So, I’ve been told I must see a dietician..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
My struggles with food have, unfortunately, intensified.

My pain clinic nurse told me that she’s starting to worry. My work colleagues now remark on how thin I look and how, if I stand sideways, they can barely see me; how my clothes hang on me..

I’ve lost 29 lb now. Not much by many standards but when you’re a tall, rather gangly individual with a long body, long arms and legs and broad shoulders and you were never “big” then, apparently, it shows enough to worry people.

I was asked how much weight I would lose. I said I didn’t know. I was honest and said that food doesn’t really interest me now. I went shopping today and haven’t purchased a single item for breakfast or my work lunches next week. There’s simply nothing I could eat that I want to eat.

I’ve looked at websites and read a hundred recipes, I’ve even made cookies but I have no motivation to make stuff that I know I’m not really interested in eating.

It’s become an issue and now people are noticing I suppose I need the help.

But the sense of failure and not knowing where I am going with this is quite overwhelming.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What IS your favourite food? If someone cooked it for you, would you eat it?

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Have you ever tried any therapy to look at your food issues? I hope you get thru this soon.
Take care

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What IS your favourite food? If someone cooked it for you, would you eat it?
Right now, nothing at all.

I have no idea. Every thing I fancy is just a fleeting thing. It comes and then goes and eating becomes...has become, a chore.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excuse me for being blunt here, but if people are making these comments to you, perhaps you ought to take it seriously, your body is like a car in one respect, when it runs out of fuel it just stops. This obviously has serious implications both for you and those around you, so stop being selfish here and get the help you need, it is actually being offered TAKE IT NOW

Reactions: Robinredbreast

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 - firstly, I don't think the "Meh" feeling regarding food is all that uncommon in people who have or are making big changes to their way of eating. The person goes from being able to choose anything, to making informed, but sometimes feeling like enforced changes. Enforced change is more difficult to embed than informed change.

Lots of folks go through this, and many find the feeling lifts, or is driven away, probably sometimes by hunger.

Personally, I'm an enthusiastic eater. OK, rename that as greedy! But, yes, I enjoy my food, but I've been in that place from time to time. As I already have a very slight frame, I just go utility in those circumstances. I look on food as fuel, and deal with it with something I know won't upset my tummy, but gets the calories in.

As far as our bodies are concerned, it can sometimes take our bodies a little while to smooth out the weight loss thing. We always seem to lose it where we least want to. For us girlies, that might be on the lady bumps, neck, face and so on, and for the chaps, it's often arms and legs. Over time, once the loss stops, the weight almost sort of reshuffles. Of course, it doesn't always help when our weight loss and wardrobe options aren't quite aligned!

I was overseas when I lost my weight. I didn't have huge amounts to go, but went off sailing, and came back a skinny old bird, with clothes hanging off me. Clothes that fit do help, and once I got a few things that worked for me, it also helped me a great deal with a touch of body dysmorphia. In my minds eye, I went from being a bag of bones, to a skinny old baggage, but a skinny baggage is better than a bag of bones, in my head!

Yes, of course you should grasp all the help you can get to deal with your multiple conditions, but sometimes these things pass too. Hopefully your appointment will come quickly and you can be sorted out.

Any news on your op yet?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Not meaning to offend, but this just looks like a psychological issue (from the outside looking in).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Not meaning to offend, but this just looks like a psychological issue (from the outside looking in).

Unfortunately @Patrick66 has many of the symptoms of an eating disorder (eating disorders are surprisingly common among people on restrictive diets). This is not just a psychological issue but can be a severe psychiatric condition. Once your weight goes down to a certain level it can become impossible for the sufferer to think rationally about food, hunger symptoms are masked and they don't even realise they are making self destructive decisions.

To Patrick66, please try to realise that you may not be thinking rationally about this right now, and try to both eat and get some help with your issue. Good luck.

Edited to add:
And getting an eating disorder is not a sign of failure: it's an illness like any other. A lot of people associate eating disorders with anorexic teenage girls who are trying to get thin, but there are plenty of other forms and one of the triggers is going on a restrictive diet, particularly one which may not be containing enough calories.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Unfortunately @Patrick66 has many of the symptoms of an eating disorder (eating disorders are surprisingly common among people on restrictive diets). This is not just a psychological issue but can be a severe psychiatric condition. Once your weight goes down to a certain level it can become impossible for the sufferer to think rationally about food, hunger symptoms are masked and they don't even realise they are making self destructive decisions.

To Patrick66, please try to realise that you may not be thinking rationally about this right now, and try to both eat and get some help with your issue. Good luck.

Edited to add:
And getting an eating disorder is not a sign of failure: it's an illness like any other. A lot of people associate eating disorders with anorexic teenage girls who are trying to get thin, but there are plenty of other forms and one of the triggers is going on a restrictive diet, particularly one which may not be containing enough calories.

I do agree, I didn't mean for it to come across as JUST a single simple problem. So I do appologise to you @Patrick66 it it sounds like I'm just writing your problem off as that simple.

Reactions: gemma_T1 and EllieM

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My struggles with food have, unfortunately, intensified.

My pain clinic nurse told me that she’s starting to worry. My work colleagues now remark on how thin I look and how, if I stand sideways, they can barely see me; how my clothes hang on me..

I’ve lost 29 lb now. Not much by many standards but when you’re a tall, rather gangly individual with a long body, long arms and legs and broad shoulders and you were never “big” then, apparently, it shows enough to worry people.

I was asked how much weight I would lose. I said I didn’t know. I was honest and said that food doesn’t really interest me now. I went shopping today and haven’t purchased a single item for breakfast or my work lunches next week. There’s simply nothing I could eat that I want to eat.

