1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Some good T1 news on world diabetes day

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by kev-w, Nov 14, 2018.

1. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46198366

• Like Like x 3
  2. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Crikey a news article aimed solely at Type 1 diabetes. That’s a turning point in itself.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

It's good news if it actually means more T1s get the monitors. But there isn't any mention of additional funding to pay for the monitors, so it will still be up to local commissioning groups as to how they prioritise availability.

4. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

From what I understand, this doesn't mean Libre for all types 1s. It means that NHS England has taken the decision to override local CCGs, aiming mainly at those who have stated that Libre will not be available, and apply the Regional Medicines Optimisation Committee (RMOC) criteria across all CCGs in England and Wales.

This means that if your local area was already offering under RMOC, then you'll still have the same criteria. If it was more restricted than RMOC, then it will widen access, and if you are less restricted than RMOC, we're not sure.

For what it's worth, the RMOC criteria are:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. kev-w

'glucose monitors will be made available to tens of thousands more people with type 1 diabetes' can only be good news surely :) the RMOC guidelines alone do allow some leeway for individual negotiation in my opinion, depends on how you want to play out a recent loss of some hypo awareness ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Very carefully, if you're a driver.... ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

This was on the TV as well this morning had a chap on saying how good it was with a prefect Libre graph in the red all night and up to 13.7 on the program, guess the excitement or stress of the TV didn't help.

Mind you in the report the telling sentence "to those that meet the criteria...." so people may still have to jump through hoops to get one, especially if the CCG's are against it, only time will tell

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

The press release states "according to national criteria". Those are posted above. So there is clear guidance as to who can get it. And the process for getting it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kev-w

Right there is the way in, right there, test more and if you're testing 8 times a day then you meet the criteria, don't take no for an answer....

I'll have to edit that to say and if you're not testing around 8 x daily with finger sticks, why aren't you? more testing = better control, which is after all the point in the Libre....

• Like Like x 1
    #9 kev-w, Nov 14, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Type 1 diabetes in the news, well that's a nice surprise, I would think most people will be googling it now.
    I wont hold my breath as I was told in July I would be eligible to get CGM, then at my diabetes hospital appointment, 6 weeks later, It was .................... no, I didn't meet the criteria, so it's a wait and see.

• Hug Hug x 2
  11. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

CGM is different though.

1. It's not on tariff so is not available via prescription, only via an Individual Funding Request (which are few and far between and have strict NICE criteria).
    2. Libre is available on prescription as long as you can qualify for only one of the above criteria.

So you are significantly more likely to get Libre than CGM, and you can sway that decision in your own favour by testing more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kev-w

I just came back to edit my post about this and to ask why people wouldn't be testing this much anyway? The more we test the better our ability to manage the illness after all, I know it's a pita but I was testing 8 x + a day for as many years as I'd access to finger sticks :)

13. quintel

quintel Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’d love to test that much in a day, but I’m not able and I desperately want the libre because I’m not able to test that often so have no idea of my blood. I have 7 month old twins and since they were born my bloods have gone downhill because these two are so hard to manage and my levels are suffering , but I’m not allowed the libre I’ve been told

If only it were as simple to just test more

• Hug Hug x 1
  14. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You weren't allowed the Libre. As of today, the rules have just changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. marcus.hopkins

marcus.hopkins Type 2 · Newbie

Im a type 2 insulin user, will this be available to me?

16. squeezelouise400

squeezelouise400 Type 1 · Active Member

This has made my day. It would be good to see where my blood sugars are trending. Hope to be a recipient of a Freestyle Libre one day.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. kev-w

@tim2000s A T1 self funders question, how would they go about asking for the device on prescription would you know?

18. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Historically, the London guidelines suggested looking back at historic fingerprick data.

Right now I'd just show how frequently you scan and ask directly. They can only say no. If they do, then do more than 8 fingerpricks a day for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook