Speeding absorption of food and insulin

JeromeFel47

Hi all,

I am on NovoRapid 3/4 times a day before meals and Lantus in the morning.

I am really struggling to understand how my body is working at the moment. I am trying to speed up the time it takes for my body to go back to the same glucose it was before a meal, after eating.
This used to take 2-3 hours at most and lately it is taking way too long, for example this morning it took over 4 hours!

Can anybody recommend or advise on how I can go about solving this?

I am usually quite active but admittedly I’ve not left my house in a couple of days, could that be it?

Thank you!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Unlike the body's insulin, injected insulin has a fixed curve for fast-acting of 4 hours. On DAFNE you learn to expect your blood sugars to take four hours to return to premeal levels.

You can flatten your peaks somewhat by taking your insulin and waiting for your blood sugars to drop 0.3 mmol/l before eating (if you have a Libre) - Dr Bernstein. Or going for a twenty-minute walk straight after eating. Or taking an ISA like Metformin. It's worth asking to your diabetes team.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeromeFel47

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I am on NovoRapid 3/4 times a day before meals and Lantus in the morning.

I am really struggling to understand how my body is working at the moment. I am trying to speed up the time it takes for my body to go back to the same glucose it was before a meal, after eating.
This used to take 2-3 hours at most and lately it is taking way too long, for example this morning it took over 4 hours!

Can anybody recommend or advise on how I can go about solving this?

I am usually quite active but admittedly I’ve not left my house in a couple of days, could that be it?

Thank you!
Things that might be going on:
1) you are injecting into a fatty lump caused by over injecting in same sight/blunt needles?
2) you have changed the company that your carb keeps e.g. carb with fat takes longer e.g. pizza vs morning porridge
3) if you have to take increasing doses of insulin to get the same effect then that would indicate some weight gain and insulin resistance.
4) stress/slight illness can cause higher bgs generally or affect digestion speed
5) obvious but have you delayed your jab for any reason. I often find that once my bg is elevated it takes longer to come down than if I'd injected 20 mins before the meal as recommended in the manual.
This can be a frustrating pattern but I'd be testing myself at 2 and 4 hours after the meals and trying to keep them similar to see if it is a bolus dosing or timing of insulin problem or the other things mentioned above.
Not leaving home for 2 days would not cause this!

Reactions: JeromeFel47