So pleased to find this site!

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Joined this site yesterday, as I felt pretty down about my husband's health and I'm really pleased by the response, very useful advice. My husband's had type 2 diabetes for almost 20 years now this is further complicated by chronic heart failure which he's had for 5 years. The CHF has become progressively worse over that time and I'm sure having his sugar levels up and down don't help. So big thanks to those who helped with very useful information. Will definitely keep checking in to this site.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to the forum, hope you benefit and enjoy it. I also have a good number of heart problems, have done now for almost 26 years.
Hope you are able to improve the stability of your BGs soon and enjoy better all round health. You have come to a great place. Best wishes for a very fruitful stay.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also have CHF and a few years ago offered end of life care .. Then at the start of 2014 I was told I had T2 diabetes ... So with nothing to loose the wife started me on the low carb high fat diet .... And wow .. I feel ten years younger .. Lost 5st and a few more to go ... Feeling brilliant.. Can take the dog for walks again ...
My cholesterol is so low now I am stopping the statins .. My blood pressure is normal ! First time in many years ... All I can say to you and your husband is .. Don't feel like it's too late to change things .. I did and the wife put her foot down .. Best thing I ever did .. Hope your husband starts to feel better soon.
It took a lot to accept the medicinal advice I had been following was wrong ... But pleased I did:happy:

Reactions: 11 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I also have CHF and a few years ago offered end of life care .. Then at the start of 2014 I was told I had T2 diabetes ... So with nothing to loose the wife started me on the low carb high fat diet .... And wow .. I feel ten years younger .. Lost 5st and a few more to go ... Feeling brilliant.. Can take the dog for walks again ...
My cholesterol is so low now I am stopping the statins .. My blood pressure is normal ! First time in many years ... All I can say to you and your husband is .. Don't feel like it's too late to change things .. I did and the wife put her foot down .. Best thing I ever did .. Hope your husband starts to feel better soon.
It took a lot to accept the medicinal advice I had been following was wrong ... But pleased I did:happy:

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Thanks this is so encouraging and I'm determined to try a low carb diet from now on, thanks

Reactions: 2 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Thanks this is so encouraging and I'm determined to try a low carb diet from now on, thanks

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Joined this site yesterday, as I felt pretty down about my husband's health and I'm really pleased by the response, very useful advice. My husband's had type 2 diabetes for almost 20 years now this is further complicated by chronic heart failure which he's had for 5 years. The CHF has become progressively worse over that time and I'm sure having his sugar levels up and down don't help. So big thanks to those who helped with very useful information. Will definitely keep checking in to this site.
Hi timerich, and welcome! This site is literally a game changer the info shared here is lifesaving , glad your here

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When the wife first started my new LCHF diet she threw out ALL my lovely low fat foods and replaced them with full fat ones ! Must admit it was frightening for me as the heart side of things say low fat ... But I was so unwell I just thought ok nothing to loose. Then I lost all my comfort foods ..bread, potatoes,rice, pasta and Cake .... We are vegetarians so the wife became super creative in getting my meals to look good and taste good ... I think I have around 30g of carbs most days .. Sometimes more .. Not feeling hungry all the time like I did when I had to follow a calorie controlled diet ..
All I can say it has worked for me ... And I hope it works for you .. Is your husband in the zipper club .. Had my bypass op 23 years ago !

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd agree with others, Low Carb Higher Fat is the way forward, I'd imagine he's been following the Nhs advice up to now?.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Timerich and welcome to the forum!

I know I have struggled with my own diagnosis, so I have never really considered how it must be affecting my husband- I am sure he worries too. Even though he rarely mentions it, he supports me and considers my diet when in the kitchen. It sounds like your husband is a lucky man to have such a thoughtful and caring wife.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Hello Timerich and welcome to the forum!

I know I have struggled with my own diagnosis, so I have never really considered how it must be affecting my husband- I am sure he worries too. Even though he rarely mentions it, he supports me and considers my diet when in the kitchen. It sounds like your husband is a lucky man to have such a thoughtful and caring wife.

Thanks for that, I'm reading about the LCHF diet and considering moving us to this, just wondered if you've tried it? :)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome Timerich! As above, have a good read around here and keep asking questions. I know for a fact that had I not found this wonderful forum I would have really struggled when diagnosed last June, within two days I had learnt do much here and began lchf which has given me fantastic results- all applauded by my GP and nurse- even though they still dish out the standard nhs advice, which I know and have proved wouldn't have done anything for me!!

Reactions: 4 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
So hoping this works for my husband, feel pretty nervous as he has chronic heart failure too...and for years we've been told fats are a no no. So this is definitely a leap in faith. :)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After years of thinking low fat it took me by surprise that I could have cream, cheese etc but in reality it's back to how we used to eat decades ago, real butter etc and I'm sure we were healthier then! ! All I've had to deal with is the type 2, heart failure must complicate things enormously!

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, I'm reading about the LCHF diet and considering moving us to this, just wondered if you've tried it? :)

I was diagnosed at the very end of November and it took me a while to find this site. So, while I reduced my carbs in the beginning, I am still in the "figuring it out stage" of how low to take my carbs to manage my BS and how to balance my fats.

I think it is something that you could do with your husband, though. You will just have to play with the numbers to see where you need to be to lose (if any) or maintain. My husband has certainly been inspired by my weight loss and change in energy levels, so while he isn't diabetic and only has a few pounds to lose, he sees the benefit in minimizing carbs. He has a terrible Mountain Dew addiction that he knows will bite him in the rear if he doesn't do something to change it. In the meantime, all five of us are eating protein, healthy fats, and veggies at a meal and I skip the starch, if it is served.

Look forward to seeing more of you around here!

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Beginning tomorrow thinking of lowering the carbs to 130 to begin with and see how it goes. So cooked breakfast, tuna and mayo on a pitta bread, then chicken with cauliflower cheese...sounds like a plan.