So Frustrating

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
AAAAAAhhhhhh!!, last night I felt like going to the fridge getting all my insulin and dumping it in the bin, then sitting down and eating the last of my daughters chocolate birthday cake!!!!! This is so frustrating. I changed my bakcground insulin to Hypurin porcrine nearly two weeks ago after being on lantus and I still can't get it right. Maybe I was looking for it being a miracle, after struggling with the lantus for so long. I certainly feel better within myself but still very tired, probably due to the random BG results though and getting up through the night. I know I haven't been on it long, but surely I should be getting some good results by now. It seems to be the night time dosage I'm struggling with the most, I just seem to get it right and then the next morning my readings are high again!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi avi.

We have all been there. Things not going as we expected and frustration getting to us. It will get better I am sure of that. Just perhaps needs a little time for things to settle down.

Not on Insulin so can't really help much but I am sure that someone will be along with much better advice than I could hope to give.

Treat yourself to that cake - a liitle won't do too much harm. :D Honest ??

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Avril,
What doses are you on of the Isophane, and do you split your dose? I've found splitting the dose keeps me really stable, but it did take a few weeks of juggling to get the dose right,so don'tfeel disheartened.
Jus

Blackadder

I was on Humalog mix last year and after reading all the information on here I decided to go back to animal insulin after 20 years of being on human. I was changed over in the mid eighties from animal to human.

So I to was put on Hypurin Porcine and tried as I did I couldn't get it as good as I wanted. I felt a little better but the actual control was still way too spiky and the tiredness and all the things that I had read online didn't seem to work for me over a 6 month period and I had to make a decision to try something different again. I found animal insulin takes wayyyyy tooo long to work, sometimes 10 hours in my case, it was just awful for that reason.

So I went onto Lantus/Novorapid and my control imediately improved dramatically but I kept getting muscle pains, headaches and a few sudden BS lows witout rhyme or reason. I then changed to Levemir which doesn't give me the headaches, is a much more level BS and I no longer get the muscle cramps. Still struggling to get the level right but it's much better.

I am not one of these people who particularly thinks natural animal insulin is better cos for me and other people it isn't. The best insulin is the one that works for you so keep trying until you find the one that does.

avi

Dislikes
Hi

I'm not on big doses, to start of with I kept to the same doses as the lantus but split it 8 at night and 7 morning. I've been getting up through the night and decided on this dose it was running out as I tested early on in the morning and my Bg was fine but on getting up had creeped way up. Same through the day after tea I could see them creeping up. However I tried increasing by 1 unit night and morning and just ended up with lots of hypos through the day even with cutting back on my meal time insulin. I have also tried injecting different sites.

Avril

avi

Dislikes
.... oh and by the way was on levemir before lantus but had a bad reaction to that so hence the change to lantus

Avril

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Avi

Sorry to hear the frustration :x we have all been at that stage at some time in our diabetic careers! :lol:

Two weeks is really very little time to get doses sorted and good control – yep I’m sure there are diabetics who have moved onto a new insulin regime and it worked first time but.....I think they were just probably b””””y lucky!

Looking back at my log – it was a good 6 weeks before I got an idea of what requirements I needed and even now I am still tweaking!

What times are you injecting the Isophane? I’m sensing that you might only be getting 8 hours coverage from the Isophane – is that a correct assumption?

What rapid acting insulin are you currently using & do you have an idea of how long this is lasting on average?

Do you know what your blood sugar levels are for example at 4am?

Sorry for all the questions but my analytical mind is just trying to sort out what is happening and thus I might be able to provide some helpful advice.

As blackadder mentioned it really is a case of trial & error and possibly trying alternatives until you find the best insulin to suit your requirements. There are other long acting insulin’s available.

Hang in there.

I’m sending a big hug over to you.

Txxx

avi

Dislikes
Hi Kewgirl

Currently on Novorapid, tested at 4am Bg was 7.4 next morning at 8 am 10.9. Taking isophane at 10pm and that was eight units and 7 units at 9am, noticed it was running out after tea as at 8pm was at 4.6 then 10pm 11.3. Tried upping by one unit either end of the day and ended up having hypos from lunch time onwards, even tried cutting back on the novorapid still hypos. Also have tried injecting in thighs and abdomen. I think I was holding out for a quick fix, and I should knowby now as far as this is concerned their aren't any. Thanks for your continued support though its much appreciated.

Avril

iHs

Avi

Try fine tuning your carb intake a bit more to make this insulin work out a bit better for you. Eating 'little and often' usually makes naughty insulins behave themselves :wink: If you can test yourself about 6 times a day, you should be able to increase/decrease the amount of carb that you eat so to avoid the highs and the lows.

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Avi

Please don’t be hard on yourself - fine tuning/tweaking is the key and I know it seems that BG’s of 10 & 11 are higher than you would like they are a means to an end.

Your body is having to adjust to a new type of insulin – we assume it’s a simple process but the body is probably saying what is happening here, what’s going on. You also have to detox from the Lantus and that is not going to happen overnight.

You might be being too hasty with changing the sites you inject in – if you chop & change too quickly the body just doesn’t know how to respond.

As iHs advised keep testing BG’s the more the better because you can then tweak carbohydrates. The other thing about frequent testing and keeping a log is it is then easier to note what is happening because you can refer back to it & you can monitor progress and where things have gone well or not so well.

Exercise also has a big impact on the insulin response.

Are you taking Novorapid at lunch time? What time are you having evening Novorapid?
Apologies for more questions.

Two weeks in its still really early days.

Txx

avi

Dislikes
Hi
Your right I think I am chopping and changing too much in the hope that I hit it right, I never did have patience, alwways looking for the quick solution. I will have to be a bit more consistant until I see a pattern established and then change. I do still take lunch time novo rapid but am taking less, which I think will probably have to be cut back further, I have also cut back at breakfast. I have tea at about five so I take some then as well. I am finding my ratios less but more consistant as well as feeling a bit better so can't be too bad. I test obssesively and get up through the night to test as well. As for excersise I don't do as much as I used to because of feeling rubbish all the time but I do walk the dog for about an hour a day sometimes twice a day if I'm feeling up to it and I cover the excersise with some extra carbs.
Avril