Sore foot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
For the past few months I have been experiencing pain underneath my foot, the heel. Last night I was curled up on the sofa, watching TV and I still had pain. I never wear high heels, it's trainers, canvas shoes on dry warmer days, today ankle boots.
I do a lot of walking and in the jobs I do, I carry shopping and pulling along trolleys etc, so a lot of weight bearing exercise and I have always been an active person. ( as I am typing this I can feel it throbbing ) sometimes I lift my foot up to walk on tiptoes, because it is so tender.
Any hints on getting some comfort would be appreciated or has anyone else had something like this ?

Many thanks for your help, RRB:)

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you got a corn growing? Can you actually see the sore spot and is it sore to touch or only when you push it. Maybe you should visit your GP as we don't want you getting worse. Other than those words of non-wisdom I can't really help.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No experience RRB but its probably best that you get your foot looked at by your gp or podiatrist, as you know we have to be very careful when it comes to looking after our feet. Good luck.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I'd get the nurse to have a look as quickly as possible, the diabetic one that is. It could be neuropathy but honestly it could just be work. My feet always have a dull ache the night after work. Everyone talks about those sketcher shoe things when it comes to comfort? They are rather pricey and my feet are too wide for them but they might be an option.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'd get the nurse to have a look as quickly as possible, the diabetic one that is. It could be neuropathy but honestly it could just be work. My feet always have a dull ache the night after work. Everyone talks about those sketcher shoe things when it comes to comfort? They are rather pricey and my feet are too wide for them but they might be an option.

Hi and thanks for your reply.:) I typed in my symptoms on Google and I think I found what it is.The underside of right foot is warm to touch and a bit puffy, thicker and spongy too. I was walking this afternoon and it did hurt and it's tender too, lifting it off the floor now.

Understanding Plantar Fasciitis -- the Basics
In this article

Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the thick, fibrous band of tissue (''fascia'') that reaches from the heel to the toes, supporting the muscles and arch of the foot. When the plantar fascia is overly stretched, tiny tears can occur in its surface, causing inflammation and pain. While some people have attributed this type of pain to bony growths called heel spurs, it's now believed that heel spurs are a result of rather than a cause of the pain from plantar fasciitis.

understanding_plantar_fasciitis_basics_Plantar_Fasciitis.jpg

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch that sounds so painful, it might be best to get it looked at , if you can't get to see someone soon how about some memory foam insoles for your shoes they might help,

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ouch that sounds so painful, it might be best to get it looked at , if you can't get to see someone soon how about some memory foam insoles for your shoes they might help,

Thanks sd, I will have a look for them.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my son got his from Amazon, can't ask as he's out tonight, will ask him tomorrow and report back, till then foot up and chill.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For the past few months I have been experiencing pain underneath my foot, the heel. Last night I was curled up on the sofa, watching TV and I still had pain. I never wear high heels, it's trainers, canvas shoes on dry warmer days, today ankle boots.
I do a lot of walking and in the jobs I do, I carry shopping and pulling along trolleys etc, so a lot of weight bearing exercise and I have always been an active person. ( as I am typing this I can feel it throbbing ) sometimes I lift my foot up to walk on tiptoes, because it is so tender.
Any hints on getting some comfort would be appreciated or has anyone else had something like this ?

Many thanks for your help, RRB:)
Ask your GP for an ultrasound scan as a first step - this shows inflammation etc. I have had heel pain for about 10 years, for a number of reasons, including achilles tendonitis , and, for a while, plantar fasciitis, none of the causes are related to diabetes in my case. There may be lots you can do, and exercises you may be given, but correct diagnosis is important first. Hope things sort out.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's extremely painful. Do see a podiatrist and/or physiotherapist about it. You may need help and advice on shoes and insoles.

What worked for me, apart from good shoes, was different stretching exercises. I was prescribed a high dose of Naproxen or something like that to curb the actual inflammation. It took a while to be completely rid of it and I still do the stretching because it feels good.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I walked 6 hours a day 5 days a week on a concrete floor for 3 years, but was much younger then. I never thought I'd feel my toes again, but feeling did return after I left the job. Could not have done it without good quality insoles - (mass produced but designed by a podiatrist).

This won't solve your problem of course, but a natural anti-inflammatory I take is Meriva, which is made from the spice turmeric. I believe it was developed in Italy. I take 500 mg with breakfast to calm down the my inflammation, which I'm hoping is temporary. Maintaining adequate vitamin D levels is important too for managing chronic inflammation. I know others who take Meriva up to 2,000 mg a day, but in divided doses.

I know you'll get this sorted out Robinredbreast. You've already found some helpful information, but chronic pain is difficult. Sorry you're going through this.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plantar fasciitis is awful. I've had it variously.
As a pain preventative, orthotic insoles, or shoes with arch support work well.

However, there is a splendid pilates exercise which did wonders for me. I have been pain free for 2 years now, after about 6 years of pain.

Exercise 1:
Stand an arms length away from a wall. Reach out and place your hands against the wall at chest height. Keeping your heels flat on the floor, lean your entire body towards the wall, legs and back kept straight.
You should feel a gentle pull in the back of your calves.
Hold position. Do not over stretch.
Repeat daily.

Exercise 2:
Stand on the bottom step of a flight of stairs, holding the bannister.
Face up the stairs.
Place your toes on the step, but have your heels projecting over the edge of the step.
Gently lower your heels until you feel a gentle stretch in the back of your calves.
Repeat daily.

Now, the key things are do it gently, and stop if it hurts! You are looking for a gentle stretch, not pain!

But it was such an easy solution, and saves the cost of expensive orthotics and trips to the doc.
Although, of course, if this doesnt help, pursue the other options...

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I've had this condition, and the only thing that helped was orthotic insoles custom made by a podiatrist. He said I have raised arches and my feet tend to fall inwards (pronation), so the orthotics hold my feet in the correct position, reducing strain on the plantar ligaments. This problem and others that arise from structural anomalies can be painful and debilitating, so I encourage you to seek professional help with this. Especially to get a diagnosis.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Ouch...sounds sore. Maybe mechanical in my opinion as you do a lot of walking. Get checked by your podiatrist in case of inflammation or possible neuropathy. I get this often as I do have to change from leather shoes to trainers a lot. I have learned that fitted shoes are worth the extra cost.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you got a corn growing? Can you actually see the sore spot and is it sore to touch or only when you push it. Maybe you should visit your GP as we don't want you getting worse. Other than those words of non-wisdom I can't really help.

No corn that I can feel.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've had this condition, and the only thing that helped was orthotic insoles custom made by a podiatrist. He said I have raised arches and my feet tend to fall inwards (pronation), so the orthotics hold my feet in the correct position, reducing strain on the plantar ligaments. This problem and others that arise from structural anomalies can be painful and debilitating, so I encourage you to seek professional help with this. Especially to get a diagnosis.

Thank you I will try ( summer hols and self employed) :rolleyes::)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Plantar fasciitis is awful. I've had it variously.
As a pain preventative, orthotic insoles, or shoes with arch support work well.

However, there is a splendid pilates exercise which did wonders for me. I have been pain free for 2 years now, after about 6 years of pain.

Exercise 1:
Stand an arms length away from a wall. Reach out and place your hands against the wall at chest height. Keeping your heels flat on the floor, lean your entire body towards the wall, legs and back kept straight.
You should feel a gentle pull in the back of your calves.
Repeat daily.

Exercise 2:
Stand on the bottom step of a flight of stairs, holding the bannister.
Face up the stairs.
Place your toes on the step, but have your heels projecting over the edge of the step.
Gently lower your heels until you feel a gentle stretch in the back of your calves.
Repeat daily.

Now, the key things are do it gently, and stop if it hurts! You are looking for a gentle stretch, not pain!

But it was such an easy solution, and saves the cost of expensive orthotics and trips to the doc.
Although, of course, if this doesnt help, pursue the other options...

Thank you, I will try those exercises today

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi RRB hope the exercises help give some relief, son says he got his insoles from Amazon they are made by Pro II, he has a few pairs, some for his work boots that are hard form, but he has the memory foam insole on top for comfort, for his walking shoes trainers he has the ones with a cloth topping, and for walking about indoors he has the pull on elasticated type as they have a built up wedge for arch support,
Hope you get some help/relief soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
2015-07-26 12.06.57.jpg Friend has given me these as they were unused, so have cut them to size and put them in my slippers for the moment. Thanks again to everyone :)