so frustrating!!!

Sal78

Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with GD at 32/33 weeks pregnant. I have been asked to monitor my blood sugars regularly. I have never really eaten white bread, always opting for granary - and VERY granary at that (the more seeds the better! :D ) so thought that was OK.
I had 2 slices this morning (a turkey BLT) and my glucose was 8.9 an hour after eating (too high). The same happened when I had 2 slices at lunchtime the other day.

Jacket potato also sent it high, but I am not surprised, and am willing to not eat them, so long as I could have my wholegrain/granary but it appears not! What type of bread/carbs CAN I eat?? At the moment it appears nothing! I only have a few weeks to get my head around this before the arrival of my little one but want to ensure I am doing as well as possible.

Thanks in advance

S x

elaine77

Hi Sal,

Granary is usually ok for many people, certainly the better choice anyway. The usual advice is to test 2 hours after eating though not just 1 hour, 1 hour reading will always be higher :) I always have granary too but have cut back on portion size. Welcome!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Bisto44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sal

I have recently converted to Burgens Linseed bread and found it much better with regard to affecting Bg levels. It has 9g per slice as opposed to an average of 18g per slice of most white breads.

Hope this helps

Tim

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sal78

Thanks both for your suggestions!
I will try the Burgens bread - I like that.

As for timings, I have been advised by the diabetic midwife team to test 1 hour after eating so will carry on with that but mention it at my appointment later today.

The latest casualty in my diet is oatibix with skimmed milk. I had 2 oatibix this morning with just enough skimmed milk to soak it, followed by 2 Babybel light cheeses and after a good pre brekkie fasting blood test of 4.8 it was a whopping 9.5 an hour after breakfast! The highest yet!!!

Trial and error it seems... :? I have donated the granary bread and oatibix to work colleagues. I have an appointment with the dietician this afternoon, so I hope that helps a little!
BTW - wholemeal pasta was OK yesterday - 6.8 an hour after eating....totally arbitrary it seems! :D

S x

Sal78

update - Had a bit of an emotional meltdown this morning!!!! :crazy:

On dieticians advice, I had plain branflakes and skimmed milk this morning and bloods were a whopping 10.0!!! Apparently lots of people ring up re. breakfast cereals putting their blood numbers up, and the only thing which works OK is porridge apparently - or a cooked breakfast. Good thing I'm not a fussy eater!

S x

elaine77

With the cereals It depends on each individual... I eat Weetabix and Cheerios, both wholegrain and my body can manage them i find.
I usually use them to bring me down in the mornings as my fasting levels r the highest of the lot :-(

Also did u ask re the testing? When I had GD I was told by my nurses/midwives to test 2 hours after a meal, if they want you to test 1 hour after that's fine but it will always be higher and your body may still be digesting the food so it's not really the most accurate indicator of how the food has effected you :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.