Some sick questions

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Shygirl

My non-diabetic OH has very slow digestion and always had this, it could be what is normal for you. It seems to be a genetic thing as my daughter has it as well.

Do you have your own blood pressure monitor? You can buy them reasonably cheaply http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/omron- ... itor-13610 - this one is £15.99, you could then keep an eye on your blood pressure.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Definitely worth buying your own BP monitor so you can check your BP at home, make sure if you do buy one that you get one with the upper-arm cuff and not a wrist, apparently the wrist type are less accurate.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
noblehead said:
Definitely worth buying your own BP monitor so you can check your BP at home, make sure if you do buy one that you get one with the upper-arm cuff and not a wrist, apparently the wrist type are less accurate.

+1

BUT

I have both and actually prefer the wrist cuff type as I find it more convenient and they are accurate providing you have your arm supported on a pillow or something so that your arm/wrist/cuff is at heart height, I usually sit at the dining table and rest my arm straight out on my camera bag which is conveniently the right height so my arm is supported on a level with my heart - hope that makes sense?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't suppose they'll be a great difference in the accuracy Sid, I was reading an article in Heart Matters (The British Heart Foundation magazine) and they were advising people to purchase a bp meter with the upper-arm cuff over the wrist type.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think the beauty of the upper arm cuff is that it will sit at the correct height, ie level with the heart when attached to the upper arm naturally which is probably why it is the recommended type whereas as I said earlier you have to physically rest your arm at heart height with the wrist cuff but provided that is done both should work equally well.

That said my wrist cuff does read slightly closer to that of the docs/hospitals readings so that the reason I use it in preference to the upper arm cuff, not because I think it is a better system :thumbup:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you on Metformin SR, the Slow Release version? If not ask your doc to change you to it as it may help with stomach problems. Sorry to hear of your problems and hope they get resolved.

WhitbyJet

Shy Girl, I am so sorry to hear of your problems.

I used to suffer from gastroparesis/delayed stomach emptying, all the typcial symptoms (google gastroparesis). But once I got my bg levels under control and managed to keep them nice and steady, the gastroparesis disappeared, thank heavens. Its a distressing condition, it makes you feel very ill and unattractive, I avoided people because I thought of myself as the most disgusting person ever.

Having food sitting around in the stomach, it begins to ferment, this can also be the cause of diarrhoea.
Delayed gastric emptying in itself doesnt cause high blood pressure, but the straining and vomiting and upset can raise your blood pressure.
Good advice investing in a blood pressure monitor, they arent expensive to buy.

You have had problems for such a long time now, I really do hope and pray that things get better for you, please dont hesitate to get in touch with me if you think that there is anything that I can do to help you, you have my email address already.
Big hug x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
ShyGirl said:
I was very ill yesterday from both ends and hope it's just the last of the vile , evil metformin (can you tell I hate the stuff?) leaving my body but i've some questions I hope someone can answer.

1) I know blood sugar levels drop when ill (sometimes) but is there a way to tell what my BP is doing as I think a lot of my eye damage is linked to my increasing BP. It's gone from normal to abnormal in just two years as my life has become stressful so i'm trying to hard to bring it down but sadly without much success.

The second question is quite yuk...

Over the last year i've vomited on-off and sometimes notice food coming out that I ate at least 30 hours before. I know this isn't normal and when I had an gastroscopy back in January I made sure I fasted longer than advised just in case.

Could I have a problem with gastric emptying? I'm not gong to see a doctor or nurse for a while and don't want to open canned worms atm as already dealing with a lot of issues without adding another one. Besides , my gastroscopy was the worst test i've had as I almost slapped nurse and on second attempt almost choked so if I ever need more stomach tests i'd like to build upto it...over a year or three knowing me.

Hi shygirl sorry to hear of your stomach problems :sick: nasty. Reading your second question about vomiting......... well, that is excatly what has happened to me in the past year, but since about Easter time it has been so bad and with other symptoms as well, especially the stomach pains and nausea. Did they give you a diagnosis of your gastroscopy in January or was it a negative result? Could it be an Ulcer or Coeliac disease? I am awaiting an endoscopy, but now it might be Coeliac disease ( just found out by accident :roll: ). I hope you are feeling better this weekend. Best wishes RRB

C

chris lowe

Hi Shygirl, Yes I've had problems with "both ends". When I went to the GP (admittedly she was doing her GP training) she said she had no idea what could cause the symptoms - I also get very shivery feelings as if I've got a bout of flu or something coming - but said she would ask one of the other GP's. To give her her due she did call me back and say no, he didn't have any ideas either (!!!) but called me in for some blood tests as I do have problems with anaemia which could be a cause. Upshot was that I am a bit anaemic but around the level that is "normal" for me. After that I did a bit of googling and came up with pancreatitis which is inflammation of the pancreas and has nausea, vomiting, tender tummy & fever among the symptoms and then goes away when the inflammation dies down. Fingers crossed I've not had an episode for about 6 weeks, so hopefully it's died down for now. I was given a prescription for something to reduce the amount of acid the stomach produces (Omeprazole) and that has reduced the amount of nausea I get.

I've always had slow emptying of the stomach which I found out when I was having tests some years ago and had to have a barium meal with follow through which should have meant an x ray every 20mins as the barium moved through the system but ended up every hour or so as it moved through so slowly, so I don't think it is that unusual, but it does cause it's own problems as the food goes through it builds up more gas and causes bloating which can be really uncomfortable and cause spasms in the bowel that can be uncomfortable.

As for the bp monitor, I use a wrist one from Boots, and took it along to the surgery with me to check how accurate it was compared to theirs, and it was pretty much spot on, so I suppose it's whatever you feel most comfortable with. I do hope you will be feeling better soon and can get your problems sorted out.

(Sid Bonkers - I hope that not a digital camera in that camera bag!)

tracbatn

Hi, I have been confirmed with type 2 for 2 weeks and saw the diabetic nurse last Friday evening, I was put on Metformin 500mg x 1 tab in the morning then after 2 week increase to 2 per day. I am 3 days in and feel dreadful, stomach craps, feeling really sick and nearly black diarrhoea, is this normal? How soon will this pass?

C

chris lowe

Which wrist monitor do you have? If I could find an accurate one then i'd be happy to use one. I just hate cuffs
ShyGirl

C

chris lowe

Oops, sorry submitted that before I'd finished!

The wrist monitor I've got says SYSmmHg on the front and on the side it just says Boots Blood Pressure Monitor. Best way to describe it is like a giant watch that goes around the wrist with a velcro strap and when you turn it on you can feel it tightening a bit then when it's finished it just deflates and gives you the reading. It's very simple to use and not in the least uncomfortable.

Chris