Social drinking

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type2 and on Metformin and generally as a result of low carbing have my BS under control.

Have virtually eliminated most alcoholic drinks from my diet except for an occasional glass of wine. A couple of times however when on holiday I have found it difficult to join in with friends when social drinking particularly in the evenings when in bars or restaurants.

I feel out of place drinking water or even diet coke. What do you drink?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'm a fellow low carber and when I occasionally go out I choose spirits with diet mixers such as Vodka and diet lemonade or Jack daniels and diet coke and they're virtually zero carb and don't muck up my levels or daily carb allowance. :D

julie54

Hi - I am also low carbing, and like to be able to have a drink socially occasionally!! I used to drink lager - now a definite no no - but now drink either vodka or gin with diet tonic and am fine with this in terms of levels etc. Enjoy!! Julie

jojoann

Hi.
When I go out for a drink with friends, I stick to clear spirits such as gin, vodka. Or bacardi.
All with slim line tonic or slim line bitter lemon. Ice and slice , tastes great.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Madbazoo, I have recently given up artificial sweeteners and so I now drink shorts ie vodka, brandy, gin etc with Soda Water with a slice of lemon instead of diet tonic, which I now find to be too sweet. It took a little getting used to but I prefer it now. I can also drink them with just water as a mixer as when I go to Malta they usually don't sell slimline tonic in the bars

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for all your ideas. I avoided barcadi as I thought it was distilled from sugar but other spirits are good ideas. Been on a cruise and had a real problem finding diet versions of mixers other than cola. Might try the soda water idea.