no sugar
supper salad with small baked potato with either chicken, lean steak, 1 slice ham or two eggs, cup of tea no sugar

the odd uncle joes mint, no more than 3 because I am also giving up smoking, absolutely no goodies at all, but I really miss the pastry lol,just where am I going wrong, any help would be appreciated :cry: :cry: :cry:

Grazer

OK, so here's what I'd change:-

Brekkie, try a small portion shredded wheat or all bran (not bran flakes) If testing is over 7.8 after two hours, switch to eggs etc
Mid-morning, NO banana. Worst of all fruit. Apple or tangerine not so bad.
Lunch, leave out the pineapple chunks in juice. The juice, natural or not, is all sugar. You don't need "5 a day"; if the nurse told you that, forget it.
Mid afternoon toast - ditch it, and wait for a nice evening meal instead. You don't need snacks, and bread isn't good.
Evening, ditch the baked potato and have a couple of boiled small NEW potatos instead. Far less starch. Or leave out all potatos and have a nice big salad with the chicken or steak, with avocados, cheese, hard boiled egg and so on.

SweetHeart

Don't give up Alison! You will stop craving sweet things after a while. It must be doubly hard giving up smoking, so you are doing really well!

There are plenty of yummy low carb things in the Chocolate Paradise Thread and the Low Carb Recipes section.

If you are still struggling to lose weight ask your GP to test your thyroid function. If your metabolism is slow you'll have a hard time losing weight, as I did at first. I've lost a stone so far but hit a plateau now, but I still don't think my under active thyroid is right and tomorrow I'm going to badger the new GP (poor woman, not met MH and I yet!) to get the meds increased. If you google hypothyroidism you'll see the other symptoms and might be able to rule it out yourself.

Ju

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Alison I think you are BLOODY GREAT giving up smoking as well, I have decided lose the weight then give up smoking could not do both at once...Well done!!!!

Terminator 2

Hi Alison,

Do you measure your Bran Flakes?

I have Bran Flakes quite regular, had them this morning, 40g in a bowl with Semi-Skimmed milk but if I used my old method of 'say when' my BS would be sky high lol

Getting your BS levels in check like Grazer says is your 1st priority, doing that usually goes hand in hand with weight loss, well that's been my experience anyway.

Best of luck :thumbup:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Don't get disheartened your doing a great job, Trial and error I find, I try my pancreas finds the error :lol: