So [Expletive Deleted] Frustrated: A Rant

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's me put in my place then. I was feeling quite proud that I have reduced my BMI from 44 to 34.3 (still higher than yours) Hey ho, time to take a break from this place methinks.
I apologize. I don’t want to make anyone feel bad. I'm very frustrated by my lack of weight loss when it "seems" I'm doing everything right. My apologies.

Reactions: zand

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @neithskye and @zand, I am going to make you both honorary members of the club I am president of: Those Of Us Who Don't Lose Weight Easily. You can both be VPs if you wish!! Seriously, if I let the lack of weight loss take presidense - O can't spell that word right today!! - over all the other benefits that I have gained with better controlled blood sugars, I would be of all women. most miserable. I have one screwed up metabolism and I fight very hard for every pound I lose and it used to rip me up a good one when I would read about those who lost weight without any "so called effort".....but you know what? I've gotten to the place where I cheer for those fortunate people and gotten an attitude change about my own journey.....it's not about them, it's about me and my journey.....I don't know what else is going on in their lives and I don't need to know....what I do need to know is that they are battling the same dreaded diagnosis and forging their way as best they can and so am I.

We are all winners in attacking this disease and gaining health, confidence, control, better outcomes for our futures......that is what really counts. Do I wish I could look differently? Some days, but most days I get up thanking God for another day to live joyfully with my loved ones, try to spread a little cheer and encouragement where I can and not let diabetes or any of the other conditions I battle get the best of me.....

Enough preaching!! Hang in there ladies - and I don't mean that as a pun - and be the very best you can be. Remember to smile and live with a grateful heart! Blessings/L

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I apologize. I don’t want to make anyone feel bad. I'm very frustrated by my lack of weight loss when it "seems" I'm doing everything right. My apologies.
Sorry, I apologise too, I share your frustration. I had a bad day yesterday when I felt the whole world was against me. Today I am staying away from the world....

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

I do intermittent fasting in the sense that once I wake up I keep right on not eating. So it can be 16-18 hours. Usually because I'm not hungry.

The only dairy I eat is cheese.

I eat no fruit at all. Not even berries. And no juice. Just water and the occasional diet soda for me.

Hi @neithskye,

Congrats on your brilliant achievements re HbA1c and fatty liver. Well deserved after this much hard work.

Have you considered dropping the diet soda? I seem to remember that artificial sweeteners can cause an insulin response (at least for some of us) -- and raised insulin levels are what keeps us from accessing our fat reserves. Might be worth a try anyway.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on July 6th. Total surprise. My A1C was 11.8% and my FBG was 16.2 mmol.

Started the LCHF diet; got better at it as I learned. Started swimming.

I had three-month blood test on October 5th. A1C now 6.1%. FBG was 7.3 mmol. Fatty liver now normal.

Had doctor's appointment today. She looked at my daily BG log and said I was "doing too well." Now removing Jardiance from meds.

Clearly I'm doing something right.

It's been three weeks since my last weigh-in. Excitedly stepped on the scales. I'm the exact same weight!

I am so [expletive deleted] frustrated! Why can't I lose weight?

I'm 5'3". Started at 193 pounds. Am now 180. So, yes, I have lost weight but 13 pounds in four months is pathetic.

Everywhere around me I see others have lost 30-40 pounds by this stage. What am I doing wrong?!?

I know I should be happy with my blood results. But I am just so discouraged.

Thank you for listening to me rant.
It just doesn't go exactly fast for all of us... I know I struggle with it. I lost 10 kilo's because my bloodsugars were high. I thought it was cancer, as that runs in the family, and the doc thought it was cancer too, but in the end, it was the diabetes-diagnosis that explained it. So that was 10 kilo's I didn't have to fight for, those I got for free. (They just scared the living sh*t out of me). The next 15 kilo's were a 2 year long struggle. I mean, this monday I was 75,5, today I'm back at 76,5. Yesterday was 77. So close to my target of 75, and it all went to heck again. It's a constant struggle, even with IF and Keto, but you know what? My HbA1c is beautiful, my fatty liver's doing loads better, my cholesterol is okay, and I have energy. Even when I do get a flu-shot, a cold or even a bladderinfection, my bloodsugars are next to perfect, I dont go higher than 9 for a few hours, even if I get a steroid shot! And then back down to 4's and 5's! That's nearly a miracle! That's what I'm in this for. I may still be a big girl, but at least I'm a healthier, happier one. And one that heals faster without requiring a bunch of antibiotics to back her up.

Besides, you're excersizing more and muscle mass weighs more than fat, so you might want to go by measurements rather than what the scales say... Call it a win. We can't all be a keto-posterchild. I wish I could be one, but I take my victories wherever I can get them.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's me put in my place then. I was feeling quite proud that I have reduced my BMI from 44 to 34.3 (still higher than yours) Hey ho, time to take a break from this place methinks.
I know there's a hug icon, but still. *HUG*

Reactions: zand

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
How about trying some resistance training, this might unlock the whoosh effect. You might want try dead lifts and squats; whilst you may not get as much weight loss as cardio due to the lean mass, you could get the desired shrinking size. It is my view that it is better to say have a 30 inch waist and have 5 kg extra lean mass, than a 30 inch waist with a greater proportion of fat. It may be worth a try using the weight training stress (it will not make you a muscle bound monster outwardly, but will ramp up metabolics).

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful replies. I took a break, ate an entire 280 gram bag of Cheese Puffs, and feel better. My doctor's referred me to some diet program and I see a personal trainer on Wednesday. I'll ask her about resistance training, @Mbaker. Thanks for the perspective, everyone. Onwards!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@neithskye just a thought. This thread prompted me to look back at my records. They show a very similar loss rate to yours at the start - took over 3 months to lose 13 pounds. The breakthrough for me in weight loss terms was regular intermittent fasting: always skipping breakfast and a sustained (many months) period of eating only once a day at least 3 times a week, with a few periods of 14 consecutive days of one meal a day. If you’re not already trying that it might be worth a whirl - it does wonders for BG control so you can’t lose (pardon the pun).

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@neithskye just a thought. This thread prompted me to look back at my records. They show a very similar loss rate to yours at the start - took over 3 months to lose 13 pounds. The breakthrough for me in weight loss terms was regular intermittent fasting: always skipping breakfast and a sustained (many months) period of eating only once a day at least 3 times a week, with a few periods of 14 consecutive days of one meal a day. If you’re not already trying that it might be worth a whirl - it does wonders for BG control so you can’t lose (pardon the pun).
Thanks for that. Unfortunately my body just doesn't lose weight easily. For example, when I had my gallbladder out I didn't eat much for days and didn't lose a single pound.

I randomly fast but not on purpose. It's because I'm not hungry. For example, I haven't eaten currently for 17 hours. Does that count or does it have to be "structured" fasting; i.e., a strict 16 hours off, eight hours on schedule?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. Unfortunately my body just doesn't lose weight easily. For example, when I had my gallbladder out I didn't eat much for days and didn't lose a single pound.

I randomly fast but not on purpose. It's because I'm not hungry. For example, I haven't eaten currently for 17 hours. Does that count or does it have to be "structured" fasting; i.e., a strict 16 hours off, eight hours on schedule?

17 hours definitely counts as intermittent fasting - being guided by hunger sounds like a great strategy. Sounds like you’re doing great to me.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To me, it seems like you are a winner and doing well. Losing 2 pounds a month of real weight, i.e. not water weight, is very healthy and going well, as you may be able to keep that weight off permanently. Moreover, your rate is almost three pounds a month. Depending on your age, whether or not you are concerned with your reproductive health, whether you are breast feeding or planning the same, and a number of other things, losing more per month may actually be a bad idea. I, too, lost my weight slowly, over a two year period. But I kept it off!

Several normal conditions that people have when diabetic can slow weight loss. These include hypothyroidism of any kind, especially Hashinoto's Thyroiditis, a parathyroid problem, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), being female, and then just the old plain metabolic rate. So, don't go by other folks, go by YOU and YOU are doing pretty fine and on a steady positive course

By the way, unless you have a physician you can see or access frequently, intermittent fasting can have metabolic consequences of its own. Skipping breakfast every day is one thing. But fasting longer than that without supervision is another
Thank you. I'm 47 and went into menopause at 42. I guess I should say perimenopause because just when I think I'm finally fully in it I'm not! I'm sure my hormones being out of whack isn't helping. And most of my fat is belly fat, and that doesn't help either.

I just didn't understand why others have lost so much more weight than I by this stage. Technically I'm obese, so I figured the weight would just be flying off. Plus it's math. Calories eaten < calories burned = weight loss. Logic. Obviously bodies are a bit more complicated than that. :p

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Why the hurry? Why so impatient? This is not a question of dropping a few pounds before a wedding, but a question of something far more important, your health for years to come. We're all different, and we've all lived our lives in different ways, and I'm sure this reflects on how our bodies behave today, science or no science. You'll get there steadily albeit slowly, like me and like so many others. I do agree with the other posters in this thread that your BS readings are excellent and I'm in no doubt that so many other diabetics would give their right arm for those readings.
Cheer up, be proud of your achievements and love yourself for that magnificent spine of yours :) Most importantly, like others have already said, stop comparing your achievements to those of the 'superlosers' out there.
Geez, you sound like me ;)

Reactions: ziggy_w

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why the hurry? Why so impatient? This is not a question of dropping a few pounds before a wedding, but a question of something far more important, your health for years to come. We're all different, and we've all lived our lives in different ways, and I'm sure this reflects on how our bodies behave today, science or no science. You'll get there steadily albeit slowly, like me and like so many others. I do agree with the other posters in this thread that your BS readings are excellent and I'm in no doubt that so many other diabetics would give their right arm for those readings.
Cheer up, be proud of your achievements and love yourself for that magnificent spine of yours :) Most importantly, like others have already said, stop comparing your achievements to those of the 'superlosers' out there.
Geez, you sound like me ;)
I wasn't so much in a hurry or impatient. More like I thought I was doing something wrong.

