Some Guidance Please

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I started on the LCHF regime about a week ago but I only started to log my diet and results on Sunday so this is what i've got so far:

LCHF DIET LOG

SUNDAY 12TH JULY

Morning 7.9

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms

2 hours after 6.5

Lunch: Salmon Salad with Garlic and Onion Dressing

Snack: Greek Yogurt

2 hours after 6.1

Dinner: Pork chop, broccoli and cauliflower with a knob of butter

2 hours after 8.3

MONDAY 13TH JULY

Morning 7.4

Breakfast: Greek Yogurt and raspberries

Lunch: 2 hardboiled eggs, lettuce tomato onion and celery with mayo

2 hours after 7.3

Dinner: Smoked cod, broccoli and cauliflower: raspberries & cream

Bedtime: 6.8

TUESDAY 14th JULY

Morning 7.6

Breakfast: Greek Yogurt, sunflower seeds, a couple of raspberries

3 hours after: 7.0

Lunch: Omelette & salad

4 hours after: 6.1

Dinner: Chicken wrapped in bacon, broccoli & cauli

Bedtime: Only had 1 test strip left so saved it for this morning.

WEDNESDAY 15TH JULY

Morning: 8.0

That's it so far and I've run out of test strips til I go and get them this afternoon but what do you think? Am I on the right lines? Am I eating enough? I do feel a bit "swimmy" headed but otherwise not noticed anything to worry about. Disappointed with the 8.0 spike this morning as I can't see any reason for it. I have lost about 7lbs since I started which is good as I was 12st8 and now 12st1 but read that it's probably mostly water. I'm not doing too well with exercise as I am 71 and have a chronic back problem which makes even walking painful so I just potter around indoors doing housework and stuff but force myself out for a walk when I can.

I realise it's early days in terms of making a difference, of course. Just need to know if I should continue with what I'm doing or do I need to eat more/less or introduce anything that will help.

Any comments or suggestions please x

Ooops! Should mention T2 newly diagnosed and refusing to take Gliclicide for the time being.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent results and I am tempted to say to continue with what you are doing but I think you might get sick of broccoli and cauli before long.

Some experimentation might result in finding a wider variety and yet be low carb. For the meantime, however, brilliant.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooops! Should mention T2 newly diagnosed and refusing to take Gliclicide for the time being.

Not being medically qualified I am unable to comment on your medication or influence you in any way but if it's in brackets no-one else can hear (Good for you).

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent results and I am tempted to say to continue with what you are doing but I think you might get sick of broccoli and cauli before long.

Some experimentation might result in finding a wider variety and yet be low carb. For the meantime, however, brilliant.

Haha! You're right about the Broc & Cauli but my husband won't touch it so it tends to last a while.

Thank you for your encouraging words x

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not being medically qualified I am unable to comment on your medication or influence you in any way but if it's in brackets no-one else can hear (Good for you).

Did you say something? (whistling) .. lol.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right did you know .......tinned corned beef and tinned ham have virtually no carbs and go well with salad type veg and some coleslaw if you want. KFC is surprisingly low in carbs, particularly the originally recipe. I suggest a very few fries or none if you can manage it.

One favourite of mine is diced chicken breast, stir fry veg from Tesco, bit of salt (important) and Blue Dragon oyster and spring onion sauce.

I'm sure you can find lots more.

Not a lot of people know that.

http://www.nutrition-charts.com/kfc-nutrition-facts-calorie-information/

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, BS levels looking stable. Do you know what they were before you started LCHF diet? I eat cauliflower in a range of guises just about every day and not bored of it yet :0) My morning readings are nearly always the highest of the day so wouldn't worry too much about your reading this morning if it comes down during the day. You may want to increase your fat intake a bit. Do you like avocado or olives? Try adding to your salad if you don't do so already. Could also add some nuts to the salad or yoghurt. I too find it hard to motivate myself to do exercise but have a Wii Fit step platform which I use in front of the TV to try and do half an hour of stepping every other day. It makes you appreciate how long a programme EastEnders actually is!! Keep at it, you've done really well so far.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too find it hard to motivate myself to do exercise but have a Wii Fit step platform which I use in front of the TV to try and do half an hour of stepping every other day. It makes you appreciate how long a programme EastEnders actually is!! Keep at it, you've done really well so far.

Lol .........now that's made my day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all looks good to me. When you get more strips, try testing a meal immediately before you eat in addition to the 2 hours after. This will show you if the meal has caused too much of a rise. You can't judge this unless you know the before level.

Do you like tinned salmon? It is an easy option for a salad lunch and full of goodness. I am a bit of an addict. I have 3 or 4 of the very small tins a week and swear this is why my lipid profile is so good.

Well done. :)

Reactions: 8 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Well done you're certainly making an effort. Have you tried celeriac? I'd never eaten it before I started LCFF (I don't really do high fat) and now I'm hooked on it. Try it mashed or roasted instead of potatoes.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much for all your helpful replies xx So many useful hints and tips. Would never have known about the KFC but that chart is very useful. I know I have to expand my meal repetoire but I read great ideas but never seem to have all the ingredients or I go shopping and can't find them. I have got corned beef and tinned ham and I did eat a lot of tinned salmon before I started the diary. I do love it. I don't know what celeriac is but I will look out for it. I don't like avocado or olives but I do eat a few almonds occasionally.

My GP only gives me 50 test strips for the month. I have a general pill rewiew in a couple of weeks and I thought I'd ask for more but I'm worried that when he knows I'm not taking the Gliclizide he might refuse me any. I think I only got the meter because of the Glic possibly causing hypos. Obviously, even 50 won't be enough to do before and after testing so maybe I will have to get the one I've seen mentioned on here which has cheaper strips and just buy them for my own personal log.

I need to get more water down me too but I hate the stuff. I've seen somewhere that you can flavour it with real lemons sliced so will try that.

Thank you again and I do appreciate all the help xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I flavour my water with cucumber, lemon and a flavoured teabag!! Put it all in a big jug and in the fridge.