So my Lil one has coeliac disease

Yaz2009

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Any one in this position that can offer any advice my Lil one has been now diagnosed with celiacs disease, he is 4 years old and it's been so hard for him especially as we have had to cut off more foods for him and he is getting so upset when it comes to snack times. :(

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear your bad news, I'm not a parent, nor do I have celiac disease but I felt you deserved a response from someone! Try to rest assured that this doesn't have to be a big deal, these days (partly because of so many people choosing to go gluten free) there's tons of free-from options in supermarkets, and many restaurants even mark some of their meals as gluten free. My younger brother has a friend with severe gluten intolerance, he brings a baking sheet with him that we put on top of any baking trays we use, and he even has a similar thing to put his gluten free bread into the toaster in :)

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have any experience with this but just a thought - Perhaps you could try making some snacks at home with him (there must be a number of gluten free recipes online??) that way, even if they don't taste as good as the 'real' ones, he may think they're awesome because he made them??

There are probably sites similar to this full of knowledge on the topic too - get googling :)

Best of luck x

janice1956

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Yaz2009

Sorry to hear your little one has the dreaded coeliac. I have it too and Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys now do quite a good range of wheat and gluten free products including biscuits unfortunately not much good to me as I'm also diabetic. Be careful to read labels on foods as sometimes they don't always say gluten free. You will need to look for things like starches and thickeners as these are usually gluten. Watch burgers and sausages as these contain gluten but you can get the gluten free variety if you want them. There are lots of websites with free recipes etc. just type in gluten free recipes. The flour you can get is very different from normal flour and because its gluten free if you try making pastry its not stretchy like normal pastry so roll it on greaseproof paper or you wont be able to lift it without it ripping. You can use normal cake recipes (using GF flour) but you do need to practice to find the right amount of liquid to add (usually you need to add more liquid than normal) this flour soaks up a lot of liquid. When pastry is cooked it is Ok but do not overcook or it is very hard. Tesco etc also do pizza's, pies and allsorts. Once you get the hang of it its not too bad. If you make a mistake you will know as the horrid symptoms will return. Keep a food diary to help you find out where mistakes are made. Just a thought when he goes to school make sure none of his friend give him anything that might upset him. When I was diagnosed over 15 years ago there was nothing in the shops for people like me but now there is quite a good selection. He will soon learn to like the gluten free products as they will make him feel so much better.

Good luck. x

Last edited by a moderator:

DublinMom

Hi Yaz 2009,

My son is age 8, type 1 & also celiac so I feel your pain to be honest I found this so difficult at the beginning. We are now 1 & 1/2 years diagnosed with celiac disease and yes it's tough but manageable. I am in Ireland but I'm sure u can get all in uk I can get here. Breakfast cereals are great and I buy a few boxes when I find them. Tesco is great for gluten free also Aldi & lidl have small sections available. You can also buy mixes to bake bread etc. We find BFree wraps, kelkin rice bars, Juvenal crackers good for snacks. Yes you will find sugar in a lot of products but if you are carb counting you can try counteract this. Remember that once he starts on gluten free food insulin is absorbed quicker so u may see unexplained lows. Our dietician is great for tips etc. Walkers crisps & telco ramge are all gluten free also some McCain oven chips & Aldi crinkle cut oven chips. Dinners can be difficult but my local butchers is great he will do gluten free sauces for me as most sauces have flour. Also goodfellas have a gluten free pizza & McCains have gluten free chicken gugons out now. We are on a pump which is great because if he eats Nairns biscuits we bolus straight away try & push for a pump your son is so young it would really benefit him. Sorry for long message if you have any questions please feel free to ask me.
Hope this helps