I've seen many "I lost 30 pounds in three months" posts, and thought I must be doing something wrong. Especially since the changes I've made are so drastic - I'm swimming now where I was sedentary before and my diet is so healthy now where it was complete junk before.

I also lost no weight in July and August, lost 13 pounds in September, and haven't lost a single pound since the end of September. I find that puzzling.

I didn't want six months to go by and suddenly learn I should have been doing something different that whole time. For example I saw a personal trainer today who told me I should be on some bile digestive pills or something because I have no gallbladder and that could be affecting my weight loss. I had my gallbladder out 27 years ago and this is the first I'm hearing about this?

Reactions: briped

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve nothing to back this up but I’ve seen on low carb forum repeatedly advice about how the body “heals” initially before losing fat. Inflammation/function etc. Your body has certainly healed in terms in glucose/insulin management. Many of these posters talk about a point in time, sometimes months into it, where it suddenly clicks.

Gallbladder. I’ve had mine out last year. Some people struggle with fat digestion afterwards. Some don’t. Bile digestion pills can help those that need it. Others produce enough bile at one time to cope with the fat they eat and it’s will do nothing to help those.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I wasn't so much in a hurry or impatient. More like I thought I was doing something wrong.

I've seen many "I lost 30 pounds in three months" posts, and thought I must be doing something wrong. Especially since the changes I've made are so drastic - I'm swimming now where I was sedentary before and my diet is so healthy now where it was complete junk before.

I also lost no weight in July and August, lost 13 pounds in September, and haven't lost a single pound since the end of September. I find that puzzling.

I didn't want six months to go by and suddenly learn I should have been doing something different that whole time. For example I saw a personal trainer today who told me I should be on some bile digestive pills or something because I have no gallbladder and that could be affecting my weight loss. I had my gallbladder out 27 years ago and this is the first I'm hearing about this?

Ok, that makes sense, and you still sound like me :) These plateaus are normal, I believe. When I check my app I notice that between Sept. 4th and Oct. 31st, almost 2 months, I lost as much as ... wait for it... a whopping 1,2kgs!! Mind you, we could both be doing something wrong ;) On the other hand, when you gained weight, did you notice if this happened in steps too, or did you, like most of us, avoid the scales like the plague?
I weigh myself almost every day. My trick is to blatantly ignore the mornings when I've gained a kg or even two. I only open my app and make an entry when it's lower than it's ever been before? Cheating? No, I don't think so, because no matter what I'm still losing weight, sometimes very slowly, and then, like yesterday, suddenly I'd dropped 1 kg from the day before. I was too much of a coward to weigh myself today :hilarious:
If you read my bio you'll see that years ago I lost a massive 35kgs. I'd lose 1 - 1.5 kgs/week, so when I started LCHF I expected the same kind of results and was disappointed. Some say that my rather slow rate of losing weight could have to do with previous yo-yo'ing, and I'm sure that it also has to do with my being 12 years older.
As for exercise I'm not so sure it makes much of a difference to weight loss. It does to general health, no doubt, so going for walks and swimming is great for BG control, but in my experience not so much for weight loss.
However, if you're still not sure if you're doing something wrong maybe hop over here and read. https://www.dietdoctor.com/q-a-not-losing-weight-lchf

Reactions: Brunneria

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, that makes sense, and you still sound like me :) These plateaus are normal, I believe. When I check my app I notice that between Sept. 4th and Oct. 31st, almost 2 months, I lost as much as ... wait for it... a whopping 1,2kgs!! Mind you, we could both be doing something wrong ;) On the other hand, when you gained weight, did you notice if this happened in steps too, or did you, like most of us, avoid the scales like the plague?
I weigh myself almost every day. My trick is to blatantly ignore the mornings when I've gained a kg or even two. I only open my app and make an entry when it's lower than it's ever been before? Cheating? No, I don't think so, because no matter what I'm still losing weight, sometimes very slowly, and then, like yesterday, suddenly I'd dropped 1 kg from the day before. I was too much of a coward to weigh myself today :hilarious:
If you read my bio you'll see that years ago I lost a massive 35kgs. I'd lose 1 - 1.5 kgs/week, so when I started LCHF I expected the same kind of results and was disappointed. Some say that my rather slow rate of losing weight could have to do with previous yo-yo'ing, and I'm sure that it also has to do with my being 12 years older.
As for exercise I'm not so sure it makes much of a difference to weight loss. It does to general health, no doubt, so going for walks and swimming is great for BG control, but in my experience not so much for weight loss.
However, if you're still not sure if you're doing something wrong maybe hop over here and read. https://www.dietdoctor.com/q-a-not-losing-weight-lchf
I don't know about the gaining weight. I started gaining weight when I was seven when I started comfort eating after my parents divorced, and kept right on gaining up until adulthood. I've never been a normal weight since I was seven, 40 years ago.

I don’t own a scale because I know if I did I'd be on it every second. I weigh myself at my doctor's office whenever I go there for whatever reason. That's why I was in such a flustered mood when I wrote this original post. I'd gone for a prescription refill, and excitedly weighed myself. I was *so sure* I'd lost weight because I "felt" thinner, and to see I hadn't, especially as I hadn't lost a thing in the first two months, was just so discouraging.