Some advice please (after effects of hyper episode)

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, i was diagnosed Type 1 last tuesday, was taken to hospital my sugars were 26mmol.
In a&e i was tachycardic, my heart was between 130 - 170 for approx 3 hours, i was also severely dehydrated.
Since tuesday when it all began, i've felt very unwell in myself, my vision is off, i keep having dizzy spells coming over me and i'm still thirsty alot (despite drinking lots and my numbers aren't too high, well they aren't ideal but generally under 11.

I've spoken to my GP, 3 DSN's about this and they all said its normal, i've booked an eye test on wednesday too.
Did anyone else experience this? Feeling really rough, vision rubbish and dizziness for a week after numbers being so high?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hellbunny said:
Hi everyone, i was diagnosed Type 1 last tuesday, was taken to hospital my sugars were 26mmol.
In a&e i was tachycardic, my heart was between 130 - 170 for approx 3 hours, i was also severely dehydrated.
Since tuesday when it all began, i've felt very unwell in myself, my vision is off, i keep having dizzy spells coming over me and i'm still thirsty alot (despite drinking lots and my numbers aren't too high, well they aren't ideal but generally under 11.

I've spoken to my GP, 3 DSN's about this and they all said its normal, i've booked an eye test on wednesday too.
Did anyone else experience this? Feeling really rough, vision rubbish and dizziness for a week after numbers being so high?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with diabetes and your DKA.
Things will improve so don't panic. Your numbers are doing just fine and will soon come down to a normal range with a bit of tweaking.
Eyes..... yes this is normal. So please don't have your eyes tested as it will be a waste of time. Once your blood sugars have gone back to normal and things settle down you will find after a week or two your eyes will be fine. :) The blured vision is caused by high blood sugars, so no prescription can be issued for this problem. So your GP and 3 DSN's are correct :thumbup:

Perhaps when things are back to normal book a test in a couple of months then at least this will put your mind at rest.
The rest of the rubish feelings etc yep all to do with diagnoses and high numbers. Take it easy and let your body recover from it's near death experience. Time is a good healer.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for the reassurance, i registered with my opticians today and they did say to come back in a month for another eye test. i do think part of the vision problem is due to tiredness, i feel exhausted, i've never known tiredness like it :| but again i was just getting over the chickenpox virus so i'm guessing i'm still recovering from that also, and then the diabetes.
Thanks again,

Sarah