I’ve looked at websites and read a hundred recipes, I’ve even made cookies but I have no motivation to make stuff that I know I’m not really interested in eating.

It’s become an issue and now people are noticing I suppose I need the help.

But the sense of failure and not knowing where I am going with this is quite overwhelming.

I would be concerned that this may be the early pattern of a disordered approach to eating, and the words you use "simply nothing I could eat", "I have no motivation", "food doesn't really interest me" sounds like there may be a slight depression issue too? The two can go hand in hand.
As others have pointed out, food is fuel, and at this point it doesn't matter what it is that is fuelling you - just as long as something is. Have you tried any nutritional meal replacement drinks? I was just wondering whether in the short-term you could use those, and in the longer term make a plan to see your GP and also take up the offer of a dietitian, and also think about counselling.

Reactions: gemma_T1

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I’ve lost 29 lb now.

I think the important hing about weight loss is that it's not what others think, it's what you think. Are you overweight at your present weight. I have no idea why people get so concerned when you lose weight. I lost 6 stone and people started making comments, ignoring the fact that I was still 6 stone overweight. You have to ask yourself how much do you weight and how much should you weigh?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excuse me for being blunt here, but if people are making these comments to you, perhaps you ought to take it seriously, your body is like a car in one respect, when it runs out of fuel it just stops. This obviously has serious implications both for you and those around you, so stop being selfish here and get the help you need, it is actually being offered TAKE IT NOW
Where did I say I wasn’t taking it seriously ?

And being selfish ?. If you are off food then you are off food, that’s it. It’s not a deliberate act. I’m not sabotaging myself. I started from a very restricted diet and it’s now been further restricted.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 - firstly, I don't think the "Meh" feeling regarding food is all that uncommon in people who have or are making big changes to their way of eating. The person goes from being able to choose anything, to making informed, but sometimes feeling like enforced changes. Enforced change is more difficult to embed than informed change.

Lots of folks go through this, and many find the feeling lifts, or is driven away, probably sometimes by hunger.

Personally, I'm an enthusiastic eater. OK, rename that as greedy! But, yes, I enjoy my food, but I've been in that place from time to time. As I already have a very slight frame, I just go utility in those circumstances. I look on food as fuel, and deal with it with something I know won't upset my tummy, but gets the calories in.

As far as our bodies are concerned, it can sometimes take our bodies a little while to smooth out the weight loss thing. We always seem to lose it where we least want to. For us girlies, that might be on the lady bumps, neck, face and so on, and for the chaps, it's often arms and legs. Over time, once the loss stops, the weight almost sort of reshuffles. Of course, it doesn't always help when our weight loss and wardrobe options aren't quite aligned!

I was overseas when I lost my weight. I didn't have huge amounts to go, but went off sailing, and came back a skinny old bird, with clothes hanging off me. Clothes that fit do help, and once I got a few things that worked for me, it also helped me a great deal with a touch of body dysmorphia. In my minds eye, I went from being a bag of bones, to a skinny old baggage, but a skinny baggage is better than a bag of bones, in my head!

Yes, of course you should grasp all the help you can get to deal with your multiple conditions, but sometimes these things pass too. Hopefully your appointment will come quickly and you can be sorted out.

Any news on your op yet?
My Op is now 5th April.

Saw the surgeon last Tuesday. He said I didn’t need another pre-op as they could do everything then and there and get my latest test results from my doctor.

Next day my pre-op appointment came through!. So I have to again on 22nd March..

This constant lack of communication really doesn’t help my mood.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do agree, I didn't mean for it to come across as JUST a single simple problem. So I do appologise to you @Patrick66 it it sounds like I'm just writing your problem off as that simple.
It’s fine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Op is now 5th April.

Saw the surgeon last Tuesday. He said I didn’t need another pre-op as they could do everything then and there and get my latest test results from my doctor.

Next day my pre-op appointment came through!. So I have to again on 22nd March..

This constant lack of communication really doesn’t help my mood.
But totally fab you have the date for your op. You can count the days down until at least that bit is out of the way.

Fantastic!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would be concerned that this may be the early pattern of a disordered approach to eating, and the words you use "simply nothing I could eat", "I have no motivation", "food doesn't really interest me" sounds like there may be a slight depression issue too? The two can go hand in hand.
As others have pointed out, food is fuel, and at this point it doesn't matter what it is that is fuelling you - just as long as something is. Have you tried any nutritional meal replacement drinks? I was just wondering whether in the short-term you could use those, and in the longer term make a plan to see your GP and also take up the offer of a dietitian, and also think about counselling.
I see my doctor on Monday for the exciting “medication review”!. I have to mention the dietitian to her then.

There’s no chance of counselling in this backwater. I won’t bore you with the long story of my...6-7 years in the tender mercies of the community mental health team...and counting!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think the important hing about weight loss is that it's not what others think, it's what you think. Are you overweight at your present weight. I have no idea why people get so concerned when you lose weight. I lost 6 stone and people started making comments, ignoring the fact that I was still 6 stone overweight. You have to ask yourself how much do you weight and how much should you weigh?
No idea how much I should weigh.

I was once told, based on height...13stone 3lb and I weigh more than that.

Then I watched a tv programme which said 12 stone 7lb...for my height...which just confused me..

I look in the mirror and just think I look fat..so must have looked fatter before...or at least my body looks fat..unfortunately my legs have always resembled those of a chicken and I have no muscle on my arms at all...

I think I look disgusting no matter what I weigh...

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
But totally fab you have the date for your op. You can count the days down until at least that bit is out of the way.

Fantastic!
Since it’s been cancelled three times already I can’t get too enthusiastic about it..it’s a private hospital and paying customers always trump we NHS patients.