spicey food

pianoman

Hi mitsi. I love spicy food! I'm not aware that spices themselves have any negative (or positive) effect on Blood Glucose levels. In terms of health I understand that hot peppers (capsaicin) can be good for the blood circulation. Perhaps if you are not used to curry and ate a Vindaloo, the physical stress might send your BG high but it might more likely be the rice, chapatis and lager used to wash it down :D

Seriously, for me, I add spices to my food freely without concern for my BGs... what the spices are added to is where you probably need to look. I have heard that Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties but not sure there is scientific evidence to back it up... it tastes good anyway.

But spices can also be plus by adding flavour to your food... especially if you find you need to adjust your diet to manage BG control.

Did you have a specific example you were concerned about?

Phil72

I love a good curry,Either Thai or Indian. I find a lot of Thai Food has sugar Thais love sugar, As a general rule if I go out to eat a curry I ask which dishes have or do not have sugar Most thai food does although not all .but you would be surprised how many indian dishes do NOT.

I always ask each time I go Out as each chef has their own recipe so you cant make a list of dishes and rely on it. This also applies to western food.

Now chinese food I ask them to prepare my dish without sugar since most of their food is cooked in a wok this is not a problem and you soon learn what to order that you enjoy.

It goes without saying alway test your blood sugar levels just before you leave home or eat,Sadly not everyone is telling the truth. hope this helps :crazy: