Something borrowed, something blue

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
My language may have been a little blue.
I now have a new GP, not something anyone with co-morbidities truly relishes. GP has asked for blood tests as it appears that I have been anaemic since early this year. Turns out that all appears to be as is, I am anaemic. We need to find out why. My diet is good, well balanced giving me great BM and A1c results, so we are now looking at other possible causes one of which is coeliac disease. I need another blood test but based on my LC diet may give erroneous results. I now need to eat gluten for a few days to ascertain valid results for a coeliac blood test. Bread, cakes to mention but two. Please, do not get jealous. This means my levels will all run high until my diet returns to normal.
No such thing as an easy, simple life with the Big D, is there ?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wishing you the best of luck Alan and hope all works out well.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Hi , Alan hope a cause is found , I have suffered from anaemia, for years ....a bit on and off at times , no,real answer found yet ...so I have a certain amount of iron everyday .....I know mine maybe due to some heredity problems ...
I wish you all the best in finding the cause ....not easy this one ....
Did you have any idea yourself ...
Or was it a complete shock ...I am guessing the shock ....
Take care ..Kat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Best of luck Alan. I hope everything works out for you.

One thing to remember with anaemia is that it can make HbA1c tests inaccurate due to insufficient or too large haemoglobin. Worth checking on this.

Reactions: 6 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
THX folks for the support - much appreciated. I reckon, just a feeling, that a true determination may not be made and it will be put down to "one of those things" that people with diabetes can expect. I have further tests coming up; coeliac next week once I have my gluten back to normal (LCHF et al) and heart and lungs in November. But let just wait and see, impatient soul that I am.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Best of luck Alan. I hope everything works out for you.

One thing to remember with anaemia is that it can make HbA1c tests inaccurate due to insufficient or too large haemoglobin. Worth checking on this.

Yes, I had to have a fructosamine test to confirm the HbA1c when I was anaemic.

Smidge