1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Spare Libre in Airport

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by dxlala, Dec 22, 2021.

1. dxlala

dxlala · Newbie

Hi, I've looked through the threads about carrying and wearing the FreeStyle Libre in airports but have an odd question I didn't see mentioned.

For my spare libres, can I take them unboxed or is it safer to keep them packaged in their boxes? Has anybody had any experience with it?

Would just save me space in my handbag if it's all good to be carried without the packaging! Thanks

2. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would open them and take a letter from my GP I case.

tbh I have not traveled with Libre yet.

Good luck

3. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have traveled with Libre in my arm and Libre in a box.
    The security at the airport don't bat an eye at either. They are not detectable and are no risk so I do not offer information regarding them

I DO tell them about my pump but only because it cannot be x rated

In short, take spare Libre however you want. Doctor's letters are not necessary for sensors

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Libre can be purchased without prescription so GP may not know about it. There is no need for a letter for Libre. Plus GPs charge for letters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don't have a libre but do take a bagful of meds with me including Schedule 3 controlled drugs. I pack them in a large transparent bag and take it out so they can see it. Most times the staff ignore it, although after avoiding the xray machine they carefully scan me with the hand scanner and test for other drugs! It takes about 5-10 mins extra for me to get through the checks so do allow more time.

edit: I do take the original boxes

6. dxlala

dxlala · Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, it's reassuring that security won't be too bothered about it at least

I've been lucky that my dietician wrote me a travel letter (without me even asking!) when I mentioned my plans so I guess I should be fine.

Thank you all again!

7. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Covid aside i travel to the canaries twice a year and all my type 1 gubbins including spare boxed libres are in my hand luggage with a copy of my prescription.
    I've never had an issue.

Tony

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook