Soup, soup, glorious soup!

opacity

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Consumerism, waste, modern self-obsession with appearance, animal cruelty, pollution. Lies and liars.
In my attempt to overhaul my diet, I have found a very useful appliance - the SOUP MAKER!!! I have increased my intake of healthy veggies remarkably since buying one of these. You just chop your veggies into rough chunks, throw them in the soup-maker, top up with some liquid stock (the carton type) and press start. It cooks, then blends, then cooks, then blends, until 20 minutes later you have 1.2 litres of thick, creamy soup. You can invent you own combo's but I use celery, leek, pumpkin, carrot, mushrooms, red capsicum and garlic, in assorted combo's. A blob of cream blended through at the end adds an even smoother texture. One tip: don't add chicken or meat - the texture becomes gritty.
You can also make chunky soup if you prefer. This appliance is also a normal blender, for smoothies, etc. Various brands are available online. Mine is called Soup Mate Pro.)
Now I always have a healthy snack on hand. (Or even a main meal, with the addition of some multigrain bread.) I am so pleased with this appliance I thought I would share this with everyone else.
Good health!

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion these are expensive gimmicks. Blenders themselves are only one third the price or less. All you then need is a saucepan to boil all your veg and stock for about 15 mins. Save money on the gadget and save time on preparation. Same healthy result.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Madbazoo said:
In my opinion these are expensive gimmicks. Blenders themselves are only one third the price or less. All you then need is a saucepan to boil all your veg and stock for about 15 mins. Save money on the gadget and save time on preparation. Same healthy result.

True, but it is less washing up and may (I haven't checked) use less energy than doing soup on the stove top :p

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes kitchen gadgets are just what is required to kick start someone into action. A slow cooker on the otherhand is useful because the act of slow cooking changes the properties of things like red meat by helping to break collagen down. An own branded supermarket slow cooker can be had for about £15 and is very useful for soups and stews and even porridge overnight. You can make some excellent onion soups in a slow cooker.

Morganator

A slow cooker is a brilliant kitchen gadget. I love just flinging everything in and forgetting about it and you can save money by buying cheaper cuts of meat (which are often tastier)
Even my 16 year old has mastered it and can rustle up a great curry or amazing pot roast. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We just use a stock pot for soup and a hand-held blender.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use my pressure cooker for soup it can be cooked in 10 mins then wizzed in the food processer and I dont worry about the washing up cos that is my husbands job :lol:
CAROL

Adem000

Which kind of glorious soup...........
I also cooked soup some time vegetable and chicken soup and some time cook simple vegetable soup...........

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leek and celeriac is good just soften the chopped leek in butter then add chopped celeriac until coated with the butter then add milk and water in equal amounts until the veg is covered by about 1 inch of liquid add a veg stock cube cook for 10 mins in pressure cooker or 20 mins in a tightly lidded pan ,then wizz or blend and serve with a blob of cream
CAROL

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have one of those soup makers, it's brilliant. You can put all the ingredients in and then just switch it on when you get home from work. All ready in about 20 mins, my fav at the moment is leek, green pepper, potato, garlic and some vegetable stock made from a stock cube. Add salt and pepper to suit. I don't usually have bread with it though as it contains potato. Give it a try I promise you it's delicious despite the very green colour!

K

Kat100

Yummie, I love making soups as well, try and have it everyday for lunch.....with half a bread roll...

Dyadya_Maykl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance.
I totally agree about soup, glorious soup. I regularly make borsch ( vegetable soup with beetroot) and cabbage soup.
I do not understand the need for a 'soup making gizmo'. What is essential is a big pan in which to make the soup, with a lid so as to gently simmer the contents. And why buy proprietary stocks? Make your own.
I buy some meat - the cheapest, leanest I can. Usually stewing steak - and I chop this up fine (around 200g into 3litres of soup) Gently bring that to the boil in 500ml water, scim off the froth ( needs to be done a couple of times).. Then chop up booetroot - I find it easier to wash the beetroot, and prviously boil it in water. When cold it is easy to peel, and chop up. For 3 litres of borsh chop up 3 to 5 bootroot, 2 medium potatoes, 3-4 carrots, 2 medium onions, and 5-6 cloves of garlic. When the meat stock has no more froth, add peppercorns, 0.5 tspn salt, 4 bay leaves and the chopped up root vegetables. Cover with water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for around an hour.
Beetroot is low in CHO, and gives a great colour and flavour.
You can add what you like to the soup - chillies, use lamb, beef or even chicken.
Cooking and preparation time - around 2 to 2.5 hours.
If I am feeling lazy - I use my kenwood chopper to chop the beetroot, carrots, onions and garlic. But not the potato - it makes it too small, and tends to make the soup too thick.
I find 3 litres lasts me around a week - a helping of 500ml a day - and around 3 CP per serving.
Incidentally, try and get the beetroot with leaves - shows it is fresh. The leaves are great steamed - a strong flavoured green vegetable, excellent with fish or meat. :angel:

bopeep12300

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use both my slow cooker & a blender. Got the blender for £15 from argos. I make leek & potato soup on the cooker, boil it with a couple of stock cubes then just pulse it in the blender. I agree it's so handy & quick.
Slow cooker meal is prepared the night before & keep it in the fridge in the crock pot till I actually put it on just before I go to work. It's so fab to come home to dinner already cooked all you have to do is eat :clap:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Opacity
soup is an excellent way of eating. I use a large pot and stick blender. I have dozens of soup recipes.
Hana

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I like soup, chunky though.

I use a pressure cooker, make loads and freeze the excess. Great way of using veg up that would otherwise go to waste.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Soup is great and very filling, as Mongoose says it freezes well so make sure to make a big pan of it :thumbup:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the only time i had soup in my life was when i was ill as a kid, so now it tastes like "ill" to me lol

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love soups. My favourite at the moment is thai pumpkin soup yumm