Something with extremely slow release carbs....

justjay

Hi all I need some ideas. I desperately need something small ish that will fit in pockets that I can eat and will release carbs slowly for while I'm at work. I usually have to set a temp basal rate (pump user) of - 70% but am having to do less still and still dropping. It's really active my job and can't always just stop. Any idea? Preferably something from a shop rather than online if poss

leggott

Re: Something with extremely slow release carbs....

you can buy these breakfast style biscuits that are supposed to release over 4 hours. I think they are called ' Brivita'. Would fit in your pocket but may get a bit bashed up.

justjay

leggott said:
you can buy these breakfast style biscuits that are supposed to release over 4 hours. I think they are called ' Brivita'. Would fit in your pocket but may get a bit bashed up.

Ah yes I think I saw them earlier in tesco, belvita? Typical I was walking out so didn't get any this time. I bought some "sport supplement" flapjacks which are slow release energy apparently, although not tried them yet.

29woodlands

My normal breakfast of porridge and a slice of Burgen toast lunch plain brown bread sandwich and a salad at tea time gives me excellent sugar levels .If I alter this to Bacon and egg slice of toast at breakfast and a portion of a tinned soup the tea time before dinner reading rockets what causes this as I would not have expected much sugar on this diet.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Geocacher

I find ryvita useful for topping up with slow release carbs when I'm out walking. They are OK on their own, low in sugar, and survive well in ziploc bag in a jacket pocket.

Add a few slices of cheddar cheese and/or a few slices of good salami and they make a passable and reasonaably low carb lunch that will survive a few hours without refrigeration.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I don't believe in slow carbs. Having experimented with breaking down starch in the lab , many times, I know it tends to go pretty fast. You can slow carb digestion by adding fats to the mix. thus a piece of chocolate would probably go quite slowly. Also something like a buttery croissant.
I doubt if any commercially made product calling itelf "Slow release carb" and being low in fat would actually work very well.
It might be worth making some nutty flapjacks with butter in them.
Hana

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort

29woodlands said:
a portion of a tinned soup the tea time before dinner reading rockets what causes this as I would not have expected much sugar on this diet.

tinned soup !

justjay

Thanks for the replies, I've slowly started to suss it out. Flapjacks, or similar. Having something like that every 1-1.5 hrs seems to be doing the trick nicely!

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I recommend quaker oat-so-simple morning bars, link - http://quaker.co.uk/products/morning-bars. They're of a decent size (35g) containing oats and high fibre they should help keep levels up for a little longer. I don't really approve of all these breakfast biscuits, they all contain lots of sugar and little fibre. Sports flapjacks are a good alternative, especially if you're particularly active as they should contain a mix of slow and fast acting carbohydrates.

I have a cereal bar website that might help pick out the good from the bad cereal bars. Its in my signature.

justjay

adrian29459 said:
I recommend quaker oat-so-simple morning bars, link - http://quaker.co.uk/products/morning-bars. They're of a decent size (35g) containing oats and high fibre they should help keep levels up for a little longer. I don't really approve of all these breakfast biscuits, they all contain lots of sugar and little fibre. Sports flapjacks are a good alternative, especially if you're particularly active as they should contain a mix of slow and fast acting carbohydrates.

I have a cereal bar website that might help pick out the good from the bad cereal bars. Its in my signature.

Thanks for the reply, I've now found a way! I eat those nature valley bar things and also tried the sports type flapjacks, those along reduced basal rates seems to have done the trick!

Phoebecliff said:
I find bananas are great for long shifts at work

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

It's definitely something for me to bear in mind, cheers. Just carrying them is the problem for me lol

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.

Cereal bars, tracker bars ect. Slow release carbs and good carbs. Xxxxxxx

DD33

Hi, I have a very physical job and need carbs throughout the day. I nibble at Rough Scottish Oat Cakes from Aldi. They're only about 70p (far less than major supermarkets) for a box of 5 packets. Unlike the Brivita as suggested below, theres no added sugar; in fact, there's very little in them. I find they don't elevate my BG levels quickly, and feel happy by not putting added sugar in me. They may crumble if left in your pocket, but I keep them in my shirt top pocket; Perfect.
Ingredients:
Oatmeal, Vegetable Oil(Sunflower, Palm) Salt, Raising Agent, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate. No Artifical anything or preservatives.
Nutrion Info:
6.4g Carbs of which 0.1g is sugar per oatcake.

And NO, I don't work for Aldi of the OatCake Tourist Board :))

Good Luck
D

justjay

kezz01489 said:
Cereal bars, tracker bars ect. Slow release carbs and good carbs. Xxxxxxx

Interesting to hear they are good carbs, can't say I know any difference which is probably a bit naughty!

DD33 said:
Hi, I have a very physical job and need carbs throughout the day. I nibble at Rough Scottish Oat Cakes from Aldi. They're only about 70p (far less than major supermarkets) for a box of 5 packets. Unlike the Brivita as suggested below, theres no added sugar; in fact, there's very little in them. I find they don't elevate my BG levels quickly, and feel happy by not putting added sugar in me. They may crumble if left in your pocket, but I keep them in my shirt top pocket; Perfect.
Ingredients:
Oatmeal, Vegetable Oil(Sunflower, Palm) Salt, Raising Agent, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate. No Artifical anything or preservatives.
Nutrion Info:
6.4g Carbs of which 0.1g is sugar per oatcake.

And NO, I don't work for Aldi of the OatCake Tourist Board :))

Good Luck
D

Thanks for the info, I might have to have a look next time I'm near one.

And even if you do work for them, I could be sold on them :grin: