Spinach Bread

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I've been experimenting and I though I'd share the results ...
I've taken the recipe "Spinach Surrender" as a base and tried to make a bread replacement from it. Original recipe at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/spinach-surrender.html

I've basically tried to increase the quantities and add some bulk fibre. I've also removed the ham but you don't have to.

My version ...
8 eggs
150g grated cheddar,
150g spinach (blitzed in a food processor)
2 chia seed "shots" (about 15g)
2 tsp phyllium husks.

Mix it all together and pour into a loaf tin. Top with a layer of grated parmesan for a crust.

Bake for 40 minutes at 160C

2 slices = 1 serving. Myfitnesspal calculates the nutrition as 229 calories, 16g protein, 17g fat, 2g carbs.

What comes out is heavy and solid. I've cut a couple of slices to play with. One I tried to fry in butter and I'm happy to say that it took on a proper golden crust. The other slice I popped under the grill with some cheese and that also worked fine. And it tastes great. Here are a couple of pics...
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 26 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well done, it looks amazing. Yum!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Looks really good! Was it just fresh spinach leaves?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmnnn, rolled out thinly between parchment paper, the mixture might also make decent crackers???

Reactions: 7 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken the recipe "Spinach Surrender" as a base and tried to make a bread replacement from it. Original recipe at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/spinach-surrender.html

I've basically tried to increase the quantities and add some bulk fibre. I've also removed the ham but you don't have to.

My version ...
8 eggs
150g grated cheddar,
2 tsp phyllium husks.

Mix it all together and pour into a loaf tin. Top with a layer of grated parmesan for a crust.

2 slices = 1 serving. Myfitnesspal calculates the nutrition as 229 calories, 16g protein, 17g fat, 2g carbs.

What comes out is heavy and solid. I've cut a couple of slices to play with. One I tried to fry in butter and I'm happy to say that it took on a proper golden crust. The other slice I popped under the grill with some cheese and that also worked fine. And it tastes great. Here are a couple of pics...View attachment 15813 View attachment 15814

This looks great. What are 'chia seed shots' though?

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
This looks great. What are 'chia seed shots' though?
Chia Seeds can be bought in the supermarket, One brand sells them in little packets in a box. Each little packet is a "shot" of about 8g

Reactions: 2 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Chia Seeds can be bought in the supermarket, One brand sells them in little packets in a box. Each little packet is a "shot" of about 8g
You are amazing! When I first saw this post I thought how terrible.

I've got all the ingredients in the kitchen. I'm on it.

Thanks a million!!!!

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank for you for sharing this bread recipe!

Spinach, besides the plus of having a delicious taste, offers many nutritional benefits.

This leafy green is an excellent source of: vitamin A, vitamin K, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin B2, the amino acid tryptophan, and vitamin E. In addition, if you’re looking for foods high in dietary fiber and antioxidants, this green is a very good source.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey, @runner2009 ... how did your bread go?
It came out awesome. I made 2 - one with real Parmesan cheese and the other with the Kraft bottle one. Actually the Kraft tasted better more consistent. My GF loved it, son of course hated it.

I'm on the Newcastle Diet so in 5weeks are so its on my food list

Reactions: 4 people

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My version ...
8 eggs
150g grated cheddar,
2 tsp phyllium husks.

What comes out is heavy and solid. I've cut a couple of slices to play with. One I tried to fry in butter and I'm happy to say that it took on a proper golden crust. The other slice I popped under the grill with some cheese and that also worked fine. And it tastes great. Here are a couple of pics...View attachment 15813 View attachment 15814

@GeoffersTaylor , you have inspired me into action, truly, thank you. Followed your link to this post and saw your amazing bread. Have been doing low carb eating for a year , and not baked a low carb thing. Today, having seen your fantastic bread, decided to try cheese scones, almond flour style, and they actually came out OK!

image.jpeg

Recipe only very slightly adapted from marmaladeandmilesposts.com

Thanks for the inspiration.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tried a herby cake the other day, made with kale and courgette but based on same recipe as above.. It came out really suprisingly edible!!
Moist but didn't fall apart when cut and was lovely without toasting just with butter on...

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Chia seeds are something I haven't used before...are they very small? Do they feel 'gritty' in mouth. What I was thinking is that I have flour mill ...and wondering if there is any need/benefit to blast some through to make the seeds into more of 'flour' form??