So much insulin so little food

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Hiho.

Getting a bit frustrated now. This morning I had omlette with chicken and 1 cup of milk. I inject 10UI of insulin for 1 cup of semi-skimmed milk :***: My sugar level went from 10 up to 12. Im just thinking maybe I need more insulin the morning to get me kick started into the day. I know last night my sugar level was 8.7 and I had 1 piece of toast with chicken and this morning it was 10. Thats with no insulin at all! Is there anyone else out there who seems to need ALOT more insulin for breakfast than compared to other meals?

Thanks for reading!

Catwoman76

Dislikes
Bad manners and rudeness
Hello, No, I only have a small amount of insulin for breakfast, which normally consists of a small amount of cereal and toast or a small yogurt. A lot of people can have what they call the 'dawn phenomenon' where there sugar levels are that bit higher in the mornings. I hope you find something that works. Best wishes Sheena

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Thanks for the reply. The toast or cereal you have has more carbs in it than 1 cup of milk and I bet you don't inject more than 10UI for cereal/toast? Im a bodybuilder who carries some excess fat aswell so I can only put it down to this however at night I can eat more and inject less

Fallenstar

Hi Beav
Milk will spike you, it does me and we were told on DAFNE that people were told in the old days to treat Hypo with a glass of milk, and I know a lady who still uses this and it is good for her.
Milk contains Lactose which is a sugar formed from galactose and Glucose so you may need more for milk ,than toast???

I find my insulin needs are greater in a morning than later in the day, as Catwoman rightly says there is DP, I also run in a morning so have to account for the afterburn with my doses later in the day...could this also effect you around the times you work out??

Some people just need more insulin than others, depending on their sensitivity to it and how active they are ect. If you figures are OK I would not worry how much you inject.

Hope this helps

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
MY sugar level goes crazy high after a weight workout but its fine after cardio. After being diabetic 4 years ive just been told weight training will increase my sugar level due to the adrenalin. Its kind of hard for me as im meant to eat little and often which can be hard with jabs too. I find sometimes im doing my sugar level when its at its peak :/

Catwoman76

Dislikes
Bad manners and rudeness
Hi Beav

I have 2 to 3 units with my breakfast, but if it's on the high side, maybe low at night and had to eat something, then I only take 1 to 2 uints more as I'm Insulin sensitive and I have to be careful, as it will still affect me throughout the day. Sheena

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia - my carb ratio in the morning is currently 1:4 so quite high (1:12 at night). It's all down to the dawn phenomenon with me as my sugars stat to rise at 6am and steadily creep up and up so at the moment I'm having to cover my cereal and have insulin to adjust my higher reading. Going on a pump next Tuesday do there's more flexibility then to increase the insulin when its doing this.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Riri said:
Hia - my carb ratio in the morning is currently 1:4 so quite high (1:12 at night). It's all down to the dawn phenomenon with me as my sugars stat to rise at 6am and steadily creep up and up so at the moment I'm having to cover my cereal and have insulin to adjust my higher reading. Going on a pump next Tuesday do there's more flexibility then to increase the insulin when its doing this.

Very true, until i got a pump, my BG's were horrid in the morning and i would be chasing them all day. Now i've got the pump i wake up in the 5's or 6's and remain steady after waking.

Good luck with the pump!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Ahhh I would consider the pump but I think its only offered to people in certain areas. Im currently from West Midlands in England and my mum knows someone who is using a pump but they have to travel to Liverpool to see someone about it. (regularly).

I also do a lot of weight training as well and ide imagine the pump would get kind of annoying