some questions...

dear low carbers

I am type 1 on levemir/novorapid and have been dabbling in low-er carbs. At the moment I like my fruit too much to be low, low carb! I would say a "low carb" day for me would be about 100 grams.

I have two main sticking points every time I try:

Number 1 is starch/sugar/junk cravings like CRAZY that I end up giving in to sooner or later in the form of huge starch/junk binges. I must be a starch addict big time, I just can't seem to control it :oops: So my question is - I'm sure I'm not the only one here who seems on a mission to cram as much starch as possible into my mouth - how have you successful low-carbers managed to get over this????

Number 2 is getting enough calories, especially for exercise. If I have a successful lowish carb day, even if I feel like I ate a lot, if I look at the calorie content of what I have had, it might be, say 1000-1300 calories and I'm kind of hungry but I don't want any more low carb stuff. I'm sure that's not enough calories as I exercise most days for 40mins-1hour and I would guess that may well be the cause of getting huge cravings for sugar/starch after a few "good days"...body needing more energy and FAST. So how do you people, especially active people, get the calories in???

I am vegetarian too, mainly vegan...but I'm not prepared to compromise on this!!! No way will I go back to eating meat/fish!

Any help greatly appreciated - thank you :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi curlyheadfreak,

some good questions there. The starch/sugar cravings will pass if you persevere. It could take a few weeks, maybe a month or two. For chocolate cheesecake, 'bout a year and a half. :wink: I think it's a symptom of a misfiring metabolism - our bodies haven't evolved to run on diets high in carbohydrates or glucose but like any other drug, they're highly addictive.

There shouldn't be a problem getting sufficient calories if you eat enough healthy fats with your protein and carb sources. I'm afraid I'm a lapsed vegetarian, but I exercise to a similar level to you and seem to be able to stick away 2500+ calories per day without a problem.

fergus

Spiral

I'm a vegetarian (eating eggs and dairy) and also have no intention of eating flesh or slaughterhouse products again. I'm also T2 rather than T1.

I have been lower carbing since about March. Since I cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes I have to say I have not had huge carb cravings - my crisp consumption I reduced to zero over about a month the only thing I'm having fantasies about is thick sliced white toast with lashings of butter and Marmite.

I say I'm lower carbing rather than low carb as there are a fair few carbs in some vegetables, and I'm finding out what makes me spike by testing. I don't seem to have a problem with pulses, thank goodness, I don't know what I'd do without hummus. I want to see how far I can go with lower carbing and I'm not counting carbs, simply reading the labels avoiding starchy carbs and looking at the ratio of carbohydrate to protien. I will make futher adjustments and become a bit more obsessivve if the weight loss tails off or if I can't get my blood sugar low enough.

The thing with feeling full is fat. I'm lower carbing with high fat and higher protien. It is the fat that makes you feel full. If you are low carb/low fat this might be your problem.

I'm eating far more cheese and eggs than I did pre-diagnosis and a lot more fat, yet the weight is falling away (I need to be about half the woman I was in January :? ) I wasn't eating a huge amount of fat before diagnosis and it wasn't unusual for me to be "vegan" for several days in a row. People have commented how much better my skin looks and I have more energy and I'm not so tired all the time and have not had so many headaches.

the diet I'm following is not the diet recommended by the NHS and low carb high fat is a bit heretical in some circles. It is working for me and I can see a reduction in my blood sugars from my testing.

As far as inspiration for food ideas go, I have acquired several books including "the Soy Zone" and Rose Elliot's low carb and low GI cookbooks. I have looked at lot of my other cookbooks through my low carb tinted spectacles and a lot of things I already eat can be adapted.

I need to make changes to my diet that I can live with for the rest of my life and at the same time be able to sit down and eat the same meal as my rapidly growing 12 year old son. We are eating a much more Mediterranean diet now and lots more fresh and raw. I can honestly say I'm eating better than I have for years and I don't feel deprived. If I'm obsessed with my next meal I'm not going to be able to stick with the program.

I'm hoping to add toast and Marmite to my diet soon, once the pan of my breadmaker has been replaced :cry: hopefully later this week. I have some low carb bread mix, which fergus sells. It has come highly recommended by other board members.

I have found Green and Blacks 70% chocolate hits a certain spot :D and I'm experimenting with the cheesecake :wink: I have found a lower carb chocolate cake mix with no added sugar or sweetener. Everyone needs junk once in a while, it is good for the soul.

But I'm enjoying double cream and greek strained yogurt with blueberries and strawberries and almonds, it makes a lovely dessert.