Spicy food and diabetes

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Can anybody tell us whether chillies and spices have any impact on blood sugar level?

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a problem. But we all react differently...test before and after.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No, I like spicy, ghost chilli's are my particular favourite.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a curry every other day-ish!
Pataks massala is under 10% carbs and it doesn't affect my BSLs at all!

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Thanks to all . Myself is a person who can not live without spices/chillies in foods . I wanted to know whether anybody has any idea whether spices/chillies improve the blood sugar conditions (positive impact?)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only way you can find out if or how spices affect your glucose levels is to use a meter to test what they are before and after meals, so you need to be doing this as @Nuthead has suggested.

But you can also use Google to check if your spices have any carbohydrate content and what quantities (if any) you're likely to find in what you consider a normal sized portion in your recipes, and this should give some indication if they're likely to cause any changes in your levels. So. in general large portions of foods with high carbohydrate content are liable to cause higher levels, and small portions/low carbohydrate content are less likely to have such negative affects.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Experiment then test,
Experiment, test.
Repeat, experiment, test!
That's what I had to do! Some do spike, some don't'!
Make it an adventure or your own scientific experiment. Make it fun, get your grinds or family involved. So that they can understand why!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got time to make my own curries, and it's fun. I love the colours and aromas as well as the flavours. Unfortunately fresh spice doesn't stay fresh for long and outside big towns it's difficult to find shops selling small amounts, or less well known varieties. Health food shops (expensive) and Asian wholesalers are the best bet I suppose.
Actually I've had the same half a nutmeg since 1996 and it seems ok.

alliebee

I'm currently addicted to tumeric added to sauteed onions and mushrooms brilliant tasty side dish. I eat spices most days and happily munch on a chilli sometimes....never raise me and I eat a lot if curry

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Being indian I cant be without curry everyday, but I only eat a lot of veggies and when prepared at home they always are low carb as the ingredients we use in making it are all very low carb. In the restaurants they add sugar and honey to make them taste better but overall except roti and rice everything is fine, I do take a roti with my meals but its 2 in a day sometimes one and no bread at all what so ever now a slice of burgen does not spike me but I avoid it as much as I can. As far as spices go they are considered good for diabetics I think, certain specific one's like fenugreek seeds, cinamon are really good.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@alliebee I could give you loads of recipes :)
I tried cauli rice the other day and did not like it as I am a rice lover and I cant even eat cheap rice, too nosy when it comes to rice so made a change, after making the cauli rice and with it sitting in fridge for 2 days i just chopped some onions little bit of ginger garlic and chillis and whatever veggies I had pepper, broccoli, mushrooms.
In oil I put garlic ginger and chilli and then added onions to make it transparent then added all the veggies and fried them for a few minutes, added all the spices I have in spice box mainly garam masala, salt, pepper and some lemon juice, added the cauli rice and stirred it for a few mins and finished with some coriander in the end. It tasted so much better than the cauli rice on its own.

alliebee

@alliebee I could give you loads of recipes :)
I tried cauli rice the other day and did not like it as I am a rice lover and I cant even eat cheap rice, too nosy when it comes to rice so made a change, after making the cauli rice and with it sitting in fridge for 2 days i just chopped some onions little bit of ginger garlic and chillis and whatever veggies I had pepper, broccoli, mushrooms.
In oil I put garlic ginger and chilli and then added onions to make it transparent then added all the veggies and fried them for a few minutes, added all the spices I have in spice box mainly garam masala, salt, pepper and some lemon juice, added the cauli rice and stirred it for a few mins and finished with some coriander in the end. It tasted so much better than the cauli rice on its own.
Thankyou so much for this. It sounds lovely...I love experimenting with spices and I so miss rice... I'm currently in love with spinach too. Tried a type of aloo gobi but with celeriac and it was really nice. I miss the potato in it though

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
instead of potates I put a lot of carrot and peas in it, I also add some potatoes for my wife so I eat without and she gets all of those, although a few slices dont really spike me, neither the rice as long as I have about 10 spoons of them mixed with lentils, sometimes if I have a lot it does spike me but still within the NICE ranges but unfortunately I am not looking at those ranges as they are very easy to maintain even if i eat out or eat as many carbs as I want I am always within the NICE range

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Thanks all for interesting comments. I am also a rice and curry lover. Question for Brettsza :Do you take 10 spoons of rice with lentils and your sugar level does not rise?

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kaha
No it does not but If i get too greedy and lets say have biryani then it does so I just avoid it. I have only had rice 2 or 3 times in last 4 months of diagnosis but I do eat 1 to 2 rotis in a day, I dont know if you know what roti means, its just like a pancake made off i use wholemeal flour only but coz its thin I dont think it has too many carbs but I could be wrong and the meter is ok with me with 1 of it.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Did you mean you took rice 2 or 3 times during 4 months ? Or 2-3 times a week for last 4 months? I am confused. Yes, I know what Roti means , I take daily. I believe brown rice is better choice than basmoti type

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had it in 4 months i love rice but have had to let that go off my diet. I got brown rice but i dint like it so i went back to basmati but only few spoons