1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So excited I'm definitely getting there!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Iona May, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Iona May

Iona May · Active Member

I had my 3 month Diabetes review a couple of weeks ago and my Hba1c is back and its gone from my first test of 74 to 49. I am honestly so happy I actually cried.

It just goes to show that all the hard work with regards to eating low carb, reducing stress and moving more has paid off. I am taking Metformin but only 2 the docs wanted 4 but I am struggling to tolerate them so am feeling better about just taking the 2.

This may sound crazy but I honestly believe that type 2 diabeties may have been a good thing to happen to me. I think that it gave me the kick up the behind I needed to sort my life out. I am 25 lbs down from my heaviest and feeling so much better in myself at one point I thought I might be mentally ill, I felt so out of sorts.

Anyway a big thank you to you all, for all the help and advice I have been given since diagnosis and to anyone struggling commit to it as best you can it really is worth it, keep on going.

• Winner Winner x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Master
    Retired Moderator

I agree, I always say my type 2 diagnosis was the kick up the bum I needed to get my health sorted :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Iona May

Iona May · Active Member

Crazy that thats what it takes isnt it but I could never seem to get my mindset under control before.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Iona May Congratulations on bringing your HbA1C like that.
    Do you have a Blood Glucose meter so that you can test the effect of your meals? If not test before a meal and then 2hrs after first bite. If your BG has risen by more than 2mmol from just before the meal then there were too many carbohydrates in that meal for you (or ones you can't cope with))
    If you can reduce your HbA1Clike that with Low Carb, then you probably don't actually need the small extra help that Metformin provides. So since you are still finding Metformin tough to cope with, try cutting it back to 1 a day for a week to see if you can tell any difference.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Iona May

Iona May · Active Member

Thank you! Yes I have a meter and I can usually stick within 2 given that I've mainly given up all heavily carby food.

I seem to be ok on the 2 but the long term goal is to get rid of the medication all together but one step at a time.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook