Some advice from the wise required re testing

Finzi

Briefly, I'm an overweight (very overweight) "classic" type 2, was diagnosed in January 2013, and started low carbing straight away. Have lost 20kg so far, and blood sugar wise I am, I think, doing very well - HbA1C of 8 (64 new money -> 11mmol) at diagnosis. Have not had a repeat yet, but my average pre meal is now around 5.0 and two hours post meal between 5.5 and 6.0. And my post meal seems to vary very little even if I do have something I shouldn't (eg I had a white bread roll with my BBQ last night - post prandial, 5.5). So far so good, and I'm really pleased. However, I'm starting to feel its a bit pointless doing all the testing if I know that it's going to be under 6 at two hours regardless.

What would be a better testing regime (I get 50 strips a month on prescription and I also buy 50 a month - so I'm not totally unlimited). I used to always do a waking one, because that was the slowest to come down, but now that is always about 5.2 as well, so I'm thinking ditch that one. Would it be sensible to test at 1.5 hours *and* two hours (to make sure it's come down). When is sugar likely to be at its very highest? Cos really that's when I should test, I guess. But I think I'll want to do two hour ones as well, otherwise it's going to look on my graphs that I've just suddenly got a lot worse lol.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

Vern

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi Finzi!

Well, you certainly do know your numbers! I used to test obsessively but now do a fasting BG and 1 2hr test a day. So I choose either lunch or supper to do the Post Prandial Test. This is more than sufficient. Your HbA1c is based on an average reading over 3 months so even you can work out what approx your next test will read. I did find it useful in the beginning to do a 2am test but have not done that in months now. I too also lost 20kgs, am now normal BMI of 20 and my last Hb test was 5.7. Key here for me was Low Carb at under 40g a day. Hope that this helps?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Now you are into a good region of results (well done!) I think you need to back off testing so much. Yes, I would ditch the morning test as it can always be affected by overnight liver dumps so isn't of that much value. I wouldn't test every day but test 2 hours after a main meal on some days where you want to see what food affects you. Your next HBa1C is much more important and will tell you how you have done overall. The after meal 2 hour point can be affected by all sorts of things such as fat mixed with carb which will delay absorption and so on. You know that your low-carbing has had the desired effect in weight and sugar reduction so be guided by the next HBA1C.