So scared of having Hypos

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My current tablet Metformin is just not working.
I am having to start a new tablet that I understand can give you hypos.
I have a huge fear of this happening. Can't quite remember the name of the new tablet but I think it is Gliclazide.
Does anyone else have the same worry ?

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think every diabetic doesn't like to have hypos and it makes us nervous about the thought of getting one... so you're not alone there. You can only do your best to avoid them. So to do that just keep regularly monitoring your BGLs, and if you eat carbs make sure they're complex/low GI options so you get that stable BGL result. Yes, you can get hypos on any diabetic medication really... I got my first one on metformin only. I then started getting more of them when I was put on other oral meds like gliclazide. I'm on insulin now and I've probably had the most hypos since being on insulin. Just make sure firstly you know what hypo symptoms are, then get to know your personal hypo symptoms (you get to learn that with experience as it varies from person to person). Have a hypo kit handy which should include quick acting carb and long acting ones at all times. I place mini hypo kits everywhere pretty much... in my car, by my bed, on my desk at work, in my handbag, etc. Always keep a spare meter too and batteries. I'm sure you'll be right. It will take a bit to get used to the new med, but you will soon learn how it affects you.

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Busy,

I was terrified of having a hypo when I found I needed insulin.

Having my first hypo (got down to 3.3) was quite scary as I shook quite badly so testing was difficult. I ate 3 or 4 jelly babies to help and tested after 10 minutes. My levels weren't rising fast enough so ate the full bag (I'm sure it was a 250g bag).
My levels shot right up to 18 because I panicked.

I'm not so scared any more as I do feel the onset - usually about the 3.8 mark and I no longer panic as its happening.

Hopefully you'll know in your own body how it makes you feel and you'll be on the lookout for the symptoms.

I would add that as long as you're testing, hopefully you'll be prepared for it if it were to happen.

SRO

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
My current tablet Metformin is just not working.
I am having to start a new tablet that I understand can give you hypos.
I have a huge fear of this happening. Can't quite remember the name of the new tablet but I think it is Gliclazide.
Does anyone else have the same worry ?
hi @Busy1 I am taking gliclazide along with metformin and although I have suffered a few hypos I don't think its down to the gliclazide as I have a very active job that includes a lot of walking .
I take half gliclazide in the morning and a metformin mid morning and after evening meal and my diabetes nurse thinks will be increasing my gliclazide to include one in the evening to help with my sleeping problems caused by my liver dumps .
although I can only advice what I have experienced on these meds I hope this has helped with your concerns and has helped ease your fears

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I did a quick look round earlier for threads on " false hypos " and I wonder if that is what I'm experiencing.
Today I thought I'd better give the grass its first cut of the season as Bank Holiday rain is expected. (I blame @Dutchgardener for putting the idea in my head). I then gave one veg patch a bit of a dig, before starting to feel a bit empty and weak. I stopped and went in to check my BS. By now my hands were shaking which made this tricky. I was 5.6, which is where I have felt "low" symptoms before. (I'm newly diagnosed and running about 8's).
I read somewhere that because I'm on Metformin and T2, I CAN'T have hypos. Can anyone tell me the truth of this?
Postscript: I did nothing other than to drink water and rest. Within 20 minutes I felt (and have continued to feel) fine.

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
I did a quick look round earlier for threads on " false hypos " and I wonder if that is what I'm experiencing.
Today I thought I'd better give the grass its first cut of the season as Bank Holiday rain is expected. (I blame @Dutchgardener for putting the idea in my head). I then gave one veg patch a bit of a dig, before starting to feel a bit empty and weak. I stopped and went in to check my BS. By now my hands were shaking which made this tricky. I was 5.6, which is where I have felt "low" symptoms before. (I'm newly diagnosed and running about 8's).
I read somewhere that because I'm on Metformin and T2, I CAN'T have hypos. Can anyone tell me the truth of this?
Postscript: I did nothing other than to drink water and rest. Within 20 minutes I felt (and have continued to feel) fine.
It is possible for a t2 to suffer hypos it sounds like you my have had what is called a false hypo its just your body telling you it needs to rest and or needs nurishment .
The main symtons of a hypo is feeling light headed , cold sweats , blured vision and the feeling like your going to pass out a true hypo begins at levels below 4 but any levels around 2.5 are clased as dangerous levels .
hope this helps

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My endo explained there is no such thing as a false hypo because I remember asking him about it after reading the term on forums like this. He's explained it more than once to me just to assure me how serious hypo's are and they must be treated. He said that if you are reacting at all with hypo symptoms it is not to be ignored and treatment is required You're not allowed to drive, etc. if you are experiencing hypo symptoms. He explained our bodies do not react for nothing. I hypo anywhere under 5. I've since learnt that the hypo starts for me when my sugar is dropping fast. So if I'm 4.7 one minute and if I was to think that's not hypo level, then 10 minutes later I'd be sitting in the 3's.... but of course my body was already starting to warn me at 4.7. So it is serious when you start to experience hypos and never ignore what your body is telling you. Also my endo explained that everyone has a different 'safe' number... he explained that is the lowest number you can be without starting to hypo because your BGL's are dropping fast. For me that is 5... if I go below that I'm at high risk of hypo symptoms. He said the aim is to keep your BGLs above your safe number. And for anyone who tells me I can't hypo as a type 2 (plenty have said that and I just face palm)... I certainly do and they're all serious. The lowest I've been on my meter is 2.1... but I've missed some of my hypos so I've probably been even lower. I notice the lower I am the longer it takes me to recover.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Thanks for both replies @eldergarth and @Mep. Your views accurately reflect the confusion I've encountered so far. I went down the garden straight after lunch (which was low-carb), and worked for an hour. I would have expected to be "working off" my lunch.
@Busy1 can I ask how long you tried Metformin before getting it swapped over?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
oh one very important thing I forgot to mention.... my endo said that by the time you experience your first hypo symptom, you have already lost your judgment. He said your judgment is the first thing to be affected and the last thing to return when you recover from a hypo. I thought I was smart one day and jumped in my car and drove home 10 mins after treating my hypo as I felt I was starting to feel ok. I told him about that and asked why was I feeling ok then? He said I may have thought I was ok, but he said in fact it takes a minimum of half an hour for your judgment to return... so wait minimum of half an hour before you drive or do anything else that may be risky. I definitely proved his point as it was bad judgment for me to think I could drive... especially when I should've waited minimum of 15 mins to check my sugar again. Thankfully I only drove down 2 streets to reach my destination and got there in one piece. My endo trains other docs to become endo's. He's one of our best where I live.

Last edited by a moderator: