some advice would be great

mike300369

Hi ,

I have been on insulin since January this year. Have been coping i feel fairly admirably with the changes but am still finding the diet side a minefield...

A little background on me and my symptoms etc

i am 39 , am a type 2 diabetic on insulin, my weight isnt an issue i am 5 foot 10 and way ten and half stone and in no means can be described as over weight..I live on my own and cook my meals myself , because of my "hectic" life i often find my self eating prepared food rather than home cooked . I need some advice really on simple healthy foods. Seem to get lost with different advice , even here, being type 2 yet not overweight etc and just under the normal age group of a type 2 ...

mike

mike300369

Hi

Thank you for replying.. i have been diagonsed as type 2, admittedly i was told i was a bit of an oddity, my age and weight wouldnot typical of either type 1 or type 2. Iam on Humalog with my meals and Lantus Solstar as a background insulin. Yes i do , and have from time to time . . Do you follow a Carb count diet yourself, if so how do you get on with it...

thanks again

mike

SarahQ said:
mike300369 said:
Hi ,

I have been on insulin since January this year. Have been coping i feel fairly admirably with the changes but am still finding the diet side a minefield...

A little background on me and my symptoms etc

i am 39 , am a type 2 diabetic on insulin, my weight isnt an issue i am 5 foot 10 and way ten and half stone and in no means can be described as over weight..I live on my own and cook my meals myself , because of my "hectic" life i often find my self eating prepared food rather than home cooked . I need some advice really on simple healthy foods. Seem to get lost with different advice , even here, being type 2 yet not overweight etc and just under the normal age group of a type 2 ...

mike

Hi Mike, are you sure you are type 2? Were any tests done to prove a type 2 diagnoses?
Have you a freezer Mike? If so well worth making double portions and freezing the other 1/2 this way it's quick and easy to feed yourself when in a hurry.
Have you managed to get your blood sugar under control? and what insulin do you use?
Some of the ready meals are very good. Just make sure you look at them for carb content.
I use them if I am having a bad day and can not stand long enough to cook a meal.
S.

mike300369

I had a mini stroke last august (no lasting damage ) but the outcome of subsequent consultations with a Diabetes Consultant / Blood Pressure Consultant was i had Diabetes. First they tried tablets which weren't working , my levels were still going fairly high and was moved to injections in december , firstly at regularated intervals no background insulin, then switched to the background to allow me more freedom with eating times etc. How or where did you start with Carb Counting .. Of all things i dont want to lose weight , i am in no way over weight

mike

Katharine

I frequently end up eating my evening meal much later than I would really like and just want to fling something together.

So this is it:

A lump of meat /fish/ poultry (usually cooked but a blue steak or quickly cooked salmon is fine)
A lump of cheese ( usually smelly stuff eg brie de meaux, gorgonzola)
A bit of fruit/veg (eg a cox orange pippin or celery and cream cheese)
A glass of wine.

When you do cook, make enough so you can eat leftovers the next day.
A slow cooker can help too. You make it up in the evening, cook it overnight, and heat it up in the microwave when you get in. Lakeland Ltd do a small slow cooker suitable for 2-4 portions, unlike the ones in electical stores that are the size of footbaths.

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
I would die without my slow cooker, it is just genius. Admittdly its HUGE! but i freeze most of it in take away cartons.

then get it out in the morning and it's nearly defrosted by tea time. quick microwave and your done.

casserole's and stews are perfect and so easy. just throw everthing you think might be nice in, add stock and turn it on.