Soup and the Diabetic

m1dpq

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great lot.. Jazz, People who think they are better than others..
Good oops Morning...

To all out there... who likes soups???

Okay we all do... but with so many different kinds, with tinned seeming so ugh...

We wrote a book with diabetics and those who are following a healthy eating plan...

Well here is one for you all to try.. if you like it I will post some more...

Comments are welcome...

Beetroot Borscht

Low Fat

Nutrition notes per serving.

Calories 113
Protein 4g
Carbohydrate 14g
Fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Fibre 3g
Salt 1.39g

Borscht is a general name for a whole variety of Eastern European beetroot soups that vary a great deal.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes - Cooking time: 45 minutes - Serves 4-6

1 Tbsp Olive Oil 1 carrot, finely grated (about 150g/5oz in total)
1 Leek, finely chopped 1.2 litres (2pints) beef of vegetable stock
1 Celery stick, finely chopped 2tspn red wine vinegar
275g (10oz) raw beetroot, peeled & finely grated
1 Potato, diced (about 100g/4oz in total) 1 tsp granulated sweetener
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
About 2 tbsp soured cream (replace with Fromage Frais & Quark mixed)

Heat the oil in a large pan and stir-fry the leek and celery for about 2-3 minutes until softened but not coloured, then add the beetroot, potato and most of the carrot, reserving some for garnish.

Pour the stock into the pan, season and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes or until the vegetables are completely tender and the soup has thickened slightly.

Season the soup to taste, and then stir in the vinegar and sweetener. Heat gently until the sweetener has dissolved. Ladle the soup into warmed serving bowls and garnish with a small dollop of Fromage Frais/Quark and the reserved grated carrot. Serve immediately.

Reactions: lorraine95

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thankyou for that but couldnt eat it, loads of carbs in beetroot and potato.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds lovely :) - a nice fresh soup for summer - the carbs are ok for me - I keep to below 20g carb for lunch so would be perfect - and the wine vinegar will help with BS and the cream will alter GI - beetroot is so good for you even if it is one of the more carby veg - full of antioxidants - will give it a try when the weather warms up a bit.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lovinglife said:
beetroot is so good for you even if it is one of the more carby veg - full of antioxidants - will give it a try when the weather warms up a bit.

Agreed, love beetroot in a salad or with cheese in a burgen bread sandwich :)

micalhassi

Soup is good for diabetic person. Specially in summer it is the best way to gain energy and keep control diabetes. Vegetables soup is getting popular because it have all essential vitamins and minerals. It keep diabetes factor under control and increase body power against its impact. Drink 2 times soup in a day then it is useful for you.

charlesjohn

Soup is good for diabetics.It help in controlling the sugar level inside the body . I have one soup recipe-
Diabetic Black Bean Soup
Ingredients needed:
1 slice bacon
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery
2 1/2 cup black beans, cooked, drained
2 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper, freshly

How to prepare:
Fry bacon over medium heat in small heavy frying pan, then crumble bacon and set aside. Heat bacon drippings over medium heat, saute onion and celery until tender, stirring occasionally. Puree beans in blender or food processor fitted with steel blade stir into vegetables.Mix in crumbled bacon and remaining ingredients, stirring occasionally until
soup is hot. Soup will thicken as it stands and can be thinned with additional water. If you want you can omit salt

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i do like soups and i usually make my own... its usually just throwing stuff in a pan.

today i will be doing a big batch to freeze in portions.

it will have:
spring onions, broccoli, spinach, red pepper, courgette, mushrooms...then i will put 2 sausages and 2 boneless chicken thighs in. probably a stock cube and water. that should not have alot of carbs. i probably will put about 1/4 cup of pearl barley. i usually get about 6 servings out of one batch. last time i did a soup it came out at about 13g of carbs which is not too bad for a meal for